Nsw Xmas In July Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fatz's bitter

Just the normal malts, huh? Seems like you might have slipped in a touch of smoked malts in there as well though. Nice in fact with the smoke really prominent along with the darker malts. Fairly light body and a dry finish. Nice beer, FGZ. What was the grain bill?

Seems I need to learn to label my beer, although I am becoming known for my constant use of black caps (I bought 500) of them a while back, but then started to kegging not long after, still got many case swaps worth left over....

I had 20. Megs80- Fugglies on Kent IPA, 6% earlier tonight.

Top drop, I really enjoyed this one, thanks.

cheers

nifty

Cheers Nifty,

I didnt have any left over from that batch, so its good to hear cabonation went well and tasted alright.

Alex

15. Syd_03 - Pink Panther Peated Porter - 6.3%

Enjoyed this one watching the ABs beat the Wallabies last night.
I loved it! It had a very unique taste, unlike anything I have experienced before.
Perfect carbonation, but cant comment on head etc as I was too busy watching the game.
What exactly does peated mean?
Would like to try to brew this one myself. Is there a recipe thread for this swap?
Top work Jason

Ah yes, it's good to be able to finally have a few of these beers...

I had the pleasure of getting stuck in to 13. Stuster - Oatmeal Stout, Pacman yeast, 6.4%, bottled 8th July tonight.

A very nice stout, and so smooth drinking, lovely beer, thanks.

cheers

nifty

Polished this one off earlier this afternoon and I really enjoyed it. A very tasty drop. Thanks Jase.

cheers

nifty
You are very welcome Steve, glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to get some of the beers in the fridge this week.

Enjoyed this one watching the ABs beat the Wallabies last night.
I loved it! It had a very unique taste, unlike anything I have experienced before.
Perfect carbonation, but cant comment on head etc as I was too busy watching the game.
What exactly does peated mean?
Would like to try to brew this one myself. Is there a recipe thread for this swap?
Top work Jason
Glad you found it favourable Greg. Lucky for you Giteau shanked his kicks.

Peated refers to the small amount of peated malt I used in the grist. I have only used it once before but from what I have read it is a very potent malt and needs to be used with care. It is traditionally used in the production of Scotch whiskey and not traditional for beers. The peat is used to fuel the fire for the kilning of the grain similar to German rauchmalz, which is dried over Beechwood fires.

I used 1.9% in this brew, I havent had one since it was only a few weeks old and I thought at this time the peat might be over the top, but from peoples comments it seems to have mellowed out. I haven't a bottle left to try though, looks like I will have to rebrew this recipe.

I will try to put it in the DB or I could just post it on here.

Cheers
Jason

13. Stuster - Oatmeal Stout, Pacman yeast, 6.4%, bottled 8th July tonight.

A very nice stout, and so smooth drinking, lovely beer, thanks.

Thanks, nifty. Glad you liked it.

And Jase, maybe post the recipe for your peated porter here as well as in the DB. IMO would be good to see it here along with the tasting notes.

... maybe post the recipe ... here as well as in the DB. IMO would be good to see it here along with the tasting notes.

As you wish sir. Recipe is in the database here.

Split batch. 2 x 30L brews. Total recipe listed here for 60L.

12kg Weyerman Munich I
7kg Weyerman Vienna
5kg JW Vienna
2kg Weyerman Melanoidin
1kg Weyerman CaraRed

68*C mash
4g CaSO4
8g CaCl2

80g Tettnanger 4.1% 60 mins
60g Tettnanger 4.1% cube

3L WLP838 Southern German Lager

Pitched 2 x cubes, then the 3rd 24 hours later to give another shot of aeration while hopefully the yeast was still in growth phase.

OG 1.075
FG 1.019

Trap for young players: when you plan on making a high gravity beer, know that your mash tun has the required capacity. Wound up mashing parts of both sessions in handy pails cos my mash tun didn't have the space for all the grain.

8. DJR - APA - loads of Weyermann Vienna, hops are Sauvin and Amarillo - bottled around 18/7 so will be good to drink around 7th August

Slight haze, low but persistent head, medium carb.

Enjoying the fullness of body and slightly bready malt note without having an over the top sweetness.

Hop flavour is perfectly balanced. Passionfruit, grapefruit and lime.

Well balanced finish also.

DJR, what yeast did you use? Just a slight ester profile which I'm enjoying.

Really nice beer, thanks a lot.

Fatz's bitter

Just the normal malts, huh? Seems like you might have slipped in a touch of smoked malts in there as well though. Nice in fact with the smoke really prominent along with the darker malts. Fairly light body and a dry finish. Nice beer, FGZ. What was the grain bill?

Got me really thinking now. This beer probably has a kg of old weyermanns rauch in it as I can't seem to find that last bit I thought I had. This beer was not intended as a swap beer - I made a red rye which flopped. When a second intended swap beer tasted infected in the fermener, I found this batch in the cellar and decided it was good enough for the swap. Hence the reason why it was fully carbed when we swapped!

So I reckon this would just be JW ale malt, some caramunich 2 and a touch of carafa, and likely the rauch. The Challenger was a couple of years in the freezer, so added about 50g for the full boil. I threw this lot together to get rid of old grains and to fill empty bottles. I made up the expression of dark english bitter as that's what the samplers I had tasted of.

Accept this as my usual style of erratic brewing. When I brew for myself, its anything goes as usually I am the only one who will drink it. Goes well with the roller coasting erratic year I have had. Looking forward to 2011 like a drunk to his next beer.

7. Retsamhsam - APA (Motueka and US Cascade all the way through) 02/09 - Ready to drink

I'm enjoying this one now. Nice zesty hop character. Light-Medium body. Very clean, very drinkable.

Thanks Rets, very nice beer mate.

5. Thommo - Bitter, bottled 23/7/2010, apologies, 5%, recultured coopers yeast as my 005 starter was infected - UPDATE - tried on 22/8/2010, carbed, if you like bitters young drink them now, if not leave it another month.

Funnily enough, I had a few sips of this before jumping on ahb and I thought this tastes a lot like Coopers Sparkling. Very enjoyable Thommo. Finished the first glass and taking the second downstairs while I organise the rods and tackle for tomorrows fishing trip.

Beer 24: grantw smoked porter.

Beautiful beer.
Golden long lasting head, brown-red colour with good clarity.
Roasted, slightly smoky aroma with no hop aroma.
Balanced and easy-drinking, the smoky tones add a nice background without overpowering the taste.

Another really great beer I wouldn't mind having the recipe for to try to recreate at some point.

thanks for a very enjoyable beer!

Bjorn

8. DJR - APA - loads of Weyermann Vienna, hops are Sauvin and Amarillo - bottled around 18/7 so will be good to drink around 7th August

DJR, what yeast did you use? Just a slight ester profile which I'm enjoying.

US05 pitched from dry directly on top of the wort - was fermented pretty cool though about 14-15C i think and was left in the primary for about 4-5 weeks.

Beer 24: grantw smoked porter.

Beautiful beer.
Golden long lasting head, brown-red colour with good clarity.
Roasted, slightly smoky aroma with no hop aroma.
Balanced and easy-drinking, the smoky tones add a nice background without overpowering the taste.

Another really great beer I wouldn't mind having the recipe for to try to recreate at some point.

thanks for a very enjoyable beer!

Bjorn

Glad you enjoyed it Bjorn

Here's the recipe -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: smokey the porter
Brewer: Grant
Asst Brewer:
Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Boil Size: 33.03 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 22.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.81 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 54.14 %
0.90 kg Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 17.34 %
0.45 kg Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 8.67 %
0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.67 %
0.29 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.59 %
0.29 kg Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.59 %
35.00 gm Fuggles [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
14.00 gm Fuggles [3.90 %] (10 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1.37 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) [Starter 12Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.19 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.54 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C

cheers

grant

2. nifty - some sort of ...Black Ale / Porter / Not Quite Stout. Bottled 03/06/2010 WY1469. 5.4% - Ready to Drink.

Drinking this one now. Creamy tan head on opaque black beer. Burnt toast roasty flavours with a medium light body.

A sessionable black beer if I've ever drunk one. Just what the doctor ordered after a long day at work.

12. mrs eyres - Black Buste Porter 5.5% bottled 18th May RTD

I'm enjoying this beer tonight. Black, chocolatey sweet, smooth and velvety. Great beer.

I'm just drinking my last bottle of my case swap beer, I had about 5 bottles left over after the swap.

What the h*ll happened here?
It has a clear off flavour of high alcohol or something? Tastes like it is mixed with petrol or something else that is burning in the back of the throat.. nice..

It wasn't like that when I tried the other bottles, from 2 weeks from bottling to about 2 months after bottling.
It wasn;t all that special with no real aroma or flavour hops, just a brown/amber ale kind of thing.

Has others trying my case swap experienced this, that there is a kind of fuesel oil, higher alcohol burning kind of bad taste to it?

thanks
Bjorn

Beer 17, matho APA.

Another great beer!
So happy pouring this one out of the jug, the colour is great with a nice clarity after a week in the fridge and good head. After 10 mins and half way down the glass there is still a bit of foam in the glass and good lacing down the glass.
It tastes fresh and clean, just the way it should.
It is quite bitter, compared to the porter I just had at 30 IBUs?

A very enjoyable beer, very happy to have had a bunch of different beers to try rather than just drink 30 bottles of my own beer.

thanks
Bjorn

Found 2 last bottles of my case...i'm thinking sideswap beers perhaps!?

Beer: ISB Belgian IPA
Date: 20th September 10
Details: 500ml bottle w/ label, bottled 23/07/10
Sampling Notes:
Served in a pint glass.

Really loud opening. Bottled has a ring of brown sludge around the neck (yeast?), but didnt seem to detract anything from the beer itself. Hazy orange gold body is poured, with tall thick white head.

Nice nose; floral hops, light citrus and dried herbs with background notes of spice and ripe pale fruit esters.

Full bodied, maybe not as full as Id come to expect from a Belgian or IPA though. Drying texture with medium carbonation.

Sweet malts upfront cereally and biscuity with a good hit of fruit hop and esters apricot, peach, citrus, pepper, grassy herbs. Medium bitterness of a quite a smooth finish.

Enjoyable drop. Bridges the gap between a Belgian blond and APA; perhaps not as intense as I was hoping for, but tasty nonetheless. Cheers lads!

Latest posts

Back