Group Barley wine tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
I was cleaning up the shed and cellar yesterday and come across a few of the barley wines that were brewed and swapped during a club activity 3 years ago. Turns out its about 3 years since the brew date, so it'd be worth a taste!

For those who weren't around then, we brewed about 140L of barley wine together at Toukley Country brewer, took home 20L each and fermented it on different yeasts. We then bottled it and swapped with everyone, so we all got a 6pack of the same barley wine, fermented on different yeasts.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78737-group-barley-wine/

This beer had a bottlecap with LOC or something similar written on it. I didn't ferment this one and I am not sure who did. Anyone here recognise it?
hL01KuXb.jpg

Anyway, here are my tasting notes

Appearance - Dark, heavy brown with a light off white head, that hangs around for a while.
Aroma - Heavy aroma of dark fruits. Cherries, blackberries and dark sugars. No hop aroma. Can almost smell the burnt malt from the brewing process.
Mouthfeel - Heavy and full bodied. Light carbonation.
Taste - Very sweet but not cloying or too sweet. Dark fruits, honey and caramel. Bitterness is firm and balanced for the sweetness - The bitterness has dropped since last tasting and is well balanced, but still strong and suits the style. No burnt taste. No alcohol either, which is impressive considering its 10-12%
Overall - Wow, time has improved this beer remarkably! Very good barley wine, which is not normally a style I enjoy. Fruity, boozy and bitter. Very easy to drink. Only finished half of it and it's gone to my head!
5ydTtuDb.jpg

I took one to the club meet last time.
That smokey/smoky flavour has gone.
I have a heap of these in my stash, I'll see if I can find some "LOC" ones.
(they're not mine)

I was thinking it could have been Josh's which was done on WLP007 yeast. L is an upsidedown 7.

Back