Nsw State Homebrewing Competition 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stu............ where is the prety picture on the flier?

It's in the first pdf file in my first post, Tony. Should be able to see it at Mark's shop as well. Fame at last. :icon_cheers:

Ahhh yes there it is :)

not the fame im after though :rolleyes:

Good luck to all enterants and may the best beer win!!!!!!!!!

I cant wait for the judge feedback on my beers, especially after my 12 months of brewing hell.

cheers

Just a reminder that today is (officially) the last day for getting your entries to the many home brew shops who are kindly acting as drop off points. There is some flexibility with the dates this time due to the short notice so if you are having difficulty getting them there then let me know and we'll see what we can do. :D

Good luck to all as well. Somebody's going to be happy to win a free conference pass. :super:

A reminder that tomorrow is the last day for postal entries which means that if you haven't posted them, you're too late to post them now.....Doh. Anyway, hope you did post them in if you wanted to enter. (If anybody has forgot and still wants to enter, drop me a pm now.)

Also, last call for judges and stewards. In case you're undecided, there should be a few kegs of beer on hand for those who get thirsty after judging and there'll be a BBQ lunch as well. There may also be some sleeping space available for those from out of town (or even those who live nearby :party: ;) ).

I dropped mine off with MHB on thrusday last week.

fingers crossed

both that they get there and they do OK :)

cheers

I dropped mine off with MHB on thrusday last week.

fingers crossed

both that they get there and they do OK

Tony (and all the northerners), your beers did get here and are sitting quietly in a fridge in the hall minding their own business (or at least, I hope they are :rolleyes: ).

Just wanted to put out a last reminder to anybody who wants to come along and judge/steward on Saturday. Let me know if you do.

Good luck to all and may some of the BOS beer end up in my glass. :lol:

Tony (and all the northerners), your beers did get here and are sitting quietly in a fridge in the hall minding their own business (or at least, I hope they are :rolleyes: ).

Good news Stuster. Big thanks to MHB for arranging the transport. Much appreciated.

Oh Goody goody :)

Just hope the yeast settles out in time now.

Cant wait to get the feedback on my beers. I look forward to comp season for the education from score sheets.

Thanks mark! Very much appreciated!

Scott..... did you enter your Dunkel? That one might bring the title back to the hunter 3rd year running. bloody nice beer.

cheers and good luck all!

Nope. Entered it in the ISB German comp and it got caned. It picked up a yeasty vegetal type aroma. I tried a bottle after I got the results and it was exactly as the judges described. I'm hanging on to my last bottle for a while to see if it develops into a full blown infection. I was a little bummed, it was a cracking beer in the keg.

Scott..... did you enter your Dunkel? That one might bring the title back to the hunter 3rd year running. bloody nice beer.

It picked up a yeasty vegetal type aroma. I tried a bottle after I got the results and it was exactly as the judges described.

Hmmmmmmm, Interesting.

I entered a Dark Lager that crozdog and myself put together in that comp and it went down a very similar path. By the time it got to the comp it wasn't too bad but distinct cooked veggies which was pointed out by the judges. I thought them all a bunch of duds with no idea :blink: however I picked up the last bits of the keg heading the same way.
I only just got to cleaning the keg today, prolly about 3 months after the brew first going in. Whoa nelly, very strong veggies.

I wonder what specifically caused this type of infection?????

God knows what they will find in mine then :eek:

:rolleyes:

Is there a general schedule for the day. What time would we be finishing up and BBQing? .....Need to organise a lift home

Is there a general schedule for the day. What time would we be finishing up and BBQing? .....Need to organise a lift home

Well, 10am start. One flight before the BBQ which will make lunch around 12:30-1. Another flight after lunch would make it 3-4pm. I'm hoping we can squeak in three flights (perhaps unrealistically) for some judges and that'd make it more like 6pm for those with some stamina. We'll see how we go though.

Well, I'm probably dreaming about the third flight. More like 4-5pm finish in reality I guess. :(

Although on a day like today, what could be better than staying inside drinking in a beer scout hall. :D

Yeah not the nicest day out there for sure, though as you imply, it IS good weather for indoor activities :) I look forward to seeing everyone there, Cheerz Wabster

Ummm, Stu...the scout hall was a bit chilly alright.

Had a great weekend with the judges and stewards, as well as the guys with the tin soldiers today.

I really appreciate the care that was provided to me ...and the beer... Oh, the beer. This, however, is not the time or place to pre-empt the result. I enjoyed the last round of judging today and am happy to say that there wasn't much in it for the top few beers in all the flights I judged.

My email address is on all my feedback sheets, if you want to discuss, while the memories are still fresh.

Thanks again to Phil for the accom, company and conversation.

Les out :icon_cheers:

Well, the NSW comp is now done and dusted (at least except for all the paperwork :( ) so it's results time folks. :D

First, Best Brewer this year (for a change) went to Barry Cranston. This entitles Barry to the free pass to the National Conference thanks to the ANHC.

Second, Best Beer this year was won by Darren Robinson. Congratulations, Doc. And that entitles Doc to a day brewing at St Peter's Brewery with Matt Donelan. (I'll PM you with all the details soon, Doc.) There's also free entry to the AHA National Homebrew Competition in the USA as well.

Third, I'm attaching the full results to this post (and the first post). Let me know if there are any mistakes with names and so on. Score sheets will be sent off when the organisers' work and family allow them time to get to it (but will be soon). In two cases, there were ties in the scores and the placings were then decided based on the opinions of the judging panel.

Thanks go to the Country Brewer and Dave's Home Brew for their sponsorship of this competition. It's great that they're really helping to improve the standard of brewing here through the feedback people get from judges. Thanks also to the other home brew shops that acted as collection points and all the judges and stewards who did such a great job. Anyway, before I get all Oscars on you, I'll attach the results. :rolleyes:

Oh, and lastly, it'd be great if those who've done well at the comp could post their recipes in the database. There are a number of judges who'd be happy to see some of those recipes after tasting some great beers this weekend. And it's not only the beers that placed that were good. There were a great number of really excellent beers. :icon_cheers:

View attachment NSW_State_Competition_2008_Full_results.pdf

Well done Barry.
Was hoping to win that lucky ticket to the ANHC, but you have pipped me again :p
Normally I'd think that 3 1sts would cut it ......... :p
Look forward to buying you a beer at the AHB Sydney Pubcrawl next year :p

And a big thanks to the organisers, judges and stewards working well into Fathers Day weekend, and getting the results out so quickly. TOP DARTS.

Look forward to going head to head with you at Bathurst Barry :p

Beers,
Doc

congrats to the winners and well done Stu and guys for taking the beast by the horn and organising the event ,again.

I see that Grant Moss did marvelous well.
Onya Kabooby for plenty of placings and the win.

matti

Latest posts

Back