Taking Recomendations for pH Meter and Digital Thermometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
Given that these are pretty essential to good brewing, and I've already invested an shitload of time and money (and time is money) on brewing gear in recent years, I don't mind dropping a bit of my ill gotten loot on some electronic bling.

The ph meter must be easily calibrated, waterproof, and preferably come with bottles (not sachets) of buffers (4.0 & 7.0) and storage solutions, and be way better and cooler looking than the cheapo one I've nicked borrowed from work. Should be in .01 increments

Thermometer should be a probe type, waterproof, easily calibrated and be in .1 increments,

There's seriously metric ship tons of things that are similar to my requirement on eBay, but I really have no idea of which ones are any good, as the price seems to vary widely. I've heard the "Hanna" brand bandied about here a bit, but again, price varies across models that seem similar.

Happy to drop 2-3 hundred on the pair, if need be. I figure that's what I've saved by taking a punt on Handy Imports stock pots anyway.

Cheers,

FB

If you want genuine pH accuracy/resolution to the hundredths of points you're going to pay big and pay hard. I finally settled for genuine accuracy to the tenths of a point. All the advice I received was that tenths is fine for our purposes.

Oh yeah, Hanna, Sera Instruments and Milwaukee Instruments all have a good reputation and have models in your stated price range. .

Get yourself some decent homebrewers pH strips, they last a long time and don't need calibrating. I've got some that go from 4.6 to 6.2 and since I've had then I don't use my pH meter anymore.

Cheers Tex, that looks the goods. Will do some more research on that one.
Sparky, I got my strips from Craftbrewer, and borrowed some colorpHast ones from work. They work ok, although I always have nagging doubts in my mind about them.

Colourphast strips are consistently 0.3ph above the genuine reading. Any idea on where to get colorphast strips? Can't find them anywhere

I found all the local ones were not the best ranges for wort. The ones I got are here on ebay Cheaper than the sponsors and are an excellent wort range, being 4.6 to 6.2. If you get a few mates who want some the post becomes even cheaper.

Also FB, what do you want the thermometer for, as a calibration or standard use one? The use one should be part of the system, ie a stc or pid. The calibration one I use is just an alcohol filled brewers one from ebay.

Mostly for calibrating the PID's, but I also so I can return the non calibratable kitchen digital probe back to where it belongs, doing what it was designed for, checking the insides of dead animals.
I've had a few funny things going on with my brews in the past couple of months, so I really would like to be able to make sure all the temps and pH values are as good as they can be. They're probably not the issue, but I'll feel a lot better if I can eliminate them from my enquiries.

For a thermometer, I don't think you can go past a ThermaPen

A bit on the pricey side, but they read quickly and accurately, and come with a calibration certificate. Great for calibrating temperature controllers and cooking. I love mine.

QldKev said:
I found all the local ones were not the best ranges for wort. The ones I got are here on ebay Cheaper than the sponsors and are an excellent wort range, being 4.6 to 6.2. If you get a few mates who want some the post becomes even cheaper.
Nice

Can see a bulk buy starting up on these to reduce the postage cost.

Latest posts

Back