Nsw Xmas In July Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
Okay, first cab of the rank.

No. 6 GULPA's Belgian Dubbel.

Opened with a lovely pphhffzz .. lovely aroma in the bottle. Looks a touch over carbed (though all the travel may not have helped). Poured clear, golden amber .. lovely colour really. Tastes like shit . Nah. just kidding. Bloody nice, easy tasting dubbel. No alcohol fusels, no harshness of any form (so nothing like any dubbel I've brewed) A very nice, well balanced, easy drinking brew. Once again a winner Gulpa. No doubt the perfect first beer of a case swap tasting.

Thanks mate !

late edit : into the second half of the bottle, this one is drinking better and better as I get drunker and drunker. Oh, if every beer in this swap is only half as good as this , we will be salivating (drink 19 last .. drink 19 last ........ please)

Okay, first cab of the rank.

No. 6 GULPA's Belgian Dubbel.

Opened with a lovely pphhffzz .. lovely aroma in the bottle. Looks a touch over carbed (though all the travel may not have helped). Poured clear, golden amber .. lovely colour really. Tastes like shit . Nah. just kidding. Bloody nice, easy tasting dubbel. No alcohol fusels, no harshness of any form (so nothing like any dubbel I've brewed) A very nice, well balanced, easy drinking brew. Once again a winner Gulpa. No doubt the perfect first beer of a case swap tasting.

Thanks mate !

late edit : into the second half of the bottle, this one is drinking better and better as I get drunker and drunker. Oh, if every beer in this swap is only half as good as this , we will be salivating (drink 19 last .. drink 19 last ........ please)

Glad you enjoyed it Ian.

Cheers
Andrew.

Use this for tasting comments.

Go to the Articles and edit your brew details if need be.

12. mrs eyres - Black Buste Porter 5.5% bottled 18th May RTD

Had this one last night.
Low to medium carb, nice mix of roast and coffee notes. Malty but not sweet. I enjoyed it.
I ended up with two of these so will try another in a few months time.

Thanks Guys.

12. mrs eyres - Black Buste Porter 5.5% bottled 18th May RTD

Had this one last night.
Low to medium carb, nice mix of roast and coffee notes. Malty but not sweet. I enjoyed it.
I ended up with two of these so will try another in a few months time.

Thanks Guys.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I kicked off with - 10. Muggus - Ottpaz SMASH Pale Ale

Tasty drop thanks Muggus, a nice way to start off the case.

cheers

nifty

Hey Guys,

I know its the tasting thread, Just wanted to say cheers to Barls for putting on the day. Wish I wasnt driving and could hang around longer. Its was great to meet you all who were there, also good to put faces to names.

After fatz review of Gulpa's dubbel, I thought Id start with it. Gulpa, gotta say nice beer man! Loved the colour, so red. Also, great fermentation. The yeast character just tasted dubbel. The candi notes without the sweetness made this a real treat. This style of beer, I really havent thought of brewing so to have a bottle home brewed well, was cool. Good work. Its made me keen to get into the rest of the swap.

To get onto my beer. Just thought id add my recipe, so youd have an idea what ur tasting.

Cheers
Alex

46ltrs

Grain
12.2kg Maris otter
.4kg crystal 140
.4 kg carahell

mash 64 degrees

Hops
60g EKG 60min
60g Fuggles 60min
60g EKG 30min
60g Fuggles 30min

yeast
Nottingham ale 19 degrees 3days
raised to 23 over three days
crashed to .5 2 days

Finings, geletin

I kicked off with - 10. Muggus - Ottpaz SMASH Pale Ale

Tasty drop thanks Muggus, a nice way to start off the case.

cheers

nifty
Thanks Nifty.

The beer's been in bottle for what seems like an eternity, and I snaked a bottle of the stuff a couple of weeks after bottling and it seemed Ok, but I've been secretly hoping it got better!

On that note, I submit my first review.
And considering I haven't picked up my beers yet, this is all i've tried thus far...

Beer: 13. Muggus - Ottpaz SMASH
Date: 10th April 2010
Details: 750ml bottle gold cap underlined “10”, 5.0% WLP023 bottled 19 Mar 2010
Sampling Notes:
Served chilled in goblet.

Bright orange body with uniform haze. Inch of white foam dies off slowly, leaving clumpy lace

Subtle aroma, hops prominent; orange peel, grassy herbs, touch of doughy yeast in the background.

Light bodied, medium carbonation, slight drying texture.

Simple enough flavour; orange peel, tobacco, and green herbs, combining with husky malt, bit of spice and dough. Lingering grassy, leafy, resin and a decent bitterness.

Kind of simple, but that’s sort of what it’s made for. Hops could be more prominent; yeast character tends to overshadow them.

Edit: And oh yeah, I might also try to steer others in the same direction as Nifty, to drink mine first. Mainly just because it's been in bottle 4 months! But also, I kinda have no idea how it's been tasting in 3 months...so i'm a bit anxious, problem with making your beer TOO early for a caseswap.

I tasted Barls (no 1) tonight ..I Loved it ...I am knew to this so still got to get my pallette into gear ..So I am choosing to sit on the bench as far as comments go ..BUT I would love to know what the "aniseed " taste in this magnificent (imho) beer was .
Cheers.

Tonight I have sampled Nifty's black ale/stout/something, which I considered to be quite a change from the commercial I have been drinking of late (been too flat out to brew). Tasty, full of flavour, quite enjoyable. I followed it up with the work of the Eyres crew. This was a beautifully smooth porter, so rich and creamy I wish I has another bottle to have after. Currently enjoying Muggus work, rather hoppy, but as a self confessed hophead I am loving it.....

Thanks Tim.

I too had 12. mrs eyres - Black Buste Porter and agree with Tim's comments, a very smoooth beer. Very nice thanks.

nifty

Thanks Tim and Steve glad you guys enjoyed it. Might have to put my one in the fridge :)

I tasted Barls (no 1) tonight ..I Loved it ...I am knew to this so still got to get my pallette into gear ..So I am choosing to sit on the bench as far as comments go ..BUT I would love to know what the "aniseed " taste in this magnificent (imho) beer was .
Cheers.
no idea theres none added in the recipe
glad you enjoyed it though

i had this 9. Josh - Doppelbock WLP838 7.5% last night
very nice and very drinkable with a lovely malty aroma and taste. A nice solid white head that lasted to whole beer and a beautiful red colour Great beer Josh thanks. :icon_cheers:

also this one Gruntus - Marzen, WY2633, 5.2% again very nice beer with a great aroma and flavour that was well balanced, a nice amber colour with a good white head.
it went down really easily thanks Gruntus :icon_cheers:

cheer's steve

10. Muggus - Ottpaz SMASH Pale Ale - WLP23, 62ibu 5.0%abv

Thought I would start of the case with this one.

Pours light gold, hazy, with a big rocky head that persists. Aroma reminds me of a belgian blond more than anything else, a mix of yeast and citrus aromas blending nicely. Flavour follows the same, though the citrus flavours come out more, lemon sherbet with some yeast flavours there as well. Malt is taking a back seat. Light medium body, nice carb, well bittered but hard to believe there is 62 IBU in there. Nice beer Mike. Im not that familiar with Topaz hops but the certainly give the beer an interesting profile, not simple at all. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Andrew.

9. Josh - Doppelbock WLP838 7.5%

Lovely ruby colour with a nice creamy head. Aroma is initially very fruity, dark fruits, raisins etc. which comes back to bready munich malt as it warms up a bit. Flavour is lovely malty goodness, creamy with the fruits there as well. Medium full body, carb suits, nicely bittered, lovely balance. Not much else to say. Great beer, Josh. Perfect for a cold winter evening. Thanks.

Cheers
Andrew.

No.19 Fatgodzilla's English Ale

Just sipping this one now, pours clear and dark brown, sparse head, nice malty aroma with some light roast notes and interesting yeast derived flavours complementing the malt. A most enjoyable beer.

cheers

grant

Barls' Smoked Dark Belgian Strong Ale.

With the warning labels, champagne bottle and frankly just knowing Barls's beers I was a little intimidated by this beer Hence my decision to hoe into it first.

Not as much carbonation as the Warning Label and bottle would suggest. The beer pours very dark with a nice and punchy Belgian scent about it. Short lasting
but fluffy head. Slight swirl of solids (yeast and what not) floating through the beer that I found to be rather visually attractive.
The beer Is not as smokey as I was expecting and was hidden well behind the strong yeast character. Very well balanced and superbly strong (what %
are we talking Barls ?) I would hazard a guess at around 10% A noticeable but pleasant alcoholic taste overall a pleasant drop although I am not sure If I would
have been able to withstand another one in a session It is quite overwhelming of the palette. Delicious Thanks Barls.

mrs eyres - Black Buste Porter 5.5%

An almost Black beer that poured with very little head, Delicious subtle cafe esc aroma. Extremely well balanced, If I was more experienced I am sure I would have been able to distinguish each ingredient
as the flavours seemed to be quite separated however still complimentary to each other. A great malty beer I wish I had another few. brilliant beer to end the night on.

Thanks Eyres family.

Barls' Smoked Dark Belgian Strong Ale.

With the warning labels, champagne bottle and frankly just knowing Barls's beers I was a little intimidated by this beer Hence my decision to hoe into it first.

Not as much carbonation as the Warning Label and bottle would suggest. The beer pours very dark with a nice and punchy Belgian scent about it. Short lasting
but fluffy head. Slight swirl of solids (yeast and what not) floating through the beer that I found to be rather visually attractive.
The beer Is not as smokey as I was expecting and was hidden well behind the strong yeast character. Very well balanced and superbly strong (what %
are we talking Barls ?) I would hazard a guess at around 10% A noticeable but pleasant alcoholic taste overall a pleasant drop although I am not sure If I would
have been able to withstand another one in a session It is quite overwhelming of the palette. Delicious Thanks Barls.
ok if it had low carbonation it needs a bit longer then. if it had of been warmer this wouldnt have been a problem i think. also whats everyone think of the labels ?
i was dissapointed with the smoke level as i could of gone more and possibly will soon.
it made it to about 9.5 i think i was aiming for about 12 but didnt get the gravity out of the mash tun.
im glad you enjoyed it and ive been keeping a few bottles aside for the come thats coming up along with a few others.
i still havent got near any of my case but i have been away since thursday and havent spent much time at home.

Latest posts

Back