Pimp My TapKing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my reg and the fml fitting should be a jic thread not bspt as in the eBay link Lucky I had something at work so Will test it tonight

just poured my first homebrew and seems to work sweet :D looks awesome in the fridge too.

IMAG1204.jpg

so i can get almost 2 tap kings from one 16g co 2 cartridge, i was really hoping to get at least two but probably short by 1 beer. so I'm thinking of trying to adapt a soda stream bottle to my mini reg just wondering if anyone can tell me if the type 30 soda stream adapter would screw into 5/8 bsp socket? the specs don't seem too far off, same pitch same tpi just 1mm bigger diameter but I'm thinking some thread tape or sealant could take up the slack. what do ya think ?

parts list is keg king regulator, 3/8 jic to 6mm barb fitting and 6mm hose its suprisingly simple

Nice work brewers ,can we get a step by step instructions on how to PIMP our TK for dummies? :lol: + pics
PS. Got 1 today for Dad's day.
1st thought, WTF.
2nd thought, thanks girls ,but I didn't wan't anything.
3rd thought,thank god they didn't buy a JEEP.
4th thought,now I can PIMP my TK for home brew.
:lol: :super:

I also would love to see some pics of this conversion. Particularly to the full sodastream bottle.. Don't own one yet so no rush but if it looks worth doing I may be inclined to speed up the buying of said 'tap king'..

leahy268 said:
I also would love to see some pics of this conversion. Particularly to the full sodastream bottle.. Don't own one yet so no rush but if it looks worth doing I may be inclined to speed up the buying of said 'tap king'..
Really nothing to it. Undo all the screws you see on TK, remove white regulator, Jam little tube into bigger tube, connect bigger tube to a real regulator.
The sodastream bottles have an ebay brass converter which screws sodastream onto real regulator. Just gets trickier sourcing parts when you try to 'miniaturise' the regulator.

So just wondering if you need to remove the collar from the tapking kegs to refill them with your favourite homebrew/ cleaning etc? Cheers guys

I would be in favour of a sticky thread covering a step by step process for this.
I got a tap king the other day from the Mrs and I am going to have at it and see if I can get home brew ready with it.

Should be a worthwhile excercise, just need to find the time to do it.

Cheers,
D80

well i managed to take it to the mancave and removed the top from the kegs by simply untwisting in the vise lol. do i leave the small co2 bottle in the head assembly after refilling and does the modified head unit with alternate bottle gas and serve the beer or just serve?

Lid comes off by hand but there is a little TK branded lever or GO THE VICE!
Yeah you can leave the old co2 bottle in lid if you want, you can remove co2 bottle if you want but you need to reassemble the plastic sheath.
It can force carbonate, just dial up pressure and let it chill for ? days or shake it, obviously force carbing will use more gas.

Having said that I just use it to dispense my carbonated HB.
I also use it to dispense 'new bought' beer and then use the new co2 bottle for better beer in an unmodified TK.

Do you need to remove the white regulator? I found it pretty easy to just lift the lid and remove the tubing without having to take anything more apart.

I'm seriously considering doing this myself, however I'm prob thinking of going with the sodastream bottle.
What fittings did you need to get the sodastream bottle to work?

moosebeer said:
Do you need to remove the white regulator? I found it pretty easy to just lift the lid and remove the tubing without having to take anything more apart.
You could leave the white reg in but if you put a new bottle of James Squire or something in it will still pierce bulb and immediately discharge it.
No problem if the bulb has already been used though.

You might have a hard time re-joining tubing without taking it apart? but post it if you can.

pist said:
I'm seriously considering doing this myself, however I'm prob thinking of going with the sodastream bottle.
What fittings did you need to get the sodastream bottle to work?
Simplest way is sodastream bottle + ebay SS adapter + full size regulator + 6mm hose + stainless clip as reducer. (It's a bit bulky though in my opinion)

If you find an adapter to step down from normal 'type 30' thread to the 16g bulb thread size let me know.
Likewise if you find a 90degree elbow for 'type 30' threads let me know as it will save space in fridge.

mrTbeer said:
You might have a hard time re-joining tubing without taking it apart? but post it if you can.
Had no problems at all doing this. I'm just going to be rotating through 2 bottles for my old man to have some home brew in his fridge.

:icon_offtopic: but has anyone considered making magnets for the tap and also is there any cheaper or better ways to keep it cool while out of the fridge than that ebay stubbie holder?

:icon_offtopic: but has anyone considered making magnets for the tap and also is there any cheaper or better ways to keep it cool while out of the fridge than that ebay stubbie holder?
You could always use a button badge maker for the tap branding. It's got a good little magnet on the tap.
I haven't seen one since I was a kid though.

As for keeping the TK cool while out of the fridge.

20130908_181609.jpg

This works a treat! Gives you around an hour in coolish weather.

What have you got the bottle sitting in there?

What have you got the bottle sitting in there?
It's what happens when you drink the whole bottle in one sitting just so you can pull it apart.

Just a bit of left over building insulation. It's a layer of foam sandwiched between reflective foil and a bit of reinforcing fibre.
When the head unit is fitted the little flap goes under the base to keep the whole setup at the proper angle.

Latest posts

Back