Nsw Xmas In July 2006 Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weizguy's Berliner Weisse

What a perfect beer for this hot day! Very clear beer, with minimal head, a clean sourness which is still lingering. No need for syrup with this one, Sethie. I don't think it's a beer I'd like to drink lots of but I'm very glad to have tried a beer of this style. Great brewing. :super:

Aaaauuw, youse guys....

I'm quite happy with the Berliner too. I'm glad I put this in as a bonus beer.

I only wish it was as classy as Kong's Ale, or as lofty as Barry's Porter. Both exceptional beers in their own right.

I'd like to see a competitive beer from me this year. maybe it's this sour beer...

Beerz
Seth (and 2 SFPAs + 2 Stone's Bitter's) out :p

*Edit for content and punctuation under the influence of a single glass of 2 yr old dunkelweizenbock

Another vote for Weizguy's Berliner Weisse. Not as sour as last December's swap (which I enjoyed), just wonderfully light and very refreshing. The pick of the case so far for mine.

Fantastic beer Seth, thankyou for including it as an extra and sharing it with us :beerbang:

Cheers.

I know I'm way behind the times here. still have 1/2 a case form the July swap left which i had hidden. Just cracked POMO's offering and was here looknig for the recipe. I couldn't detect any off flavourings at all. I wasn't doing a full test on it so can't talk about smell etc. but it was an extremely easy drinking beer which was well balanced to my palate. Had the right amount of bitterness for a beer which you can easily pick up in the heat and knock a few over.

When i got here looking for what others had said i was surprised, but there was no probs here whatsoever. I would be more than happy if the same was offered again.

I know I'm way behind the times here. still have 1/2 a case form the July swap left which i had hidden. Just cracked POMO's offering and was here looknig for the recipe. I couldn't detect any off flavourings at all. I wasn't doing a full test on it so can't talk about smell etc. but it was an extremely easy drinking beer which was well balanced to my palate. Had the right amount of bitterness for a beer which you can easily pick up in the heat and knock a few over.

When i got here looking for what others had said i was surprised, but there was no probs here whatsoever. I would be more than happy if the same was offered again.

Cheers berto.

Best I can work out is that it was oxidised during racking to the bottling bucket and that the yeast has cleaned it up in the bottle. Only those who drank them in the first month or so noticed the oxidisation. Gotta remember what we tell the n00bs sometimes, and just give it more time. I don't think I posted the recipe anywhere. Just JW Traditional Ale malt, 200g light Xtal, some DME and white sugar to get gravity up to 1.045 (iirc, maybe a touch lower). Bittered with Pride Plus flowers, flavour and aroma were EKG plugs.

Stuster's Dubbel

This tasted like something I had before. May have been Duvel, but it's been awhile.
Plenty of fruity Belgian esters and maltiness. Definitely a sipping beer.
I served it in a Chimay glass.
Was this more of a Golden strong Ale? Gotta try this style soon. Have the ingredients already.

Warming alcohol, without vaporous fusels.
Balanced bitterness and mild aged character.
Good to the last warm drop.

Do you have any left?
How did U rate it when younger, and how do U rate it now?

Quite happy, but was lacking some indefinables. Once you find some intrinsic character and coax it out, you can put me down for one of the first cases.

BTW, I missed the express train with your beer samples. Still have them here for later delivery.

Seth :p

Good pick, Leseth, as it's the Duvel yeast, 1388. Glad you liked it, but I agree that it's not quite there. It was meant to be a Dubbel. :unsure: I had the last bottle of this several months ago so it's interesting to hear how it's aged. I think it's probably lacking some quality darker malts. Almost all the grain bill was Joe White and next time I'll be trying some Caramunich, CaraAroma etc. I think I'll stick with Trad Ale as the base though. In some old threads wessmith said that it was modelled on Belgian Pale malt. And (look away now neonmeate) I'll probably use some funky sugars like Gula Jawa. Anyway, now I've got Brew Like a Monk, I'll probably change the recipe totally. :lol:

Yep, I mave cheated and researched the yeast. That's why I thought it may have tasted like Duvel, but wasn't sure since it's been ages since I had one. Used to visit both the Belgian beer cafes in Sydney.
I can say for sure that Leffe blonde is no longer impressive once U have made a TDA Fly Blown Belgian ale. It's at least as good.

Hope U get a good recipe for the Dubbel. I normally check out other recipes of the style and think about it from there

Just chaffing my way though an Aidan's Irish ale by Doc.

Dang, I'm happy I did that BJCP course. Now, I can describe the beer satisfactorily. I get a moderately high mouthfeel from this beer. I get some roasty fllavours as well as caramel and base malt. The bitterness is there in balanced quantity, and there is strong hop character. Reminds me a freshly hopped hand-pumped ale I drank at the Wig & Pen in Winter or the hand-pumped ale at the Redoak 2 weeks ago. A lingering resinous mouthfeel and taste that hangs on.

I was almost scared to taste my Kase weizen after this big-flavoured and delicious offering...but I did. Now off to the Kase Konsumption thread. (hmmm, I gotta remember to save one for Berp).

Seth :p

Latest posts

Back