Nsw State Homebrewing Competition 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
congrats to the winners and well done Stu and guys for taking the beast by the horn and organising the event ,again.

I see that Grant Moss did marvelous well.
Onya Kabooby for plenty of placings and the win.

matti

Well done Kabooby.

Cheers, Hoges.

well done Stu and guys for taking the beast by the horn and organising the event

I think particularly to one of those guys, Phil (crozdog) who along with Stu ran the show. I lifts me lid, all twas good.

And thanks to all who brang some samples along, particularly Keith with plenty of lovelies from Potters on the Saturday.

Congratulation to Stuster, Crozdog, Trev and everyone involved in organising the event. It was well organised and ran smoothly.

A couple of heaters wouldn't have gone astray, and maybe 2 more bread rolls ;)

Kabooby :)

A big thank-you to everyone involved. I had a great weekend, and it was really good to meet so many of you, although I still have no idea which handles go with the faces. :) Stu and Phil did an incredible job pulling this together, especially given the short notice. A big round of applause BEER to you. :beer:

If anyone I judged has any feedback on my judging (be it good, bad or ugly), or questions about my comments/handwriting, I'd love to hear from you.

Martin.

Thanks to Stu, all the judges and those hard working stewards. Congrats for Doc and Barry. It was a great weekend, although no one warned me how much hard work judging was. Can't wait to get our results sheets back.

I'll put the recipe for our imperial IPA and our robust porter when I get a chance.

Shit yeah! Third place in Category 12!!! :)
Looking forward to recieving my tasting notes now!
Congrats Doc, and everyone else who entered.
Thanks to all who ran the comp.
Pete

Shit yeah! Third place in Category 12!!! :)

Well done Pete.
I take it that is the same beer (Belgian Pale Ale) I had of yours about 1-2 weeks ago ? It is a cracker.

Beers,
Doc

Well done Pete.
I take it that is the same beer (Belgian Pale Ale) I had of yours about 1-2 weeks ago ? It is a cracker.

Beers,
Doc
Thats the one!
Thanks to all on here who helped me with the recipe & convinced me to go liquid yeast over dry.
Castle Hill comp, here I come.

Doc,
I'm still trying to get the smell of your "grapefruit juice" 2IPA out of my nostrils and the spasm inducing bitterness off my tounge. Certainly a memeorable beer, but the Shwartz had me coming back for more- great beer, you got that recipe around?
Michael

Doc,
I'm still trying to get the smell of your "grapefruit juice" 2IPA out of my nostrils and the spasm inducing bitterness off my tounge. Certainly a memeorable beer, but the Shwartz had me coming back for more- great beer, you got that recipe around?
Michael

Hahahahah, yep, that is one hoppy mother of a beer. Just think though, it has aged and mellowed a bit :p
Will dig up the Schwarzbier recipe tonight and put in the RecipeDB.

Beers,
Doc

I have never tasted a beer quite like that Impy IPA, Doc. Basically like eating hop pellets. I never thought our Ruination clone would be so completely dominated in hop intensity, but ours (weighing in at a mild 154 IBU and 9% ABV) seemed like a lightweight. Apparently one of the judges suggested we should have entered it as a barleywine instead. Must have turned out maltier than we anticipated.

I have never tasted a beer quite like that Impy IPA, Doc. Basically like eating hop pellets. I never thought our Ruination clone would be so completely dominated in hop intensity, but ours (weighing in at a mild 154 IBU and 9% ABV) seemed like a lightweight. Apparently one of the judges suggested we should have entered it as a barleywine instead. Must have turned out maltier than we anticipated.

Hahahahah, I remember entering a beer at either the NSW Comp or Bathurst comp about 5 years back as an Imperial IPA, and when the judging sheets came back the comments were "Not hoppy enough", "Needs more hops", "Where is the Pain" etc. And I thought it was hoppy.
After many trips to the US I've now gone through the Lupulin Threshold Shift, and know what a real hoppy beer should taste like :p
That one had 180gr of dry hops (19 litres) !!

Doc

I can't believe it. I got 5th for my ESB. I'm wrapped!!

I was thinking I would be too embarrased to put something into a comp. (this was my first) .
Seems my brewing is not so bad afterall.

104.5 points. Only 7 points off first ! Wow....

I'll await eagerly the judging notes to see where I can improve and get that 1st next year.....

BOG

P.S. Thanks to Screwtop for the Beersmith assistance and the origional receipe. (now heavily modified..of course!)

Congrats to Barry. PS I note that the IIPA that we brewed was scored with a 15pt difference. Obviously kegging makes a difference.

P1

Congratulations to Stu and Phil for not only taking the baton and running with it but also scoring a gold for organisation. Had a great couple of days, still remember a few new names. Had a mouthfull of Doc's wonderful schwarzbier (thanks to the most generous Phil because it was very short supply) which was a most worthy BOS. Hope to see a few of the faces at Bathurst next Friday and Saturday (they are asking for judges), a really great weekend.
Korev, I should have added more hops, plus I will shout you a beer in Melbourne.

Let me second Barry's sentiments - running a competition (let alone a state-wide comp) is no mean feat, and if it hadn't been for these guys there may not have been a comp at all. Congratulations to Stuster and all who judged or helped on the organising group. I hope someone shouted Stuster at the end of the day!

And of course, congratulations Barry - we're looking forward to seeing you down here in sunny Melbourne!

Regards,

Andy

Some beer seemed to find it's way to me along the way, Andy. :D

Just to make it clear to those who didn't come along this weekend, it was very much a joint effort between me and Phil Crossley (crozdog) to get the comp off the ground. There is a heap of work involved in running it, but it was so much easier done together than it would have been otherwise. :beer:

And yep, that was some beer, Doc. We were wondering if there was more malt or hops in that recipe, by weight. :unsure: :super:

Congrats to Barry and Doc.

And a huge thanks to all the people involved. All that work! Not un-noticed!

Im happy with my result with the Old Ale. Still going strong in its 3rd year. I have kept the past 2 state comp score sheets to compare with this one. Will make great reading!. Only 5 bottles left and no more comp duty for them. They are destined for my tummy :) Not even AABC. I have entered more of this beer to comps in the last year and a half than i have drank. My turn!

The rest of my enteries..........after all the problems i have had im hapy with how that did. The stout and Porter were not to style as such...... mainly after feedback of flavours and nasties that may lurk that i cant pick up. Education material.

My Scottish 70/- was brewed with US-05 so probably too dry for style but once again....... want feedback to help impvove on a style i have never really tried comercially.

Cant wait for those score sheets!

cheers

Let me second Barry's sentiments - running a competition (let alone a state-wide comp) is no mean feat, and if it hadn't been for these guys there may not have been a comp at all. Congratulations to Stuster and all who judged or helped on the organising group. I hope someone shouted Stuster at the end of the day!

And of course, congratulations Barry - we're looking forward to seeing you down here in sunny Melbourne!

Regards,

Andy
andyd said:
Congratulations to Stuster and all who judged or helped on the organising group. I hope someone shouted Stuster at the end of the day!

I sure did, and a few samples of the Quadrupel Weizenbock to anyone interested as well.
The house beer to keep the guys motivated was very nice. Smiles all round.

Congrats to Barry and Doc.

And a huge thanks to all the people involved. All that work! Not un-noticed!

Im happy with my result with the Old Ale. Still going strong in its 3rd year. I have kept the past 2 state comp score sheets to compare with this one. Will make great reading!. Only 5 bottles left and no more comp duty for them. They are destined for my tummy :) Not even AABC. I have entered more of this beer to comps in the last year and a half than i have drank. My turn!

The rest of my enteries..........after all the problems i have had im hapy with how that did. The stout and Porter were not to style as such...... mainly after feedback of flavours and nasties that may lurk that i cant pick up. Education material.

My Scottish 70/- was brewed with US-05 so probably too dry for style but once again....... want feedback to help impvove on a style i have never really tried comercially.

Cant wait for those score sheets!

cheers

Not sure how many 70/- there were in the comp, but I picked up a bottle of 70/- after the comp and a few other randoms. May be able to give some feedback by pm or in a HAG thread.

I also tasted Doc's beer and thought it needed more malt to balance, but I'm sure it's hard to balance something that bitter. Happy to discuss my feedback sheets. Big job, judging strong ales. Big day, but that beer stood out like the proverbial dog's bits. A big beer, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about more than a pint. Then again, I was like that with my Ruination 2IPA. The style has grown on me. Now I have to warp through the Lupulin threshold shift and come out alive.

Les out :beerbang:

I'm almost ashamed to just be a contestant when so many guys gave up their time (over fathers day weekend) to judge and steward. Many thanks to those involved, particularly Stu & Phil for putting the comp together.

Congrats of course to Barry and Doc; we beginners can only aspire to be your nemesis in years to come :D

For me, I'm stoked to pick up 1st and 3rd in the Lucky Dip category 13. I'll post the Rye APA in the database tonight in case anyone's interested. It was also number '10' for those who sampled the NSW Xmas in July Case swap beer.

See you all in Melbourne for ANHC!

Latest posts

Back