Please 'Help!' save my ESB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bats

Reaction score
I haven't had a lot of experience with re-using yeast but have done so quite a few times with great success...... Up until now.

A while back I brewed an AG ESB and pitched with a Wyeast smack pack of London ESB. It turned out to be one of the nicest beers I've brewed.

I brewed another ESB with a slightly different grain bill and hop schedule. I pitched 1 cup of the London ESB yeast from my previous brew.

It fermented well..... Too well! All the way down to 1.004. I have never had a yeast attenuate so well.

Now I know it's meant to be a bitter but I have had this in the keg for over a month now and it is still un-drinkable. It is too bitter and dry.

I don't know what to do to it. I thought letting it sit for a while might help but it still tastes foul.

Any ideas on what I can do to save this brew? I haven't had to dump a brew down the drain yet and I'd rather not start now. Too much time and effort go into my beers and I think I'd sulk for a week if I had to dump this.

Help me please.

Sounds a hell of a lot like an infected batch to me. Over-attenuation and horrid taste are some pretty obvious signs. And the likely culprit would be an infection introduced via the re-pitched yeast. You are probably gonna have to have that sulk!

Yes could be an infection. How did you gather and store the yeast sample?

Bribie G said:
Yes could be an infection. How did you gather and store the yeast sample?
I sanitised a bottle, funnel and measuring cup and just saved a cup of the slurry.

I was hoping I wouldn't hear th 'I' word :(

So far the consensus is that my beer has an infection. Might have to dump it after all :(

London ESB is one of the lower end attenuating yeast.

I agree to get it down to 1.004 certainly suggests infection to me.

However, how sure are you your hydrometer is correct?

What was the OG?

I've been using WLP002 which is supposedly the same strain, and I've never gotten near to 1.004. Getting ~64% AA.

The porter I'm fermenting now seems to be a bit stalled at 1.028

tiprya said:
What was the OG?

I've been using WLP002 which is supposedly the same strain, and I've never gotten near to 1.004. Getting ~64% AA.

The porter I'm fermenting now seems to be a bit stalled at 1.028
OG was 1.042.

warra48 said:
London ESB is one of the lower end attenuating yeast.

I agree to get it down to 1.004 certainly suggests infection to me.

However, how sure are you your hydrometer is correct?
My hydrometer hasn't given me false readings prior to or after this brew.

I'm guessing this brew can not be saved.

Latest posts

Back