Oktoberfest Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve78

Reaction score
Hey guys,
From living in Germany for a year, I have to say their beers are among the best in the world, and in tru homebrewers style, any great beer style we try, we just have to make, well attempt to anyways.

I have never made a fest beer and there's not many recipes to go off for examples, and some use different base malts from Pilsner to Ale malt to Vienna and Munich.

I was just after opinions/advice here, I was thinking of 4kg Vienna and 1kg Munich as base malts, perhaps some melanoidin and carapils which I usually put in most beers. The base malts appear to contribute a lot of maltiness as it is, so I wasn't gonna go nuts with other grains. Hops either Tettnang or Hallertau, and bittering with Northern Brewer,and yeast, most likely the Oktoberfest Wyeast.

Any advice or opinions here would be welcomed and appreciated to assist my lack of experience in this area.

Cheers,

Steve

19L Batch

2.27kg Pilsner Malt
2.27kg Munich Malt
170g CaraMunich
60g Aromatic
60g Biscuit

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast

OG: 1.054, FG: 1.014, IBU: 26, SRM: 10, ABV: 5.2%

On the hops, any noble hop combination could work well here. Hallertau, Spalt, Tettnanger, Hersbrucker, etc. Try to get the IBU's around 26 and feel free to adjust for your personal tastes. You could also use any lager yeast you like. The 2124 makes this a nice beer, but 2206 would make it a little maltier and heavier-tasting. I could also see 2308, WL820 and WL830.

19L Batch

2.27kg Pilsner Malt
2.27kg Munich Malt
170g CaraMunich
60g Aromatic
60g Biscuit

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast

OG: 1.054, FG: 1.014, IBU: 26, SRM: 10, ABV: 5.2%

On the hops, any noble hop combination could work well here. Hallertau, Spalt, Tettnanger, Hersbrucker, etc. Try to get the IBU's around 26 and feel free to adjust for your personal tastes. You could also use any lager yeast you like. The 2124 makes this a nice beer, but 2206 would make it a little maltier and heavier-tasting. I could also see 2308, WL820 and WL830.

Cool, thanks for that. Yeah I was actually thinking that maybe some biscuit could make it interesting as well....

Cheers for ur thoughts :)

Steve

Latest posts

Back