Passion Fruit / Passiona Taste Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another hop that gives loads of passionfruit is nelson savin. hargreaves hill is using this now instead of galaxy in the esb.

Yeah I think Nelson is more stone fruity. And Amarillo seems to taste like over ripe mandarins to me lately.

WHAT?!?!!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the only reason i posted. it was 4 months or more between drinks ands i couldnt tell the difference.maybe mind over matter or the hops are really that similiar.ive done smash brews with both hops and with ott late hops i also found quite a simialarity,maybe a smoother bitternes with ns. the esb is still awesome either way.

another hop that gives loads of passionfruit is nelson savin. hargreaves hill is using this now instead of galaxy in the esb.
New season hops are still a month or two away so maybe ran out of Galaxy and needed to sub? I know I'm down to about 5.5 kg of Galaxy and should make it last until 2010 crop is available.

On my sysstem I find a 10 min addition gives good flavour without the vegetal harshness.

Cheers, Andrew.

New season hops are still a month or two away so maybe ran out of Galaxy and needed to sub? I know I'm down to about 5.5 kg of Galaxy and should make it last until 2010 crop is available.

On my sysstem I find a 10 min addition gives good flavour without the vegetal harshness.

Cheers, Andrew.

this is how i understand it from the bar staff.the way i was told was galaxy was getting hard to find so they used the best sub possible.but i still honestly ,and as i said a it was a while between drinks, couldnt pick the difference.btw ireally like the brown ale.

If you after a passionfruit flavour just use some passionfruit pulp. That is what gives me the best passionfruit flavour.

Shawn

For mine - massive passion fruit from Nelson Sauvin.

Same as the stinky Passiona flavoured New Zealand Sav Blancs the hop was named after. Mixed with a little galaxy makes it even stronger.

This is a great combo for getting non beer drinking girls to try your beer - a combo of NS and Galaxy, smells like a Sav Blanc and the "but that doesn't smell like beer at all" response comes out and they will give it a try. If its not too bitter... they will finish it and go back for more.

Same as the stinky Passiona flavoured New Zealand Sav Blancs the hop was named after. Mixed with a little galaxy makes it even stronger.

This is a great combo for getting non beer drinking girls to try your beer - a combo of NS and Galaxy, smells like a Sav Blanc and the "but that doesn't smell like beer at all" response comes out and they will give it a try. If its not too bitter... they will finish it and go back for more.

I agree though I am a beer drinking girl and it's one of my favourite hop combos. A Summer Ale hopped with even amounts is beautiful. Just what the Nelson Sauvin needs!

I've never used it but Rakau supposedly gives passionfruit too.

Here's what I'd be doing - I'd just go next door and ask the bloke.

[EDIT - I'm struggling at internetting today. Think I'd better go clean the gutters out instead]

I didn't get passionfruit from Rakau

Simcoe give a fair whack of passionfruit

The first hop that sprang to my mind when I read the title..

"gooseberry"...?

Not unless they are putting gooseberries inside of passion fruits lately. A "good" sav blanc has a nice subtle mix of passion fruit, gooseberry, stonefruits etc... the trash flooding out of NZ lately is passion fruit on top of passion fruit and sod all else.

Mix the stuff decently with some semillion and buy it from the Hunter Valley - let the kiwis drown in a flood of their own unpurchased stinky swill.

I didn't get passionfruit from Rakau

As I say, I haven't brewed with this hop before but most retailers/wholesalers and many homebrewers' reports use the word 'passionfruit' in their description of it. But as this thread proves many people taste things differently so if other brewers feel the same as Nick please speak up so I'm not sending OP on a wrong'un.

+1. Try KTs hopburst from the recipe DB

Mix the stuff decently with some semillion and buy it from the Hunter Valley - let the kiwis drown in a flood of their own unpurchased stinky swill.
Totally :icon_offtopic: but agreed!

From my experience, i've had "passiofruit" flavours from a few hops, to varying degrees of course. Amarillo, Simcoe, Galaxy and NS spring to mind, but Topaz is another with some passionfruit flavour, maybe a bit more subtle. A couple of NZ varieties come to mind as well....Rakau and Moteuka to varying degrees, and Pacific Gem/Jade...not as prominant but the precursors to what's percieved as passionfruit are there, and could be perceived that way.
But yeah, alot of that is down to individual taste perception and also how the hop was used, two people could have totally different results.

As I say, I haven't brewed with this hop before but most retailers/wholesalers and many homebrewers' reports use the word 'passionfruit' in their description of it. But as this thread proves many people taste things differently so if other brewers feel the same as Nick please speak up so I'm not sending OP on a wrong'un.

The whole Esters subject I find very interesting.

I think the reason why people get different "fruits" from their aroma/flavour hops is because of interplay with the particular set of esters their yeast has produced.

If I use S04 @ 24C with 20g of Nelson Sauvin dry hopped I get a massive whack of nectarines. Combine this with a large whack of crystal malts and it makes a very tasty ale (IMO) you could almost drink with icecream and a great counterpoint to a clean lager drunk back to back.

Apparently the peaches ester is Linalyl butyrate with perhaps a touch of apricoty Pentyl butyrate - which are probably coming from the S04, not the hops ... but the passionfruit of the hops combined with these esters gives the peach a lean towards nectarine.

Using NS with a cleaner, lower temperature fermented yeast might mean that virtually no yeast derived esters are showing, so the hops are driving the aroma more towards passionfruit and goosberry.

Just a guess.

Its a very complex subject, but I think the decision to dry hop an ale almost always needs to also consider yeast strain and ferment temperature. My APAs with dry hopped galaxy and US05 are aweful - with S04 & T58, delicious.

Not unless they are putting gooseberries inside of passion fruits lately. A "good" sav blanc has a nice subtle mix of passion fruit, gooseberry, stonefruits etc... the trash flooding out of NZ lately is passion fruit on top of passion fruit and sod all else.

Staying off topic, Adelaide Hills Sav blancs are far superior to anything from NZ.

Latest posts

Back