Pale Milds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bottling this on the weekend:

Grain Bill
----------------
3.700 kg Pale Ale Malt (92.73%)
0.150 kg Crystal Medium (3.76%)
0.140 kg Caraaroma (3.51%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
20.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

The samples tasted pretty good as above, but I decided I really wanted to know what challenger tastes like, so I dry hopped with 40g.

MHB said:
Mild Malt has a higher protein content than traditional Pale Malt,
attachicon.gif
Mild Ale.pdf
attachicon.gif
Perl.pdf
9% protein is pretty standard for ale malt, somewhat lower than average for pilsner malt. The Kolbach index is also in the typical range, so I can't see why the proteins would contribute more haze than in a standard pale malt.

Gloveski said:
promised a scottish mate I would have a go down the track at making him a brew . Is there any hops in this one shacked ?

Yeah, I put about 15 IBU worth of Jester at FWH and could resist a little more jester in the whirlpool. Probably around 18 to 20 IBU in total. If I did it again, I'd up the dark crystal a touch (or add some delicious English crystal 60L - muntons maybe) and probably drop the toffee malt (wasn't really perceptible) and switch to my old mate Northdown for hops. The late hop is definitely out of style but I'd do it again :p

I also used my standard bitter water profile but next time will back off on the gypsum. It had a very very slight mineral edge to it.

Mashed at 69.5C for 2+ hours (I usually put a mash on and then go surfing or mow the lawn).

Used WLP028 with an OG of 1.040 and FG of 1.014 ABV of around 3.4%. Gelatined and forced carbed.

Delicious!

goatchop41 said:
I have had success with a couple of 3.5-4% pale beers lately, one being moderately-to highly hopped, one quite low hopping.
The body carries well in the low hopped beer, and there is a great malt backbone in the higher hopped version

Both used Golden Promise, 10% wheat malt and 5% aromatic malt, mashed at 68-70oC :icon_drool2:
My next attempt with replace aromatic with Gladfield toffee malt, and I will also try one with amber malt or special roast
I'd add the toffee and keep the aromatic! :) Castle aromatic is close to my favorite malt, I put 2.5% in an English IPA with 5% crystal 60L (muntons) and MO that did reasonably well in competition.

Also amber malt would be goooood too.

goatchop41 said:
I have had success with a couple of 3.5-4% pale beers lately, one being moderately-to highly hopped, one quite low hopping.
The body carries well in the low hopped beer, and there is a great malt backbone in the higher hopped version

Both used Golden Promise, 10% wheat malt and 5% aromatic malt, mashed at 68-70oC :icon_drool2:
My next attempt with replace aromatic with Gladfield toffee malt, and I will also try one with amber malt or special roast
I don't know your experience with Gl. Toffee, but mine is that the flavour and aroma added to the beer are less than from Aromatic, even though the raw Toffee has a strong and delicious aroma. In a recipe like yours I'd probably raise the Toffee to 8-10% if it's subbed for 5% Aromatic. But I do like Toffee in golden beers.

shacked said:
Yeah, I put about 15 IBU worth of Jester at FWH and could resist a little more jester in the whirlpool. Probably around 18 to 20 IBU in total. If I did it again, I'd up the dark crystal a touch (or add some delicious English crystal 60L - muntons maybe) and probably drop the toffee malt (wasn't really perceptible) and switch to my old mate Northdown for hops. The late hop is definitely out of style but I'd do it again :p

I also used my standard bitter water profile but next time will back off on the gypsum. It had a very very slight mineral edge to it.

Mashed at 69.5C for 2+ hours (I usually put a mash on and then go surfing or mow the lawn).

Used WLP028 with an OG of 1.040 and FG of 1.014 ABV of around 3.4%. Gelatined and forced carbed.

Delicious!

cheers mate

yankinoz said:
I don't know your experience with Gl. Toffee, but mine is that the flavour and aroma added to the beer are less than from Aromatic, even though the raw Toffee has a strong and delicious aroma. In a recipe like yours I'd probably raise the Toffee to 8-10% if it's subbed for 5% Aromatic. But I do like Toffee in golden beers.
Cheers for the tip. I've never used toffee malt before (only bought a small amount to test in one or two batches), so it's good to have an idea of what to expect

Latest posts

Back