Nsw Xmas In July 2006 Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc

If that is the recipe in the recipe tab of this forum then I think I will be brewing this soon also!

It is indeed. Key ingredients are CaraRed and Slovian Styrian Goldings.

Doc

First of all, I'd just like to say a BIIIIG thanks to all thoe that made the xmas/july case asuccess - thanks guys!!

I have been out of town for a couple of weeks so haven't managed to keep up with all the talk of the case, but it doesn't really matter 'cos I have my case(s) with me now :D

I did notice that some reported Linz's offering as overcarbonated, so I will try that one first (opening it away from the laptop) :ph34r:

As for last time, I am going to try and keep my comments informative and helpful - the sort of thing I also aim for in a competition. If you don't think I am being helpful or informative, or you think I left something out, then please let me know!

Linz's "Grumpy Scot Stag"

I understand this is some sort of Scottish style ale, but dunno which category it is closest to.

Aroma: Harsh hop/yeast character, which might be from stirred up sediment (see Appearance). This is the dominant aroma. Little malt in the arom and no detectable smokey aroma.

Appearance: When opening, this one gushed. Not over the roof, but only managed to get half a glass of beer with half a glass of foam. The beer is very cloudy, which could be because the sediment was stirred up when gushing, but also looks like yeast so perhaps this one has done some significant re-fermentation in the bottle? Colour is dark brown/red.

Flavour: Foamy throughout. Initially a typical malty flavour as expected for this style. Quickly develops to a bitter/dry beer from the extract. Hops definitely in the background (where they should be). Esters hard to assess but is either low, as expected or more typical of an English ale. Finish is litghtly bitter, tangy (extract) and bubbly. Just a hint of roasted grains in the end there.

Mouthfeel: medium/light body suggests it is more attenuated than should be for this style. Very highly carbonated which unfortunately affects the beer at many stages - it tends to mask out any subtle flavours as well as messing around with the apparent bitterness. Some alcohol warmth suggests this one is maybe 5%+?

Overall: Looks like re-fermentation in the bottle has taken its toll on this one. Partly because the CO2 masks other characters and tends to dominate, but also because it has mixed the sediment and extra yeast into the beer giving it a harsh flavour. I can tell that the recipe of malts/hops underneath appears to be reasonably sound as far as a Scottish beer goes - clear crystal sweetness and caramelly flavour, hops just enough to avoid cloying. I don't get any smoke character which is common in this style but not always there. Could be masked though. I suggest for next time just be patient and wait for the thing to ferment out. Yes, I know I am probably the last person who should be giving such advice, since most of my beers turn out too sweet.

Berp.

Good Day
Tried Linz's Scottish Stag Ale a few days ago over two nights. Put it in the fridge so it was quite cold when opened. It had high carbonation but did not gush and poured well with a large but not excessive head. I allowed it warm up a bit before drinking. Next night the carbonation was lower and the beer was more to style. So the notes are for two nights.

Appearance: Large white long lasting head, copper brown colour, clear, fairly high carbonation. Looks to style except for high carbonation. Lower carbonation more to style on night two.

Aroma: Dark malt sweetness with caramel/toasty grains evidnet. No hops (to style) with a hint of smokiness.

Flavour: Light roast flavour, some fruity esters in mid palate. Low to none bitterness and hop flavour to style. Hint of smoke? Some slight tartness. dry finish.
High carbonation accentuates roast dryness and smoke phenolics leading to tartness rather than smoothness of flavour.
Smoother on second night because of lower carbonation but still some tartness there. Could be smoke phenolics from yeast and/or smoked grain in kit.

Body/Mouthfeel: Low to low medium, over carbonated for style which affects smoothness.
Better with lower carbonation, more to style.

Overall: Very good appearance and aroma but flavour and body not to the same standard. Better with lower carbonation. The high carbonation reduces malt character while increasing roast and some tartness.
Still an interesting beer with character. Let this one warm a bit and give it time to defizz. Carbonic bite does not enhance this style but there is a good beer waiting for the patient.

PS. I have had a similar tartness from a scottish ale I made it a while ago. I put it down to some roast and smoked malts I used. A small amount of smoke malt seems to give a phenolic tartness rather than a smokiness.So if you want smokiness use 500 gms to a kilo+ of German smoked malt ( but only 100 to 200 gms of British peat smoked malt). I know Linz's was a kit but it might be the reason for the tartness I tasted.

Thanks Linz for an interesting beer. :)

I has the pleasure of sharing Barry's Robust Porter last night with a friend.

Barry, I now understand why I have seen your name, so many times, in so many competition results. This was a fabulous beer.

I have to keep my review brief but:

It poured with generous, tightly held tan head (just the way I'm sure god intended all beers to be made!). The dark colour of the beer did not hide that the beer was clear with highlights of dark ruby.

Chocolate aroma with hints of roast.

Plenty of chocolate, coffee and roast in the mouth which a very clean bitterness allowed you to enjoy. The amazing thing was the balance between bitterness, hop taste and malt flavour - absolutely brillant!

Thankyou for sharing this beer.

Comments from my beer tasting friend; "Yaaaaarh, this is what all beer should taste like."

I wanted to ask if the hop boil times on the recipe sheet that came with the beer are correct? I figured I'm tasting hop taste that wouldn't come from a 60 min boil? Or am I wrong or have I just read the recipe incorrectly?

And conincidentally, I happened to be browsing a book last night "Beer Glorious Beer" which had a recipe for a robust porter made by one Barry Cransto (a typo one presumes). There were suggestions from the brewer for improving the recipe in the direction of the porter consumed last night. Is the porter the latest version of a recipe you've been developing for years Barry?

Thanks again,

Keith

Good Day Keith
I am happy you enjoyed the beer. Yes you are correct. I left out a hop addition and didn't notice it. There should be a 10 gms Of East Kent Golding 5.2% pellets added in the last 5 mins. I have corrected the recipe now so thanks for that.
Yes that was my earlier recipe. I can't find the booklet but I remember the "Cransto".
My robust porter is at the bottom end of the specifications for the style because I brew it to drink rather than sip. Must brew a top end version of it one day. :rolleyes:

PS. Just noticed I am no longer a partial man. Thank goodness and it has only taken me 3+ years.

Duff's Dunkleweizen

Aroma: Slight clovey aroma. Perhaps a little solvent. No hops, a little malt. Overall a muted aroma.

Appearance: Medium head of very fine bubbles with medium/low head retention. Light brown colour. About what I would expect for the style. Hazy, as appropriate for style.

Flavour: Balanced malt and hops to give a malt character with a little hops to make it not too cloying. Little wheat flavour, or other flavours associated with weizens but an enjoyble drink all the same. A hint of clove again. Finish is slightly bitter and smooth with a bubbly carbonation bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full body. High carbonation, as for style and add a carbonation bite to the end of a mouthfull.

Overall: A good tasting beer thats enjoyable to drink, but lacks character as far as a weizen goes. Not sure what your recipe was, so what I suggest might not be appropriate to you. Theres a bit of clove in there but I can't get any banana, so maybe the fermentation temp was too low? Should be in the 20s. Failing that, it might be the yeast strain. I don't have any experience with WLP300, so I'm not much help here.
There's also a solventy aroma in there, which I guess is my fault for opening the thing a bit early. Maybe give it a couple more weeks. I find that a decoction (or two) goes well in this style, or perhaps some melanoidin malt to mimick a decoction. It adds a bit more malty charater to weizens.

Berp.

My daugther says:

Orange yellow colour. Yes bubbles. Hazy and cloudy. Smells like hops (?)
Bubbly smell and clear smell. spicy and bitter flavour. And juicy.
Hoppy and hoppy and it tastes like bitter sauce. 5/10

Nifty's Californian Common

Again I have not judged this to style but rather simply noted observations:

Aroma: Malt with gentle caramel sweetness. Underlying spicy notes with earthy/herbal aromas present.

Appearance: The beer poured with a great white fluffy head, this subsided reasonably quickly to leave gorgeous lace beading on the glass. A clear beer with a most excellent bronzed golden colour.

Flavour: Malt presence with a hint of graininess. Earthy hop flavour. The bitterness is low and the beer finishes fairly dry. The balance is good.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation low and body light to light/medium. Very smooth almost creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: A refreshing, very drinkable drop. As a constructive comment, I would suggest that if the hop flavour and the malt character were a little more integrated the beer would slide down the more easily. Perhap a little more time cold conditioning?

Thanks for sharing your beer and Happy Brewing.

Keith

Were you peeking at Marks tasting notes Keith :D :D

For those that have been reviewing your tastings; fantastic.
For the rest of the you there are not a lot of reviews happening for this case.
Are the beers bad, or are you just holding off on the tasting like me, choosing to polish off a few kegs instead ?

Doc

Ok, hopefully my poor effort can encourage some reviews to happen.

Sticklers Bitter.

A nice pale amber colour, with a nice level of carbonation which I have been unable to hit so far (How much priming agent to Litres did you do when you bottled?), with good clarity and with a nice gentle lacing down the glass all the way down. Relatively malty, with an appropriate level of bitterness.

I was a bit confused by the bottle label though. It said Bitter, your description said Pale Ale, but my tasting seemed to suggest more of an APA with some characteristic fruity aroma and flavour of Cascade hops. Regardless of that, there were no distinct flaws. Done with English hops and the same malt bill it probably would have made a solid English Pale Ale.

So Stickler an excellent beer. Went down a lot better than the terrible Friday night television.

Hi All,

Yes Kungy you're right about the name, I can't honestly say what I was thinking when it's obviously an APA :blink: . I'm not really educated in the way of proper Bitters so when I was knocking up a label (in a big rush) I was just thinking commercially and also that most people who try my beers comment on the bitterness level - usually from people who don't appreciate hops.

I'm really relieved to get a positive review, I was a bit nervous as 28 longnecks is the absolute max for my brewing capacity and I didn't get a chance to try it before submitting. Also my brew conditions were not ideal for this batch and a few little things were different from the normal way I make it. Anyway I'm glad at least one person liked it and to answer your question Kungy re: carbonation, I usually go for 7g/lt or maybe a smidge under.

I have tried 6 of the beers so far and have been really impressed as I knew I would. I won't go into big detail as i haven't really taken any notes just jotted down my overall thoughts after finishing the bottle.

Doc's Irish Red - Delicious, awesome colour, great mouthfeel and beautifully balanced.

Linz's Grumpy Scottish Stag - I enjoyed this beer but I'm guessing I would have alot more had the carbonation been toned down a little. I was too impatient to let it settle it too much so it kind of overpowered everything. It reminded me of an ESB nut brown ale I made earlier on in my brewing days.

Stephen's Special Bitter - This was a really nicely balanced beer but again in this case I found the carbonation level a little too high which threw it out a bit. Great colour and flavour.

T.D.'s Boston Lager - This was a really tasty little number, with fruity/spicy notes. I haven't checked your recipe, is that Amarillo?

Nifty's Californian Common - Really enjoyed this beer as I was quite thirsty when I cracked it last night and had to stop myself from necking the first glass in one gulp :chug: Wish I had beer like this to drink everyday.

Barry's Robust Porter - Unreal. As posted in a previous review this beer is absolutely lovely. Or as my wife so eloquently put it "That's f*cking awesome!". :eek: Her fave beer is the J.S. Porter but I reckon this is better. So many flavours, so balanced, enjoyed every mouthful and I'm lucky my wife is breastfeeding or I would have had to share.

I love this case swap and you'll probably never get a negative review from me cos I know the effort and creativity people put into these brews and mine is most likely the simplest of them all. I'm going to try and hold off having anymore until friday until my brother (another brewer) comes for a visit and we'll more than likely sample a few. I'll try to take more comprehensive notes from now on.

That's it from me for now and at this point Doc's and Barry's will be hard to top - very inspirational. Ahhh to AG, one day...when the planets are in alignment.

Cheers :beer:

Have only had three so far, and as no one can match Berp for detailed notes and analysis, I'll be brief.

Linz's Grumpy Scottish Stag - Apart from the aformentioned overcarbonation, I enjoyed this beer once I'd let it sit for half an hour. I found the first couple of sips of foam were a bit minerally, but after the wait it was okay.

T.D.'s Boston Lager - Bloody awesome. I actually looked at the BJCP guidelines to try and score this one properly, but then realised I didn't know where to classify it. Berp? Anyone? Enjoyed this beer immensly. Is it up in the Recipes section? (Didn't see it, but that doesn't mean it's not there - my missus will vouch for that!!!)

Doc's Irish Red - Had this before at a HBG Pizza night so already knew it was a winner. Just one thing to add. You owe me some yeast Doc. Keg carbonation....no fair. :p
This is definantly on my "to Brew" list.

I have a cold at the moment so I'm waiting patiently for my immune system to build back up before I attack it again. On a side note, I cracked one of my stubbies on Sunday and it was lightly carbonated. They have been sitting under the house at about 12 degrees. I'll crack another one this weekend and post back on Monday if it's alright.

EDIT: Can't count.

Thommo,
T.D. is over-seas at the moment, but i'm sure he'll post his recipe on return.
(by the way i dont hink he knows how to classify it either... :ph34r: )
i know roughly, its a lager using pils and some munich and some hallertau or some tettnang and some 34/70
or something like that. :D

T.D.'s Boston Lager - This was a really tasty little number, with fruity/spicy notes. I haven't checked your recipe, is that Amarillo?

I am in Canada at the moment - will be home in around a week. I will post the recipe then. The hops are Tettnang and Hersbrucker. Glad you enjoyed it!

I actually looked at the BJCP guidelines to try and score this one properly, but then realised I didn't know where to classify it. Berp? Anyone? Enjoyed this beer immensly. Is it up in the Recipes section? (Didn't see it, but that doesn't mean it's not there - my missus will vouch for that!!!)

Yeah, as Kong mentioned, I have no idea how to classify this beer! :lol: I have it down as an "American Premium Lager" or something like that (operating off memory), that's the closest I can find in the Beersmith list and it matches everything but the bitterness as I recall. Glad you liked the beer Thommo. I promise I will post the recipe asap once I'm back in the land of oz. :beer:

Ahhh Ross, you have discovered my inability to cope with modern technology, but say no more 'cause I am comfortable with the other Luddites living in our cave. :D

Stickler don't be afraid to hand negative comments over to me. Honest feedback will help me make my beer better next time around.

The next beer on my "have now consumed" list is Doc's Irish Red, and for variety I drank this one by myself.

Judged according to BJCP guidelines.

Aroma: Light malt with caramel sweetness present. Good for style.

Appearance: Off white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Crystal clear with amazing red hue.

Flavour: Malt with lingering caramel sweetness, almost toffee like. Leaves slight buttery taste in mouth on warming. Low hop taste finishing dry with a hint of graininess. Low bitterness. Balance between malt and bitterness is on the money for style.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, perhaps a little low for style. Light body. Smooth with a slickness in the mouth, appropriate for style.

Overall Impression: A very well crafted beer. Excellent for style. Drinking the beer is pretty much like reading the style guidelines. Great beer for anyone wishing to understand the style guideline better. I'd like to be a judge when you put some in the state comp.

Thanks,

Keith

T.D.'s Boston Lager

Unfortunately I am not going to be much help in deciding which BJCP category it goes into. I thought I knew it, but I was thinking of the Sam Adams Ale, which is more like an American Amber. Anyway, here we go!

Aroma: Rich hoppy nose with some fruityness. Not sure where that is coming from but probably the hops. Low esters. A hint of malt but otherwise clean.

Appearance: Gold colour. Brilliantly clear (how'd you do it???). Very fine head which forms a ring around the glass but last for a long time.

Flavour: Decidedly hoppy initially with a strong undercurrent of bitterness that stays with you right through to the end. Supporting malt flavour with a hint of graininess. Again fruitiness in the flavour. Finish is dry and bitter with a hint of drying, almost harsh end.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Carbonation is medium high and gives a carbonation bite to the beer (could be a touch lower). Some alcohol warmth.

Overall: A great beer, T.D.! Very easy drinking with a good hop flavour to it and plenty of character - not something you usually attribute to a lager. The bitterness is certainly dominant and is close to being too dominant, but I think its a good character where it is now. Well done!

As for style, its sort of like a north german pilsner in the high hopping rates, but its not as dry as I would expect, and a little fuller. Also a little darker, but thats probably your best bet for a style.

Berp.

Afraid I have been lazy in the posting reviews dept, even though I have only had 3 so far. All my reviews are going to be my own opinion only, nothing will be intended to cause offense to the brewer if is an unfavourable review. If it is a good review, I mean it. I am only going to give my honest opinion, and expect the same in return, cause I am certain there are quite a few areas in my brew that can do with improving, and I am all ears, and will act on recommendations. IPA is one of my favourite styles, so if I can dial it in with the help of honest feedback, I will be a happy camper....

Anyway, even though I am taking notes on score sheets, I wont go too into detail, and will give it a score at the end.

Linz's Scottish Stag

I found the aroma to be quite subdued as far as maltiness or peatiness that I would expect in a scottish ale, instead I found a slightly metallic aroma, that may have been yeast? It was a dark copper in colour, with a massive head that subsided quickly to loose formed bubbles around the glass. It looked like a kit beer with the large carbonation bubbles, and it was also quite cloudy. I should have opened it and let it rest a few hours. My apologies that I didnt.
For such a coloured beer, I found the flavours almost non existent, except that metallic/yeasty (?) flavour was alot more pronounced in the flavour than the aroma. I couldnt really taste any of the malty sweetness I would expect in a scottish ale, nor the peaty/smoky character that seems to be characteristic. I may have served it a little too cold, though it improved little as it warmed. The carbonation obviously had alot to do with the muting of the flavours. Carbonation also rendered the beer reasonably thinner than the medium low body that I detected, my throat and tongue tingled, but there was no astringency to it.
The metallic flavour was just too much for me, I am afraid, and I didnt really enjoy this beer as much as I should have. Possibly it is the carbonation factor, and I would like to try this beer less carbonated, as it would probably taste very different. All I can recommend (apart from the carb) is to maybe next time try and boil down a few litres to a litre or so to get that kettle caramelisation? Dont know what else to suggest. I gave it 21/50
All the best
Trent

DOC'S Irish Red

I found this beer to have a sweet malty aroma with caramel and toffee notes, and no fruitiness or anything to put it out of style. It was a deep copper, clear with a low white head. The flavour was quite smooth, with caramelly sweetness and toffee flavours and some alcohol warming. I thought I detected a low hop flavour (to style) and the finish dried out slightly due to the use of roasted malts. definitely balanced towards the malt, but the medium bitterness prevented it from being cloying. I found it to have medium carbonation, medium body, and a creaminess to it. This beer fits into style prefectly, but IMO it sat too heavily in my stomach to be an all night drink, great for the one bottle, but wouldnt go back for another straight afterwards. All my beers used to sit this heavy in my guts and I couldnt ever have a big night on them, so I reduced my mash temp, which is what I would do in the case of this beer to make it more quaffable. That might reduce the sweetness up front though, so may not be the answer, but thought I would mention it anyway. I gave it 42.5/50
All the best
Trent
EDIT - sp.

Stephens Best Bitter

I found a slightly metallic aroma to this beer, probably yeast, with some malt aroma, with moderate hop and fruity esters. There was no diacetyle, and I found a low caramel note as it warmed. It was medium gold, clear, but not brilliant, and had a dense white head that dissipated quickly, though it could have been my glassware. There was a low malt flavour, and a moderate fruitiness, but low hop flavour. There was only a med/low bitterness, and I found the metallic/yeasty flavours to be a little more dominant than anything else, yet other flavours still showed through. The finish was a bit sweeter than I would expect in a bitter, and there was a bit of carbonic bite. I haven't written "was it fermented a little warmish?" but have given any description as to why I thought that (sorry). It had a medium/low body, with a slight creaminess that I found was almost negated by a low level of carbonic bite. There was also a low level of alcohol warmth.
This is quite an easy drinking beer, but for a bitter should be a little drier in the finish, and have a firmer bitterness. I found the yeast to be the dominant flavour, yet not in an offensive way, but I would have liked to have tasted a little more malt, and maybe a touch more hop flavour (and more bitterness). Maybe use a bit more crystal or roasted malts to darken the colour and dry it out a little, and possibly burtonise your water if you have already put in enough bittering hops to give it a 0.9-1.0 BU-GU ratio. this is something I will be doing with my bitters soon, they dont have the firmess I am looking for, so that may be something to look at.
Of the several beers of Stephens I have tried, I am afraid to say that this one is my least favourite, but it is still a nice beer. I gave it 34/50
All the best
Trent
EDIT - spelling

Latest posts

Back