Old Fridges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maheel said:
yeah just get one length of framing pine and "borrow" the trailer ;)

cost you like $10 for trailer hire :ph34r:
Damn this is a good idea!!

Takasonfletcher said:
Hi guys,

Im a newbie about to start my first brew this weekend, can someone explain hwo this works regarding using a fridge, Ive been relegated to using the garage (very cold temps out there this time of year) are you guys suggesting using an old fridge that does work or a working fridge, probably dumb question but what the hell, ive seen a couple free ones posted on Gumtree both workign and not working.
A fridge serves 2 purposes. In your garage the biggest enemy of your brew apart from infection by
stray mice and cockroaches in the day/night temperature cycle. Some say this regular rise and fall in temp is worse for your beer than the actual temp itself. So by using a non-working fridge you are removing this potential source of damage. Inside an old fridge could also be cleaner than having the fermenter just sitting on the benchtop. It also keeps out enquiring fingers if you have kids, or paws if you have a pet.

You can also add a heating pad or belt in the winter and the non-working fridge helps keep it all warm if you have to brew ales in th winter. However I would take advantage of the cool temps, get some Saflager yeast from the HBS and brew some lager while you can. In the summer you can also add blocks of ice to your non-working fridge to try and cool it down a bit.

Now having said all that, the Coopers Homebrew support team have told me that you cannot brew at a constant temperature without a working fridge. If you want to brew year round in Australia and keep a constant temp of say 20 deg C for your ales then you WILL need a working fridge. This is because the brew creates in own heat in the first few days of fermenting.

By all means if a free non-working fridge comes your way grab it, and use it as best you can in the garage. But be warned that sooner or later your brewing goals will rise above that and you'll need a working one.

My house has 4 fridges, 1 for the food, 1 for the cold drinks, 1 for brewing and 1 switched off used for consistent temp storage, and unfortunately a power bill to suit.

Maheel said:
yeah just get one length of framing pine and "borrow" the trailer ;)

cost you like $10 for trailer hire :ph34r:
Good idea - but Maheel if you need to borrow one PM me (extends to others I know in Brisbane, price likely to be a couple of bottles of your finest) ;)

Latest posts

Back