Pale Milds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit
Reaction score
So, anyone done any work with Pale Milds? I love a good dark mild, and have had and made plenty, but I'd like something a bit English-y and pale with abv around 3.5%.

Midnight Brewer and I are splitting a sack of the Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted Mild Ale Malt from Brewman (no affiliation, but a top-notch brewing shop), and I can bang something together no problem, but I'd love to hear what others have done.

I was originally thinking something like pale malt, munich and some light crystals, but with the TFFM Mild Ale coming I'm a bit reluctant to add the munich and cover up whatever that malt may bring (of which I currently have SFA idea - have to see when it arrives). Thinking possibly the Mild Ale, some Amber, and some pale caramel malts, possibly a bit of torrefied wheat.

Any input?

Milds are really easy ( and f%$%^& hard at the same time )

You need a mash that gives you a bit more mouth feel, and back the hops of a bit than what you would a normal ale

Because the %Alc is lower, it will taste a bit thinner, so you need to compensate for that, and also because the %Al is lower, you need to drop the IBU to keep your SG:IBU ratio

I have adapted my dark mild recipe to a pale version.

In the database, may it rest in peace. Just take out the roast malts and I may have upped the toast malts a smidge.

And yes it works deliciously well.

Mardoo, thanks for the kind words.

One of my customers was a big English mild Ale fan, and spent a lot of time with getting the style right.

I have a feeling I have his personal recipes and his blessings to share.

Let me see what I have tucked away

Brewman_ said:
Mardoo, thanks for the kind words.

One of my customers was a big English mild Ale fan, and spent a lot of time with getting the style right.

I have a feeling I have his personal recipes and his blessings to share.

Let me see what I have tucked away
Share away Brewman

Care to share anything you learned about developing Mild recipes LorriSanga? It would be much appreciated.

If you've made my dark according to the recipe, you'll know the short, high mash is integral -70 deg* for 30 mins.

Beyond that, it's a malt showcase so it's about a good judicious blend to pack in as much flavour as possible in a beer that light.

Might need to knock one out again soon. Haven't done one for a while - used to be on high rotation.

Recipe for dark version here:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/69618-recipedb-dark-mild/

*recipe says 69 but my last few were 70 from memory. Credit to old mate butters and bribie for the mashing high and short.

Mild Malt has a higher protein content than traditional Pale Malt, the protein provides the extra body we are looking for at lower ABV, down side is the beer will always be turbid. Doesn't look too appetising.
Using Mild Malt means you aren't trying to make the malt do something that it wasn't designed to do, so no need for hot/long/jump mashes to get the desired outcome. But they are almost always dark to hide the haze.

I have brewer a couple aimed at Pilsner brightness with the Mild mouthfeel and alcohol, just adding Clarax to the ferment appears to do the job pretty well. Clarax was designed to chop up the proteins that make the haze (more as an aid to filtering than anything else). Clarax is very expensive and available in industrial sized packages way too big for home brewers - fortunately White Labs have diluted it down to ready to use concentrations and packaged it in small containers, I would get some Clarity Ferm and use as directed.

The brewer to whom Brewman referred has made some cracking good milds (as good as any I have tasted), I know Brewman wont put his recipes up without permission. I'm sure none of us would approve of our ordering information being made public by our retailer with out consultation, so be patient, there is I suspect a very good chance that he will be happy to share.
Mark

Attached are a couple of COA's for Perl and Mild Malt, just remember that the Soluble Nitrogen gets multiplied by 6.25 to get soluble protein
View attachment Mild Ale.pdf
View attachment Perl.pdf

Mardoo said:
Care to share anything you learned about developing Mild recipes LorriSanga? It would be much appreciated.
Its a style both English and Hoppy id love to have under my belt, but dont have it down. I start with low attenuating yeast and mash higher for body and low carbonation helps with making low ABV beers not taste like flavoured water. But I still havnt got a recipe that is balanced,...... either too bitter or dry.

Good to know about the turbidity MHB. Now I won't have to wrack my brain about the cloudiness.

Sounds perfect for NE IPA's ;)

A couple of Mild recipes

Mild_1.jpg

Mild_2.jpg

I may accept a bit of astringency. I go the other way and mash for light body. Then getting a low carb beer probably more like commercial lighter megaswills but still with much better flavour.

Boiling one at the moment but I didn't have the grains I thought I had. More like Australian Pale profile. Should have some twang but all malt rather than using any sugar. Light body and highly carbonated crystal clear and very cold. Bittering hops only but one of the two kegs will probably get 3g/l dry hopped with Galaxy flowers.

85.2% Powels Pale malt

4.3% Cara-Pils (was meant to be crystal)

4.3% Munick (should have been Dark Munick)

4.3% Melanoiden

2% Acidulated

Mashed at 64c.

Dr Rudi - 25min for 26 IBU

I'll probably get 4% ABV. See how this one goes.

Mardoo said:
So, anyone done any work with Pale Milds? I love a good dark mild, and have had and made plenty, but I'd like something a bit English-y and pale with abv around 3.5%.

Midnight Brewer and I are splitting a sack of the Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted Mild Ale Malt from Brewman (no affiliation, but a top-notch brewing shop), and I can bang something together no problem, but I'd love to hear what others have done.

I was originally thinking something like pale malt, munich and some light crystals, but with the TFFM Mild Ale coming I'm a bit reluctant to add the munich and cover up whatever that malt may bring (of which I currently have SFA idea - have to see when it arrives). Thinking possibly the Mild Ale, some Amber, and some pale caramel malts, possibly a bit of torrefied wheat.

Any input?
How about a Scottish 60 or 70 shilling? Low ABV, tasty malts and restrained hops. The WLP028 is also a cracking yeast. The last 70 I made was roughly:

70% MO
7% Light crystal
7% Munich 1
5% Melanoidin
3% pale choc
3% dark crystal
3% naked oats
2% toffee malt

You could remove the Munich, pale choc and play around with the other spec malts to suit

shacked said:
How about a Scottish 60 or 70 shilling? Low ABV, tasty malts and restrained hops. The WLP028 is also a cracking yeast. The last 70 I made was roughly:

70% MO
7% Light crystal
7% Munich 1
5% Melanoidin
3% pale choc
3% dark crystal
3% naked oats
2% toffee malt

You could remove the Munich, pale choc and play around with the other spec malts to suit
promised a scottish mate I would have a go down the track at making him a brew . Is there any hops in this one shacked ?

Gloveski said:
promised a scottish mate I would have a go down the track at making him a brew . Is there any hops in this one shacked ?
A single 60 min addition of a clean hop will do. Keep the ibu low to let the malt to come through.

I have had success with a couple of 3.5-4% pale beers lately, one being moderately-to highly hopped, one quite low hopping.
The body carries well in the low hopped beer, and there is a great malt backbone in the higher hopped version

Both used Golden Promise, 10% wheat malt and 5% aromatic malt, mashed at 68-70oC :icon_drool2:
My next attempt with replace aromatic with Gladfield toffee malt, and I will also try one with amber malt or special roast

Latest posts

Back