Old Fridges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glot

Reaction score
If you are looking for an old fridge to use as an upright esky, go have a chat to the staff at one of the appliance store ware houses. No point talking to in store staff. Go to where they do the new deliveries from and where you go to collect your purchases. Often they remove someone's old fridge and return it to the warehouse. One of my local ones sells them for $5, condition unknown. May work. May not. If you told them what you wanted it for they most likely would be even more helpful.

Good idea. Im trying to find one on ebay at the moment.

Clever idea. I'll remember that when the three I have wear out....

Great idea, $50 to hire a bunnings ute to get them home, might be worth it to grab a couple at once.

My brother did deliveries for a big appliance franchise and reckoned nine times out of ten he'd have to take their old fridge away and a lot of them were in good working order. He tells me this after changing jobs and after I'd bought a couple off evilbay.

I drove past w place not far from me the other day, loads of fancy decommissioned fridges \ freezers, been meaning to drop in and find out their position on releasing them, they can't care too much, they are out in the weather..

typo

Another possible source of fridges are real estate agents who manage rental properties.

A mate of mine used to work for one & quite often they had to empty out a rental house & the fridges etc. are just chucked out.

I ran a warehouse for a local large electrical company and deliveries guys regularly picked up old working fridges from customers who just wanted them gone.
My current fermenting fridge came from a pre school, sat in my garage for 2 years before I started brewing again...I always liked to have a back up fridge on hand should the main one die,
these days fridges are not a problem round my place, got plenty.
Certainly worth asking your local guys, even talk directly to the drivers, they might be after a little extra cash, or carton of megaswill, or your finest...

Hi guys,

Im a newbie about to start my first brew this weekend, can someone explain hwo this works regarding using a fridge, Ive been relegated to using the garage (very cold temps out there this time of year) are you guys suggesting using an old fridge that does work or a working fridge, probably dumb question but what the hell, ive seen a couple free ones posted on Gumtree both workign and not working.

Takasonfletcher said:
Hi guys,

Im a newbie about to start my first brew this weekend, can someone explain hwo this works regarding using a fridge, Ive been relegated to using the garage (very cold temps out there this time of year) are you guys suggesting using an old fridge that does work or a working fridge, probably dumb question but what the hell, ive seen a couple free ones posted on Gumtree both workign and not working.
What most of us do when using an old fridge is have some sort of temperature control fitted to it. That way we can set it at a temperature we want and it will control it to keep it at that temperature.
Like what i have below
20130805_164709.jpg
The control at the top i attatch both my fridge and the heat pad to it and it does the rest.

Anyone want a good working fridge 4 free?

2.jpg

I got the old junker of a fridge that I tarted up as my keggerator off eBay for the princely sum of $20.

A suggestion is not to annoy them on a Saturday morning when they are run off their feet. Just be polite and friendly, tell them you are looking for an old fridge to make your home brew in and have they got anything?
If you buy something at Bunning's that you need a trailer for, they will lend you one. Just make a detour before you return it.

Glot said:
If you buy something at Bunning's that you need a trailer for, they will lend you one. Just make a detour before you return it.

Now that is being a tight arse!

Glot said:
A suggestion is not to annoy them on a Saturday morning when they are run off their feet. Just be polite and friendly, tell them you are looking for an old fridge to make your home brew in and have they got anything?
yeah just get one length of framing pine and "borrow" the trailer ;)

cost you like $10 for trailer hire :ph34r:

Go easy looks like Glot is saving coin anywhere he can. The extra pixels to make his posts readable for instance. Damn expensive...

Back