PH meter bulk buy - Australia wide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll want calibrating solutions to check it's accurate to start with.
WHat level of brewing are you at? For all grain brewing I like to have calcium chloride and calcium sulphate on hand to lower ph. Both sold at decent HB shops. The other vital ingredient is a brewing water calculator like EZ or Bruin. Can't link atm. If you haven't done so already read Palmers 'How To Brew' section on water chemistry. It's free online.

Hi guys I'm just starting out getting all the gear at the moment for AG, so I'll get the solutions from HB shop and read the links. The PH tester should be here in 2 weeks or so from USA.

There's info in a thread somewhere if you search (not being smart just on my phone). But regardless Croydon water is generally pretty soft. I'm in Mooroolbark and used to just add a bit of calcium chloride to lower the ph on pale ales. I now filter the water and sometimes use RO water so I can work with a clean slate. If you're still working up to AG there'd be no harm brewing with water straight from the tap without salt additions but I like your enthusiasm!

Camo6 said:
There's info in a thread somewhere if you search (not being smart just on my phone). But regardless Croydon water is generally pretty soft. I'm in Mooroolbark and used to just add a bit of calcium chloride to lower the ph on pale ales. I now filter the water and sometimes use RO water so I can work with a clean slate. If you're still working up to AG there'd be no harm brewing with water straight from the tap without salt additions but I like your enthusiasm!
Thanks for that I want to get it right from the start :) by that I mean do things properly then I won't cheat myself lol.what do you filter water with? What is RO water? Excuse my ignorance Camo :).

Mooroolbark close by might have to exchange ales once I get it started :) cheers Wayne.

Reverse osmosis water - basically water with all dissolved solids removed. I have a cheapish unit from ebay that also has two carbon filters attached. Allows you to build your water profile from scratch. You know you're gonna need one of these too now! The slippery slope begins!

Hey guys, you have had these a while now. Are you happy with them? Any problems?

HI Ben, I must confess I have only used my meter once. There are more variables at play in the mash that keep me busy.

My has been excellent, once again only a few times, but because I have only brewed a few times.

If by any chance there's a member who participated in this buy that wants to pass their meter along i'm keen on one of the HI 98128 pHep®5.

For those people who bought a PH meter (and for anyone who is thinking of buying one), I have been asked to pass on to you that Hanna instruments are doing a webinar as follows:

Science of Beer

Learn about the basic parameters such as pH, temperature, and dissolved oxygen,
and their relevance to the brewing process

Tuesday, May 17
1:00PM – 2:00PM (AEST)

Go to the facebook event below to RSVP to the event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1747376845474731/

Cheers Andrew

Latest posts

Back