Pepperjack Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
Just opened up the local rag today and pickle me grandmother another beer has hit town. Saltrams Wine Estate, part of the Fosters conglomerate has released a beer that is apparently made at Matilda Bay. Its called Pepperjack Ale named after one of their wine labels called Pepperjack. It seems Fosters will stop at nothing to gain some leverage in the ever growing savvy beer market. Its available only at Saltrams cellar door (or so it says) here in the Barossa. $18 a six pack. I will have to shoot across on the week-end to see what the fuss is all about. The article I read seemed to be one of those corperate wank articles :rolleyes:

BYB

Will share a six pack with you.

Just bought the Boags Wizard Smiths Ale today that was mentioned in the same article...

Will share a six pack with you.

Just bought the Boags Wizard Smiths Ale today that was mentioned in the same article...

BBC next meeting or maybe a private tasting B)

BYB

I had a bottle of the Boags Wizard Smiths Ale the other night and whilst it was drinkable and generally enjoyable it wasnt anything special - thinish body with a big hop finish - pretty similar to First Harvest.

They call them ales.........

I had a bottle of the Boags Wizard Smiths Ale the other night and whilst it was drinkable and generally enjoyable it wasnt anything special - thinish body with a big hop finish - pretty similar to First Harvest.

They call them ales.........

I would also have to agree. Had a BBC meeting here and GMK left a bottle in my fridge. Do they use E.K Goldings?

BYB

I had the Pepperjack last week. A very nice beer in my book, especially for a bottled one. Great hop aroma & flavour. I only got to sample 1 bottle as i was driving, so not sure how it'd go as a session beer.

cheers Ross

Just opened up the local rag today and pickle me grandmother another beer has hit town. Saltrams Wine Estate, part of the Fosters conglomerate has released a beer that is apparently made at Matilda Bay. Its called Pepperjack Ale named after one of their wine labels called Pepperjack. It seems Fosters will stop at nothing to gain some leverage in the ever growing savvy beer market. Its available only at Saltrams cellar door (or so it says) here in the Barossa. $18 a six pack. I will have to shoot across on the week-end to see what the fuss is all about. The article I read seemed to be one of those corperate wank articles :rolleyes:

BYB

Pepperjack - Pure Neck Oil IMHO :D

Great beer, hope they contiue playing around with this genre of beers, well worth a sixpack.

This has me thinking.

A friend of mine makes about 400L of wine per year - a mix of grapes but mostly Merlot and Shiraz.

Has anyone else tried incorporating Grape juice into Beer? Could get out of hand quite quickly - with all the fermantables available.

Would be interested in trying this next year - need to do some more research first.

Has anyone seen this in Perth - want to try it first.

RM

edit - for anyone who didnt see the article in the Age <snip>

That's right - a beer made from malted grain and grape juice. In this case, a generous amount of shiraz juice is added to the brewing kettle and while the resulting ale is fundamentally beer-like in character, the grape adds intriguing complexity.

When Saltram Wines' chief winemaker, Nigel Dolan, decided to make beer he approached Matilda Bay's head brewer, Brad Rogers, with a proposition (both work for the Foster's Group).

"I wondered if you could use grape juice to make beer and what it would add to the final character," Dolan says. When Rogers said it could be done, they made some test brews at the Matilda Bay Garage Brewery in South Dandenong.

The juice is a concentrated version of the same Barossa Valley grapes that went into 2006 Pepperjack Shiraz, with some 90 kilograms in a 2500-litre batch; about a third of the fermentable sugars that make Pepperjack Handcrafted Ale come from grape juice.

Apart from the shiraz, Dolan and Rogers selected grains including malted barley and malted wheat and hops that they felt would be complementary.

Czech saaz is used for a spicy bitterness and Amarillo provides tropical fruit notes, all of which balances the lively acidity and touch of tannin from the shiraz.

"The brewing process has parallels with winemaking," Dolan says. "In both you are converting natural, raw ingredients into fermented juices. Selecting different grains is like choosing different parcels of fruit for wine."

<snip>

This has me thinking.

A friend of mine makes about 400L of wine per year - a mix of grapes but mostly Merlot and Shiraz.

Has anyone else tried incorporating Grape juice into Beer? Could get out of hand quite quickly - with all the fermantables available.

Would be interested in trying this next year - need to do some more research first.

Has anyone seen this in Perth - want to try it first.

RM

<snip>

I intend to brew this before the end of the year. I have 2 litres of muscat juice (thanks kirem :beerbang: ) and it will be going into this brew:

http://www.byo.com/recipe/1011.html

Going to be using the Schelde Ale yeast as that was what was recommended by Andy Tveekrem from Dogfish Head.

C&B
TDA

Edit:spelling

I'm going to try a brew like the Feral Belgian style. Probably Shiraz or Durif.

Well I finally got around to trying the Pepperjack Ale today. A very nicely balanced hop driven beer :party:

The only thing that stung was the bloody ridiculous price!! I was in a bit of a hurry, left my wallet at home and all I wanted was 1 bottle (355ml) to take away and try with a mate. So I scratched around for some loose change in my car and went into the cellar door and asked for 1 bottle. Well I almost told sales to go and get %#%#*d. 7 bloody dollars for a 355ml bottle. If anyone from Fosters who has any sought of influence, get your act together. The rep quite politely said it was better value at $18 a six pack. What urks me is JS is the same price a six pack and a single is around 3.50 - $4.00.

Again a very nice beer but at a ridiculous cost :angry: I wonder what market they are aiming at!

BYB

Willie Simpson has done a writeup on it in the Good Living section of the SMH today.
Sounds like a very interesting drop. Also sounds like they had to have a few stabs at getting it right :p

Doc

A bit thin for me, I had two and that was enough - SWMBO had one then moved to homebrew.
Vintage Cellars is selling it in WA

A bit thin for me, I had two and that was enough - SWMBO had one then moved to homebrew.
Vintage Cellars is selling it in WA

Actually I will admit it is a bit short at the end, did not linger on. Still the initial tatse and the aroma of the hops is what I did like. What price is it in W.A

BYB

I had one on the weekend at a restaurant, quite nice but a I did comment to the other people there that it was a bit thin for my liking. If I was making it I would throw in some kind of Belgian yeast to compliment the fruitiness of the wine.

Still the initial tatse and the aroma of the hops is what I did like. What price is it in W.A
Yep it does smell nice,it cost me $18 for six or it was $3.75 a stubbie.

Pepperjack is a great wine, so this one caught my eye in the bottle shop. It seems the thing to do - market your beer with a wino angle (Knappstein for instance).

I thought this beer was really enjoyable, good malt levels and well balanced hops. The wine flavour adds something different. I've made better myself, but that's homebrewing I guess ;)

I had this one tonight. I found it very nice. The aroma didn't come through as strongly as the description would suggest but I enjoyed the flavour and didn't find it too thin.
The colour was great and it had a kind of spicy subdued dark crystal aspect, I think, which I suppose some might hate but I thought worked well.
A belgian yeast would have gone well with this beer as suggested earlier in the thread...

Latest posts

Back