PicoBrew Zymatic: the Automatic Beer Brewing Appliance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doon said:
Call me stupid but boiling at altitude is still boiling even if it occurs at a lower temp.

If your at a altitude where it occurs at 100 degrees or close to it wouldnt it need to get to 100 deg for volatile compounds to be removed etc?
The removal of volatiles has more to do with agitation then temp.

One thing you do get better with a boil is water evaporation. The ability to control final gravity by increasing or decreasing the amount boiled off in an actual boil gives most home brewers a valuable tool for hitting OG.

In the PicoBrew we only get a couple points gravity increase during boil. Luckily we have had enough runs that the recipe calculator accuratly predicts final OG within +_0.001 normally (assuming proper grind size, water chemistry on a single step mash). We do get volatiles removes since the wort sprays into the hops compartments.

Sweet well I have learnt something new!

Picobrew said:
One thing you do get better with a boil is water evaporation. The ability to control final gravity by increasing or decreasing the amount boiled off in an actual boil gives most home brewers a valuable tool for hitting OG.

In the PicoBrew we only get a couple points gravity increase during boil. Luckily we have had enough runs that the recipe calculator accuratly predicts final OG within +_0.001 normally (assuming proper grind size, water chemistry on a single step mash). We do get volatiles removes since the wort sprays into the hops compartments.
What is the evaporation rate?

Picobrew said:
It evaporates about 1-2 pounds during boil, variable with ambient humidity.
and we've just slipped out of metric... ;)

just kidding, you've been great to answer all our questions - and do so in our local metric "language".

Rurik said:
This article forms part of a whole series on wort boiling which you can access if you are doing one of their exams (I did one about 3 years ago). In it they explore how far down the temps can go. From memory they talk about one brewery that after they achieve hot break they will let the temp get down to 80 deg C. Their kettle has pumps installed the sprays the wort in a fan like shape. This achieves the desired boil off with a huge energy saving.
Hi Rurik,

Thanks for the article, that's great. Do you have any of the other in the series that you can share?

Cheers

Breezy

Breezy too said:
Hi Rurik,

Thanks for the article, that's great. Do you have any of the other in the series that you can share?

Cheers

Breezy
Completely OT but that weblink at the bottom of the pages in that article is no longer an active website - the domain is actually for sale.

Anyway, back OT ... the Picobrew does look like a cool device, and for someone who is getting back into brewing and looking to step up to AG, it did capture my attention ... until I realized that I want the ability to 'stuff around' with ball valves, pumps, and enough stainless steel to make my wife look cranky every time I talk about it :D

AND, I think its great they jumped onto the forums here and answered some questions!

Breezy too said:
Hi Rurik,

Cheers

Breezy

Not really, they are pretty protective of the material and I don't want to open that can of worms. The article I posted I found for download from their website.

Crouch said:
Completely OT but that weblink at the bottom of the pages in that article is no longer an active website - the domain is actually for sale.
If you mean this on http://www.ibd.org.uk it is working for me.

What about high gravity beers like barley wines, IIPA , RIS or Belgian ales that use sugar adjuncts?

I think it would be a good fit for people who prefer pods to fresh ground coffee, kind of thing.

What about high gravity beers like barley wines, IIPA , RIS or Belgian ales that use sugar adjuncts?

I think it would be a good fit for people who prefer pods to fresh ground coffee, kind of thing.
their FAQs mention adding DME to the grist, but the container is pretty limited in that manner for grains only i'm guessing. i agree with you though. for me, it would be one of those things i'd buy if i was time poor but still wanted AG

Nice looking piece of kit, well done. Spending that amount of dough on making beer would have me shot by the Senior Minister at the Department of Arguments

My 40L pot off yum-cha ebay seller does me, its made plenty of great beers (and a few shit ones too!)

Brewing has certainly changed from when I was brewing in my dads carport many years ago. With a 20 year hiatus and only getting back into brewing because of new technology: WilliamsWarn (WW) it looks like things are taking another step 'forward'. Whilst I appreciate the more traditional ways of brewing, with new technology comes new home brewers, this can only be a good thing for brewing. If this machine comes to Oz it would be a good adjunct to the WW. In the meantime I will slowly work my way towards allgrain brewing

I have stumped up for the International version. Its on Pre-order and will arrive in July. I am not fussed by the 2.5GL output.
The Complete lack of variation between outputs means that I can make 2 batches in 1 day (6 -7 hours of wait time for very little work time) and achieve 5GL to fill a keg..

I am time poor - but want to move to AG brewing from extract. This allows me to do it.

Gibboaus said:
I have stumped up for the International version. Its on Pre-order and will arrive in July. I am not fussed by the 2.5GL output.
The Complete lack of variation between outputs means that I can make 2 batches in 1 day (6 -7 hours of wait time for very little work time) and achieve 5GL to fill a keg..

I am time poor - but want to move to AG brewing from extract. This allows me to do it.

Let us know how it goes. I am fascinated by it as a concept.

I received my [member='PicoBrew'] shirt in the post just the other day - July can't come quick enough

Just to let you all know - the first devices have started shipping in April and I'm still expecting mine in July so not too ling. Hopefully the import tax isn't too steep.
Also interesting the device is also very capable of Sous-vide cooking. Now I have to get my grain mill organised. I can't wait to start reading the recipe interface online.

Back