My Single Vessel Biab Electric Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But won't the galvanic reaction still happen when there is liquid in the pot making the connection?

Apparently not. My understanding is that you need a closed path for it to happen, with one side being the ion path through the liquid and the return path bieng the direct electron path through the two metals. By seperating the metals you break the electron path.

Apparently not. My understanding is that you need a closed path for it to happen, with one side being the ion path through the liquid and the return path bieng the direct electron path through the two metals. By seperating the metals you break the electron path.

Correct.

In that case should I disassemble the fittings from the pot whenever it's not being used? or should the teflon tape take care of the contact problem?

My understanding is that you need a closed path for it to happen, with one side being the ion path through the liquid and the return path bieng the direct electron path through the two metals.

[quote post='934323' date='Jul 13 2012, 03:32 PM']In that case should I disassemble the fittings from the pot whenever it's not being used? or should the teflon tape take care of the contact problem?[/quote]

When it's not being used you have removed the other side of the path. The pot has been emptied and will soon dry, so no ion path through liquid (except where condensation pools aroung your stand-off bolts) :icon_cheers:

UPDATE: Did my first brew last weekend and everything went beautifully!

That means that these cheap elements http://www.stoveconnection.com.au/shop/ind...s/kz24hq00.html can be bent by hand and perform well! I didn't get any hotspots or shorting.

The 2400W was a bit too weak to give me a solid boil, but my plumber mate is getting some fancy fibreglass duct insulation for me to put on which I think will improve the boil immensely (a few old towels helped, but didn't quite cut it)

The only "disaster" during the brew day was my immersion chiller sprung a leak while I was inside having lunch so added a few liters to the beer so a 20L batch ended up being 25L (calculated and added 400g of table sugar since it was the only thing I had available)

Hey Impy, I'm thinking of using one of these for a kettle to heat my mash water, how is the bend holding up?

Latest posts

Back