Pitching On A Pat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the thinking on the colour of the yeast cake? Sometimes I notice a tan or light brown colour. Is this brought by a large quantity of dead cells?

I would also only pitch a cup of slurry rather than pitch onto the entire yeastcake for reasons already covered.

As for Nick's suggestion of bottling the yeastcake i would only pitch that directly within a week, 2 max. After that i would be making a small starter to get the yeast fired up to do the job.

The only infections i have had are from leaving a yeastcake in the fridge for more than 2 weeks and then pitching some into a wort. Long lag time followed by funky smells followed by dumping onto the lawn.

My 2 c
DrSmurto

let me get this correct if I want to reuse the yeast again all I have to do is get a clean cup full of the crap at the bottom of my fementer that has been mixed up a bit

give the fementer a wash out

make up my next brew and pour in the cup of mixed up yeast ?

let me get this correct if I want to reuse the yeast again all I have to do is get a clean cup full of the crap at the bottom of my fementer that has been mixed up a bit

Yes you could do that.....

I think I read somewhere that you can store it up to 6 months?? Don't quote me on that though.

I'd also like to know if this is ok with dry hopped beer? I've read that hops in wort too long can cause grassiness. Is it assumed that there isn't going to be that much mixed in with the slurry?
As I'm having an insanity moment cos I have 2 empty keg at the omoment. I'm having a double brew day Saturday. First brew I'm doing is a Summer Ale and the yeast I'm using is an 10 month old London Ale slurry that I cracked and chucked in a starter. going off like frog in a sock at the moment. Actually considering havesting the Krausen and dropping that in another start to use in that brew. Thinking krausen is fresh live yeast with any sedement etc. The other is an AuPA using the Coopers yeast in the fermeter at the moment, will most likely do the cup of slurry rather then dropping it on top. But could change my mind as Saturday isa few days away yet.

In The spirit of Mary Poppins...... Just cup of slurry makes the gravity go down, oh the gravity go down, oh the gravity go down.......in a most delightful way!

I am considering pitching the wort of my next brew onto the yeast pat I of the beer that is currently in the fermenter. Want to use the same yeast again in my next brew thought it would be just as easy to drop the wort straight on the fresh one or should just scoop out a couple of cups after I has siphined off the beer? Anyone have experience on this one, like to know the + & - 's of going down this track. Thought it might be quicker then building a starter from scratch.

Back in my can opener days I frequently did just as you have described.Worked great every time.

Have not done it with AG as yet. Reason being I only brew maybe once a month and I tend to plan when I want to brew. My can opener days would be, ah f**k Ive got a spare hour atm how about I wack a can of extract and some water then mix. I think you get the idea. Most likely when I want to brew a big belgian or a lager beer I will then give it a go.

Long lag time followed by funky smells followed by dumping onto the lawn.
My 2 c
DrSmurto

Yep I know about those issue's. I think we exchanged notes in the early days of going AG <_< Touch wood its been near on two years and 40+ AG's since that has happened to me.

BYB

Back in my can opener days I frequently did just as you have described.Worked great every time.

Have not done it with AG as yet. Reason being I only brew maybe once a month and I tend to plan when I want to brew. My can opener days would be, ah f**k Ive got a spare hour atm how about I wack a can of extract and some water then mix. I think you get the idea. Most likely when I want to brew a big belgian or a lager beer I will then give it a go.

BYB
Which one is that BYB pitch on the pat or go around kenny's and see if you can borrow your can opener back...???/ :p

Which one is that BYB pitch on the pat or go around kenny's and see if you can borrow your can opener back...???/ :p

Nup, I have all but handed over the can opener to my apprentice :lol: GMK :ph34r:

BYB

I am considering pitching the wort of my next brew onto the yeast pat I of the beer that is currently in the fermenter. Want to use the same yeast again in my next brew thought it would be just as easy to drop the wort straight on the fresh one or should just scoop out a couple of cups after I has siphined off the beer? Anyone have experience on this one, like to know the + & - 's of going down this track. Thought it might be quicker then building a starter from scratch.

Pitched a cube of 100% EKGoldings EIPA onto a 1332 yeast cake. So now got 3 beers in the fridge. Anyway, hopefully it'll turn out fine. First time for pitching on yeast "pat", not much to lose really, be interesting to see how it turns out. OG is 1060, EBC 32, IBU 42... So might not notice any off flavours anyway

By the way, I just kegged 2 beers and pitched on the pats/cake with both.
Both are bubbling away after 30 minutes. The wheat has really taken off. I will need to keep an eye on that one.

:icon_offtopic: DISASTER! One of my fermenting fridges didnt handle the heat of yesterday. Checked it around 9pm last night and it was up aroung 30 degrees. Got it down to 22 this morning.
Anyone had any experience with WB-06 getting up to 30 in a wheat beer?

:icon_offtopic: DISASTER! One of my fermenting fridges didnt handle the heat of yesterday. Checked it around 9pm last night and it was up aroung 30 degrees. Got it down to 22 this morning.
Anyone had any experience with WB-06 getting up to 30 in a wheat beer?

If it was only high for a short time 12 to 24 hours you should be ok depending at what stage of fermentation it is at, taste it and see what it is like see if it has gone phenolicy or not. Any strange smells or flavours if you do get any, may drop out after racking it for a week too. Play it by ear and see how it goes I had a wheat that got over heated for a day and was going to ditch but came right and took out a comp section as a beliner weisse.

If it was only high for a short time 12 to 24 hours you should be ok depending at what stage of fermentation it is at, taste it and see what it is like see if it has gone phenolicy or not. Any strange smells or flavours if you do get any, may drop out after racking it for a week too. Play it by ear and see how it goes I had a wheat that got over heated for a day and was going to ditch but came right and took out a comp section as a beliner weisse.

Well that gives me some hope.
It got to 30 about 6 hours into the fermentation and stayed there for about 6 hours.
Then (when I discovered it) I bought it back to 23 over the next 12 hours.
Hopefully I can keep it in the low 20's from here on. No chance of getting it below 20 as the fridge is pretty much buggered now.
I dont know what phenolic tastes like, and not too sure how it should smell, so its just fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Gregor

Ed:Typo

It got to 30 about 6 hours into the fermentation and stayed there for about 6 hours.
Hopefully I can keep it in the low 20's from here on. No chance of getting it below 20 as the fridge is pretty much buggered now.
I dont know what phenolic tastes like, and not too sure how it should smell, so its just fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Gregor

Short answer: Cloves.

Long answer: 2-Methoxy-4-(2-propenyl)phenol aka Eugenol aka clove oil. Although I would guess the yeasties would be busy making ethyl butyrate or isoamyl acetate @ 30C, which taste like banana. Personally, I think some pretty nice beers can be made at way too high temperatures so long as the dredead Fusel alcohols aren't being made. But it's a fine line between esters and fusels.

Gregor

Ed:Typo
I reckon you'll be fine no need to really worry for that kind of short period

Long answer: 2-Methoxy-4-(2-propenyl)phenol aka Eugenol aka clove oil. Although I would guess the yeasties would be busy making ethyl butyrate or isoamyl acetate @ 30C, which taste like banana. Personally, I think some pretty nice beers can be made at way too high temperatures so long as the dredead Fusel alcohols aren't being made. But it's a fine line between esters and fusels.

Is that english you are speaking? I have alot to learn.
Banana sound good!

Gregor

I've successfully brewed with bottled trub that was over 6 months old.

Whoops my bad it was fussels I was thinking of not phenolics I always get them mixed along with Diacetyl and DMS talk about being dyslexic when it comes to yeast. Also when posting I was being interupted by work, that doesn't help.

When it comes to wheats bananas and cloves are a good thing. :D

I regularly take a few scoops of the left over yeast cake after i empty the fermentor into the keg. I then put the bowl of yeast slurry in the fridge covered by glad wrap. After that i wash the fermentor out as normal, i think this helps kill any infection that might be in the early stages up around the lid or whatever. Then i fill the fermentor back up with fresh wort and drop the yeast slurry back in stir and away i go. I've done up to 4 brews in a row like this and i cant taste anything bad but then i do smoke.

I've left the slurry in the fridge for a day or two as well without any issues.

Back