Nsw Xmas In July Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12. mrs eyres - Black Buste Porter 5.5%

Pours black with a nice tan foam that falls down to a small head. Aroma is coffee/chocolate with some dark fruits there too. Flavour is sweet dark malts, fruits appear again, hops are there at the finish. Medium body, lowish carb. Bitterness balances the sweet malts. Smooth. Nice beer, thanks guys.

cheers
Andrew.

3 great brews drunk over the weekend.

Muggus' Topaz Smash was interesting - at first a little underwhelmed but as I got more into the bottle, I became accustomed to the flavour which was interesting. By bottle's end, I was a fan. First time I can remember drinking a topaz beer. Hopefully not the last.

Gruntus's brew - lovely. Heaven in a glass. Can't remember much but can remember thinking "How good is this"

Mrs Eyres Black Butte. I echo all other comments and since I scored two bottles of this baby, look forward to saving for a few months and seeing how it ages. Nice one guys.

It would appear this thread is being used the tasting note feedback for both the NSW July case swap as well as the Xmas in july lotto - which is fine - I spent a bit of time looking for a separate thread last friday and couldn't find one... this thread looked to be the closest there was.

It would appear this thread is being used the tasting note feedback for both the NSW July case swap as well as the Xmas in july lotto - which is fine - I spent a bit of time looking for a separate thread last friday and couldn't find one... this thread looked to be the closest there was.

I just skimmed over all the posts and it doesn't appear that way to me, just Xmas in July.

I have my case sitting downstairs, but to be honest, I'm not really interested in drinking anything for a week or two. By then, most should be ready to drink and I can get cracking...

Of course, this could change after I return to work tomorrow :icon_cheers:

14. Davelovesbeer - no idea.

Pulled this one out of the shed today.

Popped the cap and very faint Fizz came through I thought initially it was one of the ones only just bottled but inspection of the list does not reflect that.

Beer is a deep redish amber and quite clear with minimal head and little aroma. Taste is somewhat tame however it is well balanced more so on the bitter side. This is a difficult malt/hop bill
to take a stab at. Please fill us in Dave. No discernible hop/malt flavours very clean, some what similar to a carlton draught or Tooheys Lager without that nasty artificial tang they tend to have.

2. nifty - some sort of ...Black Ale / Porter / Not Quite Stout. Bottled 03/06/2010 WY1469. 5.4% - Ready to Drink.

A touch undercarbed I reckon, so may be best put away for another month.

That said, very nice flavours - more porterish than stoutish in that it's lacking that real burnt malt whack I find in other stouts. Very very easy drinking, along the lines of Sheaf Stout but without the burnt). I reckon if I had a keg of this I'd be a happy camper. Good one Nifty. Very enjoyable drop.

A touch undercarbed I reckon, so may be best put away for another month.

That said, very nice flavours - more porterish than stoutish in that it's lacking that real burnt malt whack I find in other stouts. Very very easy drinking, along the lines of Sheaf Stout but without the burnt). I reckon if I had a keg of this I'd be a happy camper. Good one Nifty. Very enjoyable drop.

Thanks Ian.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to classify this one, I ran out of black malt.

I thought after 2 months in the bottle it would have been carbed up, but I do tend to undercarb some of my beers.

cheers

Thanks Ian.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to classify this one, I ran out of black malt.

I thought after 2 months in the bottle it would have been carbed up, but I do tend to undercarb some of my beers.

cheers

On recollection, it probably was carbed perfectly for a beer engine ... so it was perfectly carbed! :lol:

got second dibs on it if nifty pulls out

got second dibs on it if nifty pulls out

No, but it means if you brew another keg of said black bliss, either Grant or Cortez or myself will bring along a beer engine when next we swap and consume said product ! :beer:

Beer: 12. Mrs Eyres Black Buste Porter
Date: 3rd August 2010
Details: 750mL gold cap 12 and label, 18th May, 5.5%abv
Sampling Notes:
Served chilled in pint glass.

Deep ruby body, tan foam eventually dissipates.

Aroma is a bit muted but nice; liquorice, burnt toast, bitter chocolate, spicy rye bread.

Medium-low carbonation, slightly chewy palate with medium weight.

Nice roasted malt character on the body; toasted nuts, cocoa, cola, burnt toffee, bit of charcoal and black pepper. Smooth finish, balanced with a moderate bitterness.

Tasty beer this one! Dark yet smooth, terribly easy to drink. Stoked that I ended up with 2 bottles of it! Cheers Kellie and Graham!

Beer: 24. Grantw Smokey the Porter
Details: 750ml bottle, gold cap 4
Sampling Notes:

Moderately deep ruby-hued body presents in my glass. Tight, creamy off-white foam persists atop, leaving a sparse web of lace on its journey to the bottom

Subtle aroma; decidedly earthy with hints of meaty roast and molasses.

Relatively lean body, oil texture with a medium carbonation and lingering drying finish.

Flavour is understated yet intriguing; tobacco leaf, peat, brown sugar, dark grain bread, dried fruit undertones. Dry finish with a lingering note of crusty bread.

Very different take on the porter. Smokiness is subtle but adds a welcome dimension of complexity. Reminds me a bit of Murrays Dark Knight. Might put the other bottle of this I received away for a bit. Nice work, cheers Grant!

11. Gruntus - Marzen, WY2633, 5.2%, bottled 10th April.

I'm not familiar with the marzen but I really enjoyed this. Nice colour and great tasting beer. Many thanks.

cheers

Beer: 15. Syd_03 - Pink Panther Peated Porter
Date: 5th August 2010
Details: 750ml bottle, red cap 15 and label - 6.3% - bottled 4/07/2010
Sampling Notes:

Opens with a convincing psst.
Pours damn-well near perfect! Near black opaque body with a dense creamy tan head that wont budge.

Aroma of medium intensity. Earthy roasted malt, doughy yeast, rusty metallic note, charcoal and some sort of ripe fruity ester I cant quite put my finger on (pear?).

Full body, quite rich upfront with enough roast astringency to keep it intact, and then some. Relatively low carbonation with a bit of creaminess to boot is inviting.

Intense body of flavour! Packed full of plenty of dirty, earthy, mulchy peated malt, deep roast coffee bean and bitter cocoa. Quite sweet with notes of date and prune that will no doubt develop over time, then BAM a big hit of hop and acrid espresso-like bitterness.

Top notch Jason! Sure, its full on with peated and roasted malts, and packs a bit of punch, but bugger me its tasty! Also managed snag another bottle of this bad boy; definitely age worthy! Cheers!

Beer: 24. Grantw Smokey the Porter
Details: 750ml bottle, gold cap "4"
Sampling Notes:

Moderately deep ruby-hued body presents in my glass. Tight, creamy off-white foam persists atop, leaving a sparse web of lace on its journey to the bottom

Subtle aroma; decidedly earthy with hints of meaty roast and molasses.

Relatively lean body, oil texture with a medium carbonation and lingering drying finish.

Flavour is understated yet intriguing; tobacco leaf, peat, brown sugar, dark grain bread, dried fruit undertones. Dry finish with a lingering note of crusty bread.

Very different take on the porter. Smokiness is subtle but adds a welcome dimension of complexity. Reminds me a bit of Murrays Dark Knight. Might put the other bottle of this I received away for a bit. Nice work, cheers Grant!

One of the best things about participating in a swap (apart from the beers) is getting reviewed by Muggus. :)

I am actually pretty pleased with how this turned out, drank one last weekend and thought the smoke was right where I wanted it to be.

cheers

grant

One of the best things about participating in a swap (apart from the beers) is getting reviewed by Muggus. :)
Awww shucks! :icon_cheers:

I'm really stoked with not only the number of porters and dark beers in this swap, but also the number of them that contain smoked malt of some description.
I feel a bit ashamed sharing the smoked brown ale I brewed with the HUB guys instead of the you folks down south. Maybe Christmas...

18. Gregor - NZ Rye Pale Ale

I ignored the advice to open this later in the month (OK, I didn't look and only found out after later, when it was the only beer in the fridge). Opens with a reasonable psst. Carbonation is on the low side but pretty good. Beautiful rich gold colour and pretty clear, good head. A really nice beer for this cold night. Balanced slightly to sweet, caramel malts, hops there and pleasant but the malts are the star. Tasty beer, Gregor. :beerbang:

11. Gruntus - Marzen, WY2633, 5.2%

Ive had two bottles of this beer now but didnt really take any notes. From memory, nice and clear gold. Lovely malty notes from the Munich, but not too full on, great balance. I could session on this one very easily. Great beer Grant. Thanks for sharing

Cheers
Andrew.

Beer: 15. Syd_03 - Pink Panther Peated Porter
Date: 5th August 2010
Details: 750ml bottle, red cap 15 and label - 6.3% - bottled 4/07/2010
Sampling Notes:

Opens with a convincing psst.
Pours damn-well near perfect! Near black opaque body with a dense creamy tan head that wont budge.

Aroma of medium intensity. Earthy roasted malt, doughy yeast, rusty metallic note, charcoal and some sort of ripe fruity ester I cant quite put my finger on (pear?).

Full body, quite rich upfront with enough roast astringency to keep it intact, and then some. Relatively low carbonation with a bit of creaminess to boot is inviting.

Intense body of flavour! Packed full of plenty of dirty, earthy, mulchy peated malt, deep roast coffee bean and bitter cocoa. Quite sweet with notes of date and prune that will no doubt develop over time, then BAM a big hit of hop and acrid espresso-like bitterness.

Top notch Jason! Sure, its full on with peated and roasted malts, and packs a bit of punch, but bugger me its tasty! Also managed snag another bottle of this bad boy; definitely age worthy! Cheers!
Well I don't know what to say in reply except for thanks and I am glad you enjoyed it. Is the rusty metallic note objectionable, where do you think that is coming from, hoping not and infection?

You should have tried the sample bottle I had after only a week, talked about peaty smoke dominated. It is such strong malt, 100 grams in 5.3kg (1.9%). I had a bottle last week and it is mellowing out nicely. I still think 6- 8 weeks in the bottle will round the beer out nicely. Having never made a porter before I think Ill need to make it without the peat to see how the base beer is balanced.

Cheers Jason.

Latest posts

Back