One night in Newcastle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry good, not god!!! Must be the 10% abv kicking in. Next time buddy!!! I'm up here working until Xmas. This place is just around the comer from the pub I'm stating at

Newcastle has come a long way since I left. Can't wait to move back there.

It turns out I'll be in Newcastle tonight. It's a Monday and grain store is closed. Next best place please Brewers? Thanks.

Edit. Is this thread still relevant? New places in newy?

Blind monk in Beaumont St, happy wombat in hunter St, hop factory in darby St, Mary Ellen in merewether, Albion in wickham.

Where are you staying? There are options further out of town but limited to little creatures and the better known "craft" beers

Nowhere to stay yet. Going to stay within walking distance of wherever I want to drink and eat at. Hop factory is closed Monday's as well isn't it? How about foghorn? It gets a lot of really bad reviews on TripAdvisor.

oh yeah forgot about foghorn, that is in king st. You will have to eat there if you want a beer, last time I tried to go in for a beer they said something about licensing meant you had to be eating a meal.

I am not a big fan but I went there in the first week or two they opened, food was ordinary and the brewery was still getting dialled in I would say.

Happy wombat is great, love that place. It is owned by Luke Tilse, his family have the cider company of the same name but he is all about the beer. The staff know their stuff and are always friendly.

Not sure what is closed Mondays sorry.

edit: There are a few places to stay around hunter/king st, free bus or $10 cab will get you to hamilton or merewether. You would be walking distance to albion, happy wombat, star and a few others around there. Merewether has the prince, beaches, surf house, burwood and mary ellen. The burwood is pretty good actually, it has come a long way since this post was originally up.

If the weather is good you could start at surfhouse/beaches in the afternoon and make your way back through the burwood and price or mary ellen then back into town.

My picks would be the grain store or the hop factory. Both have great food and a good selection of beers. If you like your whiskey as well the blind monk or the grain store have a huge selection of whiskeys from all over the world.

Monday sux in Newcastle half the town is shut down recovering from the weekend.
Visiting Foghorn is a must, I would take some of the "criticism" on social media with a pinch of salt, there has been a bit of a campaign being waged by some other venues unhappy with the extra competition.

I have found the beers to be excellent (even tho one of the taps has mine on), in all fairness there have been some issues with the food side of the business, the chef they started with didn't work out, taste wise they do a pretty good Ruben Sandwich great burgers, the Pizzas are excellent and I don't really go there to eat...

Put Foghorn on your must do list
Mark

pist said:
My picks would be the grain store or the hop factory. Both have great food and a good selection of beers. If you like your whiskey as well the blind monk or the grain store have a huge selection of whiskeys from all over the world.

Already been said, both closed Monday's.

I decided to give Newcastle the flick for a Monday night. I'll come back and try all 3 suggested on a weekend.

Foghorn is a must if you visit Newie. I've been there a number of times. Foods good, beers are great, and yes I tried your beer Mark, very nice thanks.

I like the atmosphere too, and it's not too noisy.

It also has the brewery right there next to the beer taps... very cool!!

If you are on a day trip around the Valley, Hunter Beer Co. (Potters) is also a must, but that is out of town and up the Valley.

Latest posts

Back