Passion Fruit / Passiona Taste Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanR

Reaction score
I had a corona clone that was given to me buy my next door neighbour that tasted like passion fruit / passiona

is there a hop that you use that gives it this taste I asked the person at the local HBS and they were not 100% shure

It tasted great but as he did not brew it I can not find out what it was

any help would be great

I had a corona clone that was given to me buy my next door neighbour that tasted like passion fruit / passiona

is there a hop that you use that gives it this taste I asked the person at the local HBS and they were not 100% shure

It tasted great but as he did not brew it I can not find out what it was

any help would be great

Galaxy has a passionfruit flavour... also did you ask your neighbour what hop he/she used?

Citra or galaxy give a passionfruit flavour.

edit: beaten

glacier give a nice lemony twist.

I have also got passionfruit from amarillo

I've never used it but Rakau supposedly gives passionfruit too.

Here's what I'd be doing - I'd just go next door and ask the bloke.

[EDIT - I'm struggling at internetting today. Think I'd better go clean the gutters out instead]

[EDIT - I'm struggling at internetting today. Think I'd better go clean the gutters out instead]
come do mine while ur at it. theres nice beers on tap if you do ;)

I also get a little bit of passionfruit from Amarillo espeacially when James Squire Golden Ale (FIRST LIMITED RELEASE) came out! But you will find galaxy has more of a passionfruit flavour!

Mt Hood is a nice hop in a Corona Clone!

my neighbour did not brew it he was just given a 6 pack of it he is usaly a midstrength drinker

all he knows it was brewed at you brew it

Yeah, sorry, I realised that later (hence the edit about sucking at the internet today). I'll usually only delete if I realise I got something libellously wrong or to avoid an argument I couldn't be bothered having - not to stop myself from looking silly (wouldn't want to misrepresent myself).

amarillo or galaxy would be my call.

galaxy as bittering and flavour additons are mega passionfruit. anything super late (atleast home brewed) i usually find it carries alot of hop vegetal matter harshness. Got to be careful with galaxy

Winkle brought a bottle of Galaxy Lager to a brew day a few months ago, when it was the must-try hop of the day, and it was pure Pasito. I don't normally like fruit hops - only just getting to grips with American Ales at the moment - but that Galaxy was really intriguing.

amarillo or galaxy would be my call.

galaxy as bittering and flavour additons are mega passionfruit. anything super late (atleast home brewed) i usually find it carries alot of hop vegetal matter harshness. Got to be careful with galaxy

+1

I don't dry hop with galaxy anymore. Tastes like mowing the lawns.

IMO it's a great middle addition hop.

how does this sound

coopers canadian blonde
with a galaxy tea bag (15grams) on a 10-15 min boil (I have one in the fridge)
1kg dex
.5 light dry malt

would this give me the pasionfruit hit I am chasing ?

Try my OZ Galaxy Pale Ale in the recipeDB, delicious passionfruit from the Galaxy.

how does this sound

coopers canadian blonde
with a galaxy tea bag (15grams) on a 10-15 min boil (I have one in the fridge)
1kg dex
.5 light dry malt

would this give me the pasionfruit hit I am chasing ?

If you can get a 90g pack of Galaxy hop pellets (far cheaper per unit than the teabags) and if you have (or want to spend $9 at woolies) a coffee plunger aka french press, then do up a "hop coffee" with 20g of Galaxy pellets and pour into the fermenter about day 4. The hop aroma will knock you back.

I think you can get passionfruit flavours out of most pungent hops that are American style. I think that if you use a moderate amount very late, it will most likely get you these fresh fruity components. Galaxy can smell and taste intensely passionfruit, as can Nelson Sauvin used late.

I did a burp a few months ago after eating an actual passionfruit, and thought to myself: "jeez, what did I just drink? - Oh, wait, it was actually a passionfruit". Obviously it shows which I consume most of.

Back