Pepperjack Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried this, only for it's novelty factor. It turned out to be okay, but not something I could drink everyday. There was a definate peppercorn aftertaste, which took a little getting used to also.
Mitch :)

I am on the the James Squire mailing list and when I heard about this new release (in an email from them), I sent an email expressing my interest. That was at least a month ago and I have heard nothing since. Anyway I picked up a six pack from Dan Murhpy's last week. I can fully appreciate what a complex and wonderful beer that it is but like Mitch, it just isn't my thing. Maybe it needs to be consumed when slightly warmer that fridge temp.

gilmoreous: Maybe you're thinking of the JS Pepperberry Winter Ale?

I've tried the beer before and it was ok, good beer but nothing too special.

Sipping (ok half a bottle) on some 2005 Pepperjack Shiraz tonight and it's one of the best reds I've had for quite a while - the other half of the bottle is looking nervous!

They should leave the grapes for the wine IMO, it's wasted in the beer.

Cheers, Andrew.

Yeap the shiraz is pretty damn good while the beer is only quite good.

got half a carton of this sitting here - got it as a gift in november! just cant get to like it

tried the beer on the weekend at Salters. Nice beer, although I got nothing like Amarillo out of it...twas very fuggly for me, more english than american (stale hops or poor brewing technique?). I got no wine out of it which to me means it was a waste going in there in the first place.

lovely colour. easy to drink, and was probably the highlight of the day - although I only had one though and I'd only give it a 2.5 out of 5...restarurant service 0.5 out of five food quality/value 1out of 5 and wine a 1 as well.

I'd say try one if you're interested because its nice enough but don't bother going into the restaurant or the cellar door to try the wine unless you want to pay for the Metala :icon_drool2: (AND you have to pay to taste this <_< -how come every other winery in the Barossa will give you a free taster of their premium stuff - have a look at torbrek...mmmm. Won't let me taste, I'm not going to buy.).

Tried this tonight. I had no idea it actually contained grape juice and didn't pick it up.

Reminded me a little of mountain goat hightail (which I also have a bottle of waiting.

I enjoyed it and would try again.

tried the beer on the weekend at Salters. Nice beer, although I got nothing like Amarillo out of it...twas very fuggly for me, more english than american (stale hops or poor brewing technique?). I got no wine out of it which to me means it was a waste going in there in the first place.

lovely colour. easy to drink, and was probably the highlight of the day - although I only had one though and I'd only give it a 2.5 out of 5...restarurant service 0.5 out of five food quality/value 1out of 5 and wine a 1 as well.

I'd say try one if you're interested because its nice enough but don't bother going into the restaurant or the cellar door to try the wine unless you want to pay for the Metala :icon_drool2: (AND you have to pay to taste this <_< -how come every other winery in the Barossa will give you a free taster of their premium stuff - have a look at torbrek...mmmm. Won't let me taste, I'm not going to buy.).

I will agree I am quite over it, the beer that is. Now the wine is another story. Have not been to Saltrams Cellar door for a while now but it does not surprise me about having to pay to taste the premium gear. But a lot of places will give you the payment off the price of a bottle should you purchase. The last time I was at Torbreck they had a tasting fee (again, some time ago) but that by the sounds has changed?

BYB

Back