PicoBrew Zymatic: the Automatic Beer Brewing Appliance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PicoBrew will gauge demand and help fund production by selling its initial runs of Zymatic machines on the Kickstarter project-funding site. Early machines will sell for around $1,300 and should be delivered in January. Later models, arriving in February and beyond, will cost about $1,500.
Not a bad price either,also good for those with party cornies

Not bad. But only available in North America. Watch that price go all Braumeister on us when it comes here in 2016.

How about reading? To get your SG and everything pre-boil?

It looks pretty cool, but is a pretty small volume produced (2.5 Gal).

It is a lot of money to spend on a system that can only make quantities than you can very easily on a stove top.

I think it would be a lot better if it came with a jacket for the keg so fermentation temperature and be controlled. That would really make it an all in one system.

From what I can tell it looks like they have some kind of RIMS style kettle heating going on. So they start with water in the keg, grain in the tray, recirculate these for the mash. Then some valve will stop the recirc going thru the mash and redirect it back to the kettle(keg). Though I don't see if there is another container where the hops get dumped, where wort passes thru, could be one behind the malt tray. So it recircs the keg with the RIMS element long enough for their "boil" which they say is less than a boil temperature wise, but they seem to think it works fine. If you liked this sort of thing one could make a version pretty easily I reckon, with the recirculating keg thing going on - looks like most of the work is in the 'automation' side of things, rather than the brewery itself.

Depends how much you want to spend to avoid turning some ball valves, and dumping some hops at various intervals,.

I'm not that into the idea of an external calandria on a keg. Interesting though. Good to see a different approach to a small unit.

I can shed some light on this as I am one of the cofounders. joined this site since we don't sell to Australia and wanted to go silent on the US sites since I might be biased.

It is a HERMs system, as we use a plate heat exchanger with a hot water set. The delta T between the hot water/glycol loop and the wort is less than 11°C.

All the ingredients are pre-loaded into the container we call the step filter. Fluid distribution is accomplished with two pumps and a stepper motor driven fluid distribution nozzle on a rotating arm.

because the compartments containing the grain and hops or adjuncts are separated, everything can be kept from pre wetting or getting wet when not desired.

We had a lot of concerns while designing the system about getting proper hot break and hops utilization. Turns out there is nothing magical about 100°C except that water does not get hotter than there. One of our major breweries is Coors, which makes beer at 1.5 Km where boiling temperature is quite a bit lower than 100°C. of course for us, the proof was in the glass.

I do have to say that when doing a conventional all grain home brew, a vigorous boil made better beer than a low boil, but I believe that had more to do with it agitating the kettle better than a simmer did.

The decision on the 2.5 gallons had to do with making a machine that fit under a kitchen counter. I live in an area where we get about 30 days over 38°C, so it was a bit unpleasant making beer outside at that time. of course that's the time when beers is most needed.

That's a good point about brewing at altitude.

Could you perhaps use the same heat exchanger post-boil for chilling if the user desired?

Seems to me your target market would appreciate the ability to control the temperature of the keg during fermentation. You already have a pump, thermostat, and heat exchanger, add a heat pump and you've got a complete solution.

We thought about it but the energy requirements to chill even 2.5 galons of wort are high if you want to do it in under 30 minutes. It would have added a lto of weight also.

Instead, we use the simple Home brew standby- circulate through the copper coil immersed in ice water. We interrupt the line from the keg to the machine, so we get all our temperature reading working on the machine. With 8 kg of ice we can cool in 20 minutes to pitching. We don't offer the chiller coils, that's something the brewer supply stores do much better than us.

So a lesson to take out this is that with conventional equipment and process we can do the wort 'boil' at something less than 100C as long as we agitate the wort? (say, with a 12v BBQ rotisserie motor with a paddle attached?). What temp does the PicoBrew Zymatic get to?

This would be a big saving on energy/cost.

Or am I missing something.

I would be interested in the viability of these all-in-one systems. As a brewer I don't see them being viable but there may be a market for the 99% of 'normal' people who are not yet brewers.
I do think though that they are still pretty niche products and will quickly be outgrown.

Feldon said:
So a lesson to take out this is that with conventional equipment and process we can do the wort 'boil' at something less than 100C as long as we agitate the wort? (say, with a 12v BBQ rotisserie motor with a paddle attached?). What temp does the PicoBrew Zymatic get to?

This would be a big saving on energy/cost.

Or am I missing something.

Have a look at this article if this sort of info interests you.

View attachment 02 - The function of wort boiling1.pdf

Rurik said:
Have a look at this article if this sort of info interests you.
Thanks, Rurik. Got that. But it doesn't say anything about conducting the wort 'boil' at anything less than 100C. Which is apparently what this PicoBrew machine does (happy to be corrected).

I have been thinking of building a HLT with the elements in tubes on the side of the kettle. this would create a thermo syphon and agitate the liquid. But here is a thought.
Strike water gets heated in the fermenter with heat exchanger.
Mash into esky the heat exchanger maintains temp.
drain wort back to fermenter
continue to heat/boil in fermenter with heat exchanger for hop additions divert wort through hop chambers.
when boil is finished continue circulating wort but chill the heat exchanger.
An interesting thing would be the maintain ferment temps with heat exchanger.

Call me stupid but boiling at altitude is still boiling even if it occurs at a lower temp.

If your at a altitude where it occurs at 100 degrees or close to it wouldnt it need to get to 100 deg for volatile compounds to be removed etc?

Are these things built in the US of A? If so, I wonder how much cheaper they could get if the production was based in China or Vietnam etc...

Feldon said:
Thanks, Rurik. Got that. But it doesn't say anything about conducting the wort 'boil' at anything less than 100C. Which is apparently what this PicoBrew machine does (happy to be corrected).

This article forms part of a whole series on wort boiling which you can access if you are doing one of their exams (I did one about 3 years ago). In it they explore how far down the temps can go. From memory they talk about one brewery that after they achieve hot break they will let the temp get down to 80 deg C. Their kettle has pumps installed the sprays the wort in a fan like shape. This achieves the desired boil off with a huge energy saving.

Latest posts

Back