Perlic taps. Dimensions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
G,day all,I am stuffing around with a keezer ( long term project) and this arvo been fiddling with a home made font made from PVC sewer pipe,what I am after is info on the sizes of perlic taps as in mounting hole dimensions and how much a perlic tap protrudes into the inside of the font,I have searched but no doubt didn't see the info.
Anyone got one that can give me the sizes ,also if you have Perlic taps are you happy with them?
The plan is to mount the taps into 50mm PVC sewer pipe so you can see how the dimensions are important,with 4 taps on the 50mm pipe.
Cheers....spog...

Don't worry about the dimensions,I just found them.
But anyone got any probs with the Perlic flow restricter models

Can't comment on the taps, but would love to see photos of your DIY font project!

Goatus,it's a long term project,I will post a pick shortly.
I have made model of what I am planning from PVC sewer pipe,the main section is 80mm and the top section for mounting the taps is 50 mm pipe,I think the correct name for the style is gallows,though not very PC.
I bored the holes with a hole saw then filed them to the correct fit and glued them together with a hot glue gun.
The idea is to experiment using sewer pipe before I use the copper pipe I have,using the PVC allows me to stuff around with various designs before I commit to the final choice.
I was thinking of making a few then painting them to see what they look like when finished,I was looking at Brass,Copper or a rust finish available from Dulux paints but at around $80.00 for the "rust look paint " I shelved that idea.
I found on the Internet today various pics of fonts made from old metal pipes complete with threaded elbows and base plates,the industrial look is bloody nice but too big for my keezer build.though I may change my mind.
Have a look at Pinterest,some amazing examples there
. image.jpg base pipe is 350mm long and the cross arm is 600mm long.
image.jpg this shows the 2 hot glue joins the Lhs is raised to look like a weld and the Rhs was smeared to look like a soldered joint
.image.jpg this is the 700mm long by100mm diameter copper pipe that I plan to use once I decide on the final idea.
I am drilling and fitting the pieces together as I don't like the looks of the PVC joiners,T's,elbows etc,but the caps can be made to look pretty good by glueing domed nuts or even cut off bolt heads onto the ends of the caps or I.P caps ( Inspection covers) to make them look as if they are bolted on metal plates.

Great stuff!

I was considering doing something similar after seeing this blokes work on etsy.

il_570xN.554821436_fp2c.jpg

Cant find anywhere to source the cool flanged pipe fittings in australia tho.

Post pics of your progress.. nice project.

In relation to the Perlick 545 flow control taps, I have a pair of them, and they are great. I have never used any other taps though, so nothing to compair them too

I think most people on the forum would agree that they are worth the money

Nice work on the font too, i will keeping an eye on the progress

goatus said:
Great stuff!

I was considering doing something similar after seeing this blokes work on etsy.

Goatus have a look at aap industries for the flanges and pipework. Use them as a supplier for work and they have the goods :)

goatus said:
Great stuff!

Yeah that's a beauty ,the variations are endless,the finish looks like it could gun metal grey.
I have seen some made using old fire extinguishers,I am also toying with the idea of using some pipe coupled together with some turned wooden fence post caps in an attempt to make a font that looks like a ceramic font with 2 taps in it at the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions.
I think they are called Bespoke and are on the Celli website.

blair said:
Goatus have a look at aap industries for the flanges and pipework. Use them as a supplier for work and they have the goods :)
Cheers, ill look into it. :)

blair said:
Good on ya Blair, I've been looking to go down a similar route (TappedBeer on etsy/website) with a 5 tap design, insulated/chilled feed lines and running old school light fittings on either side of a H style pipe system. Hinged setup behind the taps to gain access, that or I will get a size bigger and make a bolt on/off back part. Pic below kind of describes it:

OGk3tJX.jpg

Fattox,have a look at sites like Bracton and Celli in their catalogues you will find drawings of fonts with all the measurements for hieghts,widths and centres for tap placements.
Cheers....spog..

spog said:
Fattox,have a look at sites like Bracton and Celli in their catalogues you will find drawings of fonts with all the measurements for hieghts,widths and centres for tap placements.
Cheers....spog..
Perlick 4 lyf haha. I was planning on going all Perlick bar my one QuickDraw tap (new company in the States, I figured I'd try one of theirs and see how it goes as a lot of brewpubs are converting to their taps). Been and had a look already.

On the same note though, I have the tap but nothing to fit lines etc. to it. Some sort of shank I imagine?

With the long-horizontal-pipe type fonts, how do you get your hand inside the pipe to tighten the nuts on the back of the taps?

I've seen some in bars that are more than a metre long, my arm isn't that long, and my hands too big anyway.

Hey Spog so you have dimensions for those Perlicks?

By dimensions do you mean the mounting hole size ?
If so i have been told its 7/8 of an inch or 22mm .
As for the measurements of the taps themselves ,no.
At some stage I will buy one so I can fiddle with positioning and a final design but ATM it's a while off

With the long-horizontal-pipe type fonts, how do you get your hand inside the pipe to tighten the nuts on the back of the taps?

I've seen some in bars that are more than a metre long, my arm isn't that long, and my hands too big anyway.[/quote

Now that's a good question.
Maybe an open end spanner with an extension of some sort on it,must be a simple answer because the lines have to attached to the back of the tap first ,then the tap fixed to the font,thinking more about it the tool has to be some sort of open end ratchet .
Or do the tap bases have a locking nut that is on the outside of the font and is then covered by outer tap body?
Sorry to ask a question over yours.

Just stumbled across this as I'm going to make a font with PVC pipe for a portable party setup..

Just wondered if there are any updates, or how the project is coming along.. I'll likely post mine in here plus the kegging setups thread.

Plan on being a setup which can be easily put together and disassembled.

Tahoose said:
Just stumbled across this as I'm going to make a font with PVC pipe for a portable party setup..
Just wondered if there are any updates, or how the project is coming along.. I'll likely post mine in here plus the kegging setups thread.
Plan on being a setup which can be easily put together and disassembled.
No progress from me on this at the moment I have been fiddling around with another possibility ,see the beer line size thread.
I'm a bit of a mad scientist with my planned keezer and font built and have been stuffing around with different ideas for the keezer setup,style,finish etc as well as font designs,styles and so on.
As for a possible font made from PVC sewer pipe I would choose 100 mm pipe because it would be easier to connect the taps internally the joints could be held together by grub screws of some sort that can be disguised as small bolts to give it the industrial look and then painted brass, copper or whatever finish you like, the diameter of pipe would be governed by where you want to mount it and how well it will match and not look too heavy or oversized for you bar.
Or an alternative method of jointing could be a small dob of silicone on each joint after it has been painted to help hold it together but be easy to pull apart for maintenance or repairs,although the pipes themselves are a snug fit on their own without glues and a coat of paint on each before assembly will only help to make the joins more secure.
Cheers....spog...

spog said:
But anyone got any probs with the Perlic flow restricter models
I've just started using a Perlick 650SS and although I can't compare it to anything as it is my first tap it works perfectly.
They are not cheap but worth it IMO.

Actually thinking about your portable party setup,maybe a small wheelie bin that is big enough to fit a corny keg,bung a drain plug in the bottom and put ice in the bin for cooling and a piece of ally checker plate on the lid,then using a 100 mm sewer IP cap bolted upside down on the lid with a length of 100 mm pipe fitted into it with a 100 mm cap on top.
Fit the tap to the pipe and drill a hole through the IP cap to feed the line from the keg into the font. Then maybe a bracket of some sort on the back of the wheelie bin to hold a small gas cylinder,is there a gas cylinder available that will slid into a length of ...yep 100 mm sewer pipe that could be easily mounted on the back of the bin?.
Cheers....spog...

Back