Nsw Xmas In July 2006 Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stephens Best Bitter

I found a slightly metallic aroma to this beer, probably yeast, with some malt aroma, with moderate hop and fruity esters. There was no diacetyle, and I found a low caramel note as it warmed. It was medium gold, clear, but not brilliant, and had a dense white head that dissipated quickly, though it could have been my glassware. There was a low malt flavour, and a moderate fruitiness, but low hop flavour. There was only a med/low bitterness, and I found the metallic/yeasty flavours to be a little more dominant than anything else, yet other flavours still showed through. The finish was a bit sweeter than I would expect in a bitter, and there was a bit of carbonic bite. I haven't written "was it fermented a little warmish?" but have given any description as to why I thought that (sorry). It had a medium/low body, with a slight creaminess that I found was almost negated by a low level of carbonic bite. There was also a low level of alcohol warmth.
This is quite an easy drinking beer, but for a bitter should be a little drier in the finish, and have a firmer bitterness. I found the yeast to be the dominant flavour, yet not in an offensive way, but I would have liked to have tasted a little more malt, and maybe a touch more hop flavour (and more bitterness). Maybe use a bit more crystal or roasted malts to darken the colour and dry it out a little, and possibly burtonise your water if you have already put in enough bittering hops to give it a 0.9-1.0 BU-GU ratio. this is something I will be doing with my bitters soon, they dont have the firmess I am looking for, so that may be something to look at.
Of the several beers of Stephens I have tried, I am afraid to say that this one is my least favourite, but it is still a nice beer. I gave it 34/50
All the best
Trent
EDIT - spelling
Trent

I thank you for your honest appraisal of my beer.

The metallic taste I think may have come from the 1028 yeast I used: I have heard quite a few people mention that it will impart a metallic tatse into a beer. Then again it could be the ferment temp! I didn't have much control when I made this brew so it could have been any temp. Also, I don't know how old this yeast is or how many generations it has been used for.

The over carbonation resulted from my "6 grams/bottle of sugar" priming regime that I employed at the time of bottling - I have since learned more and now follow a more regulated priming schedule: Look at the style and (using Promash) use the correct amount of primer.

As for the rest - this where the feedback that you and others provide that will help me improve my brewing methods and recipes. For this I thank you all in advance.

Again, Trent, thank you for the feedback. The beers you have tried before (at BJCP) this have been made after this particular brew and after I have learned more as I made each brew.

Regards

Steve

T.D's Boston Lager.

Appearance - Dark yellow in colour almost dawnish yellow, good carbonation and an excellent long lasting head, perfect in this regard.

Taste - At first it was a bit funky for my liking for the first schooner but by the end of the second schooner had a nice appreciation for it, rather hoppy but would be a great sessional beer.

7/10 - An aquired taste I feel, not one that everyone could dig into right away.

Good Day
Gee I have certainly enjoyed drinking these beers. :party: Here is a few opinions for what they are worth.

Steve's Special Bitter

Appearance: Gold, clear, good head that lasts fairly well, medium high carbonation (high for style). Looks like bottled special bitter.

Aroma: Ale malt, herbal/floral hop aroma, some esters, English yeast character coming through, solid English ale aroma.

Flavour: English malt flavour, bready/toasty, medium bitterness, herbal English hop flavour, dry finish with lingering hop earthiness. High carbonation detracts with carbonic bite but eases with time in the glass, sweet malt builds up.

Mouthfeel: light/medium, high carbonation detracts.

Overall: A very drinkable special bitter with English malt, hop and yeast character. High carbonation detracts

36-37/50 when allowed to defizz a bit. ( at 8-10oC) :party:

T.D.'s Boston Lager

Appearance: Amber, good long lasting head, very clear, fine bead.

Aroma: Clean malt, some caramel, some spicey hop aroma. Good balance of malt and hops.

Flavour: Clean sweet malt with caramel, medium/high bitterness giving a bitter sweet flavour. Hop spice/herbal flavour builds up nicely, fairly bitter finish. A bit higher carbonation would lighten slightly heavy malt. Still very moreish.

Mouthfeel: Rather full bodied, fine bead carbonation, very smooth.

Overall: A strong flavoured lager, bitter sweet, rather full bodied for style (American vienna??). Rich lager that is nearly ale like.

38/50 ( I see in my notes I gave the commercial version 39/50 18 months ago it was similar but more of a vienna style).

TD's Boston Lager

I found the aroma to be maltiness with a light grainy character, some sweetness and a low hop aroma. It was a clean aroma, with no diacetyl of real fruitiness, but probably a little more malt aroma than yer average lager. It looked a med-deep gold, and was clear with a low white head, and low-med carbonation. As far as flavours go, I found a malty sweetness, offset by a medium bitterness, and a pleasant amount of hop flavour. The hop flavour lingered into the aftertaste and the beer finished slightly sweet. I thought it was well balanced. I found a med to med-full body, medium carbonation and a slight tingling in my throat. There was no astringency, and it had a creaminess to it that made it quite a satisfying beer.
Overall, I thought it to be an excellent beer, with plenty of body and malt, sufficient hop flavour, while not having too much, and the right amount of bitterness to support it all. It certainly isnt the every day lager, and as Barry just said, it is probably more inline with a Vienna, though it is quite a bit sweeter than a Vienna would be? I really enjoyed it, and would probably call it an "ale drinkers lager" due to the body and flavour it has. I didnt know what to judge it to, and just gave points for what I thought it should get, and ended up at 42/50.
All the best
Trent

Nifty's Calf. Common

Appearance: Dark gold/light amber, very good good head, some haze, low+ carbonation.

Aroma: Clean malt with some toasty aroma (vienna or munich?), real herbal/earthy hop aroma. Full rich aroma to style.

Flavour: Full malt, toasty with caramel, solid bitterness that lingers, nice herbal/earthy hop flavour. Bitter finish to style, malt might be slightly too rich for style but balances hops well.

Mouthfeel: Med+ body, might be too full for style but very smooth, Medium carbonation.

Overall: A very tasty calf. common. Good hop/malt balance. Slightly too full bodied and smooth malt flavour for style (could have some graininess) but sooo drinkable. Better than any steam beer that I have made (which is not saying much when I come to think of it).

39/50

Well these are just my opinions so lets hear yours. Nothing is absolute in beer appreciation because tastes differ so much.
All great beers to sample. :super:

I've only had one so far, Berto hasn't had any as they are still sitting in my garage...

I'm a little concerned of mine, it was a late rush on a receipe I've never tried before :ph34r: If it sucks I'll make it up in December with one so hoppy you'll have to wear a gas mask when pouring :lol:

Stephen's Special Bitter

Poured foamy - 3/4 beer 1/4 foam in the glass.

Aroma: Floral hoppy aroma immediately obvious even with the thick head. Spicy, with a hint of alcohol underneath. Some fruity esters.

Appearance: Very clear, high carbonation in the beer supports a very thick head of fine, white bubbles that forms ice-cream texture head after a couple of minutes. Colour is just a tad darker than gold.

Flavour: Nutty and slightly molassess flavour with the malt initially. Some balancing hop flavour which takes second place to the malt at the moment. The main thing is the carbonation is too high and gives you a foamy mouth, which makes it hard to get to the flavours. Finish is assertively bitter and slightly dry, with a lingering earthy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Very high carbonation. Some astringency detected in there as well. Not sure if its from the hops or the mashing regime.

Overall: The beer obviously suffers from overcarbonation, but I can tell there is a good balance of malt and hop flavours which taste pretty much as I would expect for a bitter. I'll note the point that 5% is a bit on the high side for a best bitter (as far as entering it in a competition goes) and would probably suit better as an ESB/English Pale Ale. After pondering this beer a while (and letting it degas), I've come to the conclusion its a very nice sesion beer, if a little strong. There is also a very subtle cloying character that lingers in the mouth. I am not sure what thi is from. Perhaps a bit of diacetyl or a bit of DMS. I don't think its cloying because of too much residual sugar.

Berp.

PS. Jessie's comments:
aroma: bitter and I think its a bit of sugar.
flavour: bitter and it looks like tomato sauce. A little bit salty and a little bit grumbly. 10/10

[
PS. Jessie's comments:
aroma: bitter and I think its a bit of sugar.
flavour: bitter and it looks like tomato sauce. A little bit salty and a little bit grumbly. 10/10
[/quote]
To all who have commented on my beer I thank you. It is very refreshing to hear that I have made a decent beer, although a bit overcarbonated. This is one of my earlier AG brews, No. 6 to be precise, and, as I stated in an earlier post I have learnt a lot more since: Have AG No 22 primary as I type.

I also thank you all for the feedback on how to improve this beer. Basically it is a slightly modified version of Tony's Special Bitter recipe that can be found somewhere in this forum. But the suggestions will be utilised. Again, Thank you!

As for Jessie's comments, I think I will frame these and hang them in my brewery. For these are treasured comments - and honest. Thank you.

Steve

Ah guys, I have sad news. Something, I know not what, as my mashing difficulties could not have produced the off-flavour I detect in my beer, has made my contribution taste crap. I kept a few in the cupboard so I could check out what it was like and I'm sorry to report a dud. If anyone could brave a sip (it won't kill you, I've had two whole bottles so far) and give their opinion on what made this foulness, please post in here. It's very dry and astringent... bottle with no label but "PoMo" in texta on the lid.

Again, my apologies and I promise to contribute something proven for the Xmas at Xmas case should you chose to accept me (where's the emoticon for the walk of shame?).

Ahh the lone wolf walk of shame...

it makes people like me feel better to hear stories (rare as they are) of blokes who know what they are doing turn out a dud.

I just diguise my shite beers with high alc so after the second one (if the drinker dares) they dont remember much at all! :blink:

Sorry to hear that PoMo. I will try and give your's a crack over the weekend, no guarantees I will be able to help identify the culprit, but I will give it my best shot
All the best
Trent

Ah guys, I have sad news. Something, I know not what, as my mashing difficulties could not have produced the off-flavour I detect in my beer, has made my contribution taste crap. I kept a few in the cupboard so I could check out what it was like and I'm sorry to report a dud. If anyone could brave a sip (it won't kill you, I've had two whole bottles so far) and give their opinion on what made this foulness, please post in here. It's very dry and astringent... bottle with no label but "PoMo" in texta on the lid.

Again, my apologies and I promise to contribute something proven for the Xmas at Xmas case should you chose to accept me (where's the emoticon for the walk of shame?).

To be honest, PoMo, I wish there were more bad beers in the case. I certainly learn a lot more that way and hopefully others do too. So I will definitely try your beer at some stage and lets see if we can find out whats going on.

Stephen, glad you liked Jessies comments. She certainly enjoyed giving them to me, and was giggling all over the place when she came up with the word "grumbly". Dunno what it means though. Don't worry, she wasn't giggling 'cos she was tipsy, she only gets one sip, but I'll make a brewer and beer judge out of her yet :beerbang:

Berp.

To be honest, PoMo, I wish there were more bad beers in the case.
Berp.
That would have to be the single most stupid idea that I have read on this forum!

Lets get 28 people together to make 630 odd litres of bad beer to sip twice and tip down the sink.

I thought this case was about sharing some of yer best with people in the spirit of the sport, not treating it as a university style beer deconstruction course where you sit down to 5 bottles of bad beer to identify whats gone wrong in each!

Whatda? :blink:

Brent

Berp.
That would have to be the single most stupid idea that I have read on this forum!

Lets get 28 people together to make 630 odd litres of bad beer to sip twice and tip down the sink.

I thought this case was about sharing some of yer best with people in the spirit of the sport, not treating it as a university style beer deconstruction course where you sit down to 5 bottles of bad beer to identify whats gone wrong in each!

Brent

I agree. Berp, what are you thinking? A cheap way around buying a taint kit? :D

Reminds me of the milk-tasting scene in Napoleon Dynamite:

"The fault in this one is bleach".
"This one tastes like the cow got into an onion patch".

Berp.

Brent

Sorry Borret, PoMo, I didn't mean every beer should be bad. Merely making the point that a bad beer is not a complete loss. It is possible to learn a lot from one - perhaps a lot more than from a good one. But I take your point that I am treating this as my own little beer judge seminar and maybe everyone doesn't want to read about that stuff.

Berp.

I want to read it Berp, I'm sure we all do. Just don't want to drink bad beer. Keep the reviews coming. Great way to learn, both the good and the bad. KUTGW.

Thommo.

Back