One night in Newcastle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
The boss (my employer, not the lady-boss) and I have to spend Monday night in Newcastle.
We both like fishing and beer.
Won't be taking fishing rods...
...so - recommend me a good bar with good beer please.

nb: Accomodation is already taken care of - but I have NFI where.
Not sure if we need a meal or if that is taken care of too.
Want to spend the evening quenching the thirst, and don't want to be stuck with megaswill.

Try the Albion hotel. Plenty of craft beer.
Lemon

Yep the Albion is my favorite, 8(?) taps + 2 hand pumps, Aus and international brews. Grain Store has 20 taps & 1 hand pump all Aussie.

There's another 5-6 places in the city that also have craft taps but not top of the charts IMO.

What sort of prices for a schooner in these places?
Is the pub cheaper than the Cafe or on a par would you say?

About the same at both punkin. Circa $7.50 for a 5%ish schooner. Tulips of the specials are around $9-$14 from memory depending on abv.

Queens Wharf is always good to sit and whatch them HUGE boats. Not sure what craft beer they have but the food has always been good

goldstar said:
About the same at both punkin. Circa $7.50 for a 5%ish schooner. Tulips of the specials are around $9-$14 from memory depending on abv.

Thanks.

Not cheap, but not out of reach.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Queens Wharf is always good to sit and whatch them HUGE boats. Not sure what craft beer they have but the food has always been good
Was there for my bucks last year and the best thing they had on tap was Kronenbourg

The grain store in scott street. Cant go wrong plenty of craft beers on tap which rotate regularly, so you're likely to find something different every time you go there.

The Mary Ellen and the Clarendon are another couple options that rotate their taps pretty regularly.

Definitely The Grain Store!

You won't be disappointed.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Nice view, crap beer.

The Albion or the Grain Store are the best imo, but the Dockyards & Silo's has some great bottled beer too if you like it near the waterfront (Honeysuckle).

Edit: Silo's has a great meal too if the boss is paying...... B)

If your only in Newcastle for Monday night,the grainstore is u[SIZE=11pt]nfortunately[/SIZE] closed Mondays. You cant go wrong with the Albion or Dockyard however. There is also cheap ribs and 5 dollar Pacific ale at the Cooks Hill Hotel

I know op has already been to Newy, but another place to add to the craft beer list of drinking places is a place I checked out 'The hop factory' (on Darby st) yesterday arvo, nice little boutique feel, 14 craft beers on tap including Murray's Angry man brown ale... That is one delicious beer!

Cheers

Chilling at the grain store now, so many good brews!!!! I love this place

Bugger, drove right past there the other week and didn't know it existed, on the way to take a piccie just round the corner of one of loveliest rows of Victorian Terraced Houses in Australia, "Boatmens' row" built in the 1880s to a typical London design, to house pilots and lifeboatmen for the very busy port trade. The street also takes pride of place as the only street in Eastern Australia to be shelled by a Jap sub in WW2.

boatmens' row.jpg

When I first hit on Newkie about two years ago the main venue for craft beers was the Hairy Melon, and not too much there either. Things are obviously blooming there. May your beers flow incessantly chopdog. :beerbang:

Thanks mate, just on goblets now of holgate empress, imperial stout!!! Sooo god

Latest posts

Back