Passion Fruit / Passiona Taste Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They taste really good...??

I heard someone recently go on and on and on about South African sauv blancs and how they were the next big thing ... was just wondering what the characteristics of a SA SB that make it stand out from a NZ, or a French SB or any other.

Where's Dr Smutro from? Not Nelson, NZ I presume... :eek:

I heard someone recently go on and on and on about South African sauv blancs and how they were the next big thing ... was just wondering what the characteristics of a SA SB that make it stand out from a NZ, or a French SB or any other.

Where's Dr Smutro from? Not Nelson, NZ I presume... :eek:

To quote adelaidehillswine.com (for SA wine you need to split into regions- hills, McLaren Vale, Barossa, he mentioned hills so that's what I'm going for)-

Sauvignon Blanc

Regional Style: Typically the wines are fresh, fragrant and aromatic, yet crisp and food friendly with the distinctive acidity and fine structure that typifies many wine styles - both white and red - from the Hills.

Flavour: Adelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc tends to cover the riper, more tropical end of the spectrum, in contrast to the greener and more herbaceous styles.

Innovation/Interesting facts: The Adelaide Hills are winning accolades for their Sauvignon Blanc, producing some of the best examples of the variety in Australia. Sauvignon Blanc is the most widely grown variety in the Adelaide Hills, and Sauvignon Blanc (and blends thereof) happens also to be one of Australia's most significant contemporary wine styles. Those from the Adelaide Hills seem to echo the fresh, cool, crisp, bright climate of the region.

I'd say the main difference is covered in the flavour part.

So I suppose we'll be hopping our beer with Adelaide Sauvin next? :beerbang:

I'll have to grab a bottle - all the Australian Sauv Blancs I've had have been a little dull compared to the Kiwi ones (read: clear alcoholic water). This Adelaide Hills caper sounds like the go.

Can I get a recommendation for a nice bottle before this thread is close for :icon_offtopic: ?

The last brew I did was a Coopers Pale Ale with Citra (20G at 30 mins, 20G at 15 mins). Passionfruit explosion. The recipe is in this thread: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...mp;#entry608766

Some may say "It's a bit girly", but I say why do beer drinkers have to be big burly men who drink big bitter beers? Reminds me of an ad with guys with handlebar moustaches handling heavy machinery.
Personally, I like a ton of hoppy aroma in a pale ale. I don't drink it as my standard quaffer, but as a nice change from the norm I think it rocks. Isn't that what homebrewing is all about? Having tons of different types/styles of beers without the expense of paying for premium label brews at $25 a six pack?

Hey, I tried that morgans - 'corona' clone when I first started.
Just guessing sounds like the one using canadian blonde and
a Super Alpha Teabag.
Cheers

Just had a taste of my "Citrennial Ale" and it has pretty strong passionfruit/pasito aroma and taste with a splash of fruit salad in there. Something very different. When I get home I will throw the recipe up in the db.

Have just tried my brew 1/2 way thru ferment and tastes fantastic

here is the recipe I used

1 coopers Mexican tin
500 grams of light dry malt
500grams of dex
200g of carapills steeped for approx 1/2 an hour
25grams of galaxy boiled in the drained grain water for 10 mins
US05 yeast
20lt water

I think it will work great with the pale ale kit as well

nathanR said:

1 coopers Mexican tin
500grams of dex
US05 yeast
20lt water

Gunnna give this a shot for some girl mates of mine..... What is the amount of water you steep the carapils in? 3ltrs? Is it boiling or not?

nathanR said:

1 coopers Mexican tin
500grams of dex
US05 yeast
20lt water

Gunnna give this a shot for some girl mates of mine..... What is the amount of water you steep the carapils in? 3ltrs? Is it boiling or not?

Cheers and happy brewing!

i use about 3.75 ltrs of water per 500gms @ 68 deg C for 30 mins for a 23ltr brew when steeping grains, I don't boil just get it to temp by using half boiled water & half cold water & adjust accordingly with one or the other.

Once at temp i chuck my cracked grains in a grain bag & into the pot, swirl around to make sure its fully wetted. I don't keep it at the starting temperature & i don't go over 70 deg C ( over 77 deg C & you start to extract tannins apparently).

Carapils is a pretty light grain, so you could use more then 200g if you want more head or just keep as it is.

good luck…

ChefKing said:

Cheers and happy brewing!
Not sure you are going to get much out of the original contributors considering this thread died out 6 years ago!

Brewsta said:
i use about 3.75 ltrs of water per 500gms @ 68 deg C for 30 mins for a 23ltr brew when steeping grains, I don't boil just get it to temp by using half boiled water & half cold water & adjust accordingly with one or the other.

Once at temp i chuck my cracked grains in a grain bag & into the pot, swirl around to make sure its fully wetted. I don't keep it at the starting temperature & i don't go over 70 deg C ( over 77 deg C & you start to extract tannins apparently).

Carapils is a pretty light grain, so you could use more then 200g if you want more head or just keep as it is.

good luck…
Just saw your reply Brewsta...sadly after I brewed this recipe yesterday.

I just put your recipe down yesterday, 2 things though.

I had the hops at a light simmer the whole way through and did not use any form of temp controller. Shame cus I had my Chefs probe with me too...Oh well next time.

I had 750 dex on hand so I just added all of it.... I don't mind a stronger beer (SG = 1.036).

I still have got about 25 grams of galaxy left, what do you reckon about dry hopping during CC'ing or is it overkill with galaxy hops?

Still it looks the tits, a bit darker than a corona though.... Should be a right pearler of a recipe.

Currently sitting at 18c for the 2nd day... Will be kegging it.

Do you reckon it will still have the same flavour properties of a corona (light tasting) with a touch of passiona or does the carapils take it away (hence the darkening?). Im brewing for one of my mates, who tragically was born without a concept of real beer flavour. I have tried to get him into them, but he just can not hack an IPA, ale or pale ale..... soft!

Anyhow cheers for the recipe, I will keep you updated on how it goes.

Brewsta said:

good luck…
Your recipe is currently sitting in keg in fridge ready to go at a pool/bbq session this arvo..... should be the tits!

[SIZE=12pt]Mixed up a partial mash pale ale recipe on Sunday and am using Brooklyn & Galaxy in it (30g each at flameout, and 60g each dry-hop for last 4 days). Ingredient list was:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]* 2.0kg of Light Dried Malt Extract[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.0kg Pearl Malt (Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.0kg Pilsner Pale Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 250grams CaraPils Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 100grams Shepherds Delight Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 50grams Rye Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 90grams Galaxy hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 90grams Brooklyn (NZ) hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* Mangrove Jacks American Westcoast yeast[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Haven't used Brooklyn before and at 17.7%AA it should be fruity - is said to give flavours of grapefruit, tropical and passionfruit. Tried Brooklyn hops only a few weeks back in Nail Brewing's NZ Pale Ale on top at a local and it was a beautiful beer. This brew was to create a pale ale like Stone & Woods Pacific Ale - just with much more hoppiness.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cheers,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Pete[/SIZE]

Gigantorus said:
[SIZE=12pt]Mixed up a partial mash pale ale recipe on Sunday and am using Brooklyn & Galaxy in it (30g each at flameout, and 60g each dry-hop for last 4 days). Ingredient list was:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]* 2.0kg of Light Dried Malt Extract[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.0kg Pearl Malt (Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.0kg Pilsner Pale Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 250grams CaraPils Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 100grams Shepherds Delight Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 50grams Rye Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 90grams Galaxy hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 90grams Brooklyn (NZ) hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* Mangrove Jacks American Westcoast yeast[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Haven't used Brooklyn before and at 17.7%AA it should be fruity - is said to give flavours of grapefruit, tropical and passionfruit. Tried Brooklyn hops only a few weeks back in Nail Brewing's NZ Pale Ale on top at a local and it was a beautiful beer. This brew was to create a pale ale like Stone & Woods Pacific Ale - just with much more hoppiness.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Pete[/SIZE]
Sounds great... so all grains were steeped? and then you added the LDM? Removed/strained the grains and boiled the hops right?

[SIZE=12pt]ChefKing,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]This was my process.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1. Put cracked malts in 10 litres of hot water (65C to 70C) and steep/mash for 60 minutes. Strain steeped liquid into large pot and add 1kg of Light Dry Malt Extract bring to boil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]2. The boil is for 45 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3. With 5 mins to go in the boil, add 30grams of Galaxy hops and 30grams of Brooklyn hops.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]4. At Flameout, let sit for 15 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]5. Then sit the pot in a sink of iced water and cool to around 20C.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]6. Pour through a sieve into the fermenter, then add remaining 1kg LDME, stir and top-up with cold water to reach volume of 23 Litres at a temperature of 20C.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]7. Pitch yeast and fit lid.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]8. Ferment at 18C for 7 Days.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]9. Bring temp up to 21C on Day 8.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]10. 3 Days before bottling drop temp to 2C, and Dry-Hop with remaining 60grams of Galaxy hops & 60grams of Brooklyn hops in a hop bag.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]11. On day 14 bottle.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I had a look at the FV last night and it's looking great.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Pete[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back