Mangrove Jack Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkie88

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has done one of the mangrove jack ginger beer kits before? Trying to figure out if it's going to be like an alcoholic 'ginger beer' or more of a gingery 'normal beer'. It says it has hop extract and malt extract which sounds like a normal beer to me?
I'm not a fan of normal beer so if it's the gingery beer type then I might give it away to someone or swap it rather than bother brewing it up!

Cheers

In case anyone else was wondering, I got this back from mangrove jacks support team:
It’s definitely a beery one – it’s a malt beer that is flavored with ginger, as opposed to an alcoholic ginger beer based on the soft drink style of ‘traditional’ ginger beer.

Having malt extract in it will not be an issue - haha that you're not a fan or normal beer might be something to keep to yourself in here ;-) But perhaps you could ask the support guys the IBU level of the hops in the kit - as I suspect it's very low and likely not very bitter.

In which case seeing as you've already bought it you could just bulk up the ginger flavour and use.

Getting an alcoholic ginger beer thats bottle carbonated and with a sweet finish without the use of artifical sweeteners is very hard to do - so as I suspect this is what you are after you might find it a tough one to pull off.

Having malt extract in it will not be an issue - haha that you're not a fan or normal beer might be something to keep to yourself in here ;-) But perhaps you could ask the support guys the IBU level of the hops in the kit - as I suspect it's very low and likely not very bitter.

In which case seeing as you've already bought it you could just bulk up the ginger flavour and use.

Getting an alcoholic ginger beer thats bottle carbonated and with a sweet finish without the use of artifical sweeteners is very hard to do - so as I suspect this is what you are after you might find it a tough one to pull off.
It says it's 12-18 IBU on the website - I have no idea what that means though 😁

I gave my old fermentasaurus to a mate and gave him the ginger beer kit too so he can try it out - he does like normal beer so he'll get more use out of it than me!

I did one GB kit from the local shop (Australian Home Brewing) and that came out decent, it got stuck halfway but adding another yeast starter woke it up.
I've kegged it so that probably made it a bit easier for the carbing - just need to drink it now. Then I'll probably get another one of their kits or try a brigalow/morgan one maybe. The. The next step would be one from scratch I guess!

Back