Nsw State Homebrewing Competition 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

This will be my first competition and as a new AG brewer and I am mainly entering to get some feedback on my beers, and what I need to do to improve them.

Is there a link explaining the point system, possible score totals and what areas of the beer are judged etc etc.

It sounds like it would be a great event to attend but unfortunately I'm rostered on that weekend. Good luck to all.

Thnks
BJL

If they're using the BJCP score sheets the breakdown is 12 points for aroma, 3 for appearance, 20 for flavour, 5 for mouthfeel and 10 for overall impression/drinkability. 50 points total. In north america the judge's points are averaged; I've noticed that folks in your neck of the woods add them all together for totals out of 100 or 150 depending whether there are 2 or 3 judges.

More info on the BJCP website, here.

bjl, the scoring will be just as newguy says based on the BJCP judging. He's given a good run down of how that works. The styles we'll be using are in a file that I put in a pdf in the first post of this thread. There's more info available at the AABC on that. Link.

joshuahardie, I'm not a kegger but I do know that a number of brewers enter beers filled straight from the keg without adding more yeast/sugar. Hopefully, one of them will come by in a minute and let you in on the secret. If nobody does, there a. Great that you are entering. IMO the feedback is the best bit but you never know how you'll do until you enter. :D

Josh,
I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't done it successfully yet but I've picked Doc's brains a few weeks ago and he has a brumby tap (or picnic tap) that he uses, pressure turned right down low, kegs as cold as you can get them (2deg ish) and he puts the bottles steralised in the freezer for 30 minutes before he fills them. Something along those lines, without having actually tried it myself.

HTH, and hopefully someone can shed a bit more light.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've got my styles sorted, just wasn't sure about the points system.
Cheers
BJL

Josh,
I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't done it successfully yet but I've picked Doc's brains a few weeks ago and he has a brumby tap (or picnic tap) that he uses, pressure turned right down low, kegs as cold as you can get them (2deg ish) and he puts the bottles steralised in the freezer for 30 minutes before he fills them. Something along those lines, without having actually tried it myself.

HTH, and hopefully someone can shed a bit more light.

I follow a process like that, with a beer gun come counter pressure filler.

Standard tap to bottle works for me too. However I clean/sanitize my lines and taps first. I also pour a slow pint to balance the taps temperature with the beer and get the right speed of transfer. Also gives me something to drink! :rolleyes: Cap on the foam if possible(the less oxygen in the bottle the better). I also get a little loss of carbonation with this method, so I up the kegs carbonation prior to bottling.

She'll be right.

I have been using the same method.

It has been a bit hit and miss. The Stout I entered in a recent comp did not have any comments of low carb. A beer I entered recently in another comp got reports of low carbonation.

I dont really want to overcarb my kegs to fill a few bottles, then I would have to drink overcarbed beer untill it settled back down.

More practice for me

Kabooby :)

I've had naught but trouble bottling from kegs for comps. Low carb and the occasional infection. Now I bottle and prime a few samples out of the primary for comps and keg the rest. I've gone full circle with picnic taps, CP fillers and carbonation caps but now I'm back to what works for me.

Can anybody who's interested in judging/stewarding this competition let me know. I know a number of you who are planning to judge but it would just be good to have confirmation of who can come. PM me or preferably an email to [email protected].

Also, anybody who hasn't judged before but would like to give it a try, come along and steward for the day. It just means pouring out the beers for the judges but you also get the chance to hear what the judges say about the beers and of course try some of the beers. B)

Also, anybody who hasn't judged before but would like to give it a try, come along and steward for the day. It just means pouring out the beers for the judges but you also get the chance to hear what the judges say about the beers and of course try some of the beers. B)

And you get to taste the good ones :p
I'll be stewarding (if commitments and logistics align).

Doc

Good Day Stu ( tried to mail this to you but couldn't for some reason)
In case you didn't get my PM put me down for the two days. I will attempt to get other ESBers involved if needed. A couple of our experienced judges will be away at the time. So we are down on experince a bit.
Let me know if I can help in anyway before the comp starts.
All the best, Barry.

Good to hear it, Barry. Pretty sure I've got you down already. :)

I've had naught but trouble bottling from kegs for comps. Low carb and the occasional infection. Now I bottle and prime a few samples out of the primary for comps and keg the rest. I've gone full circle with picnic taps, CP fillers and carbonation caps but now I'm back to what works for me.

2 questions.

Can we enter 375ml bottles in the comp?

Whats the best way to bottle from my kegs? I have Cellis so before I have just turned them right down and filled slow. Should I add a little dextrose to the bottles to make up for carbonation loss?

Steve

Noob question here.
Which is style and which is category?
eg. 9. STRONG LAGER
9.2 Traditional Bock

Just trying to fill out the comp details correctly.

Noob question here.
Which is style and which is category?
eg. 9. STRONG LAGER
9.2 Traditional Bock

Just trying to fill out the comp details correctly.

Styles come under Category, so
Category = Strong Lager
Style = Trad Bock

Rgds,
Peter

SJW, we'd prefer 500ml bottles, but we'll accept 375ml bottles if that's all you have. The bigger bottles just ensure there's enough for the judging but if you only have smaller bottles then that will do. I have no idea about filling from kegs I'm afraid but I think there's some info higher up in the thread.

petesbrew, 9 is the category, 9.2 is the style. HTH. :)

Edit: Damn, too slow. Thanks Peter. :D

SJW, we'd prefer 500ml bottles, but we'll accept 375ml bottles if that's all you have. The bigger bottles just ensure there's enough for the judging but if you only have smaller bottles then that will do. I have no idea about filling from kegs I'm afraid but I think there's some info higher up in the thread.

petesbrew, 9 is the category, 9.2 is the style. HTH. :)

Edit: Damn, too slow. Thanks Peter. :D
Cheers Pete & cheers Stu...

couldn't find HTH in the abbreviations, so glad i have this translator site saved as a favourite.
http://smspup.com/smsSpeak.php

Had my very nice AG porter i was gonna enter as well, but seeing as I'm down to the last few bottles, I can't bear to share! Next time...

Stu,
From which we can take it you will also cope with 1 x 750ml longneck.

750ml is usually plenty anyway unless you were going to do a BOS round, but there is no indication from the above advice to SJW that that is what you want it for, so no need to waste the 2nd bottle.

Rgds,
Pete

Packed up my enteries this arvo

Will drop them off at MHB's shop tomorrow arvo.

And cross my fingers, wait paciently and have a home brew :)

Stu............ where is the prety picture on the flier?

cheers

Edit: Will there be a BOS round? I have packed 2 or each.

The comp kind of snuck up on me and i have 2 wheat beers and an APA in fermenters, 2 of them ready to bottle that wont make it in time. Life goes on.......... i will have to enjoy them myself. The Dunkelweizen is fantastic too :)

Latest posts

Back