Nsw State Homebrewing Competition 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
This is to announce the NSW State Homebrewing Competition for this year will be held in Ashbury, Sydney on the 6th & 7th September. Entries should be received by Friday 22nd August at the drop off points or Friday 29th August by post. (This late date has been given due to the unfortunately late notice of this competition but it would be appreciated if entries could be in by the 22nd, if only to give them time to settle after transport.)

Full information for this year's competition is now available. Flyer information is here View attachment Comp_flyer_PC.pdf and the full competition terms and conditions along with the entry form and bottle labels is here View attachment NSW_State_Comp_flyer_new.pdf

Champion Brewer will get a free conference package to the AABC and the brewer of the Champion Beer will get the chance to brew with Matt Donelan at St.Peter's Brewery. We are pleased to announce the competition has been sponsored by Country Brewer and Dave's Home Brew, who will be providing prizes for winners and place getters.

The categories will follow the AABC guidelines which can be accessed down the page at AABC Org. Category information follows the categories and style guidelines here with full styleguides available here. Winners and place getters from this competition qualify for the National competition in Melbourne which will be run as part of the National Conference on 23rd October (see the ANHC banner at the top for full details on that).

Please contact me by PM or at [email protected] for more information if required.

I'd like to encourage everybody to enter. This competition is definitely not only for experienced brewers. For me, the best part of competitions is getting feedback on your beers and there will be a number of very good judges judging this year who can give you great information on your beers that should help you develop your beers. Good luck to all. :beer:

Full results are available here. View attachment NSW_State_Competition_2008_Full_results.pdf

Attachments

• NSW_State_Comp_flyer_new.pdf
    393.7 KB · Views: 134
Keep us posted with drop off points and entry forms when available.

Cheers,
Jarrad

Excellent news - well done guys

Peter

Excellent, can't say I'll be entering this year, but will sure be watching the process and outcomes with interest, Cheerz Wab

Great work Stuster,

And if anyone is wondering, yes the ANHC are giving a free conference package to the Champion Brewer for this event (in line with and under the same conditions as the other state competitions this year).

Get brewing NSW, and good luck!

Andy

WWWH,

I think the guys are busy rounding off the ISB comp(this coming weekend) before getting to involved with the State comp yet...Just get brewing and bottling and be ready to drop off your entries as soon as it comes to light

Brew well

Linz

Is there anymore info on this yet?
As per Stuster's original post, the date & venue have been set; The styles are as per the AABC. That should get you going.

FYI, we are currently in the process of sorting out prizes & drop off points as well as getting the ISB comp sorted as Linz mentioned.

What in particular you want to know?

happy brewing.

As per Stuster's original post, the date & venue have been set; The styles are as per the AABC. That should get you going.

FYI, we are currently in the process of sorting out prizes & drop off points as well as getting the ISB comp sorted as Linz mentioned.

What in particular you want to know?

happy brewing.

My bad, I didn't click on all of the links in the OP - :rolleyes:

Cheers guys

Just to let everyone know, I've updated the first post on this thread with all the information on this year's competition. The flyer and entry forms etc are all there.

Entries due by the 22nd at the drop off points or the 29th by post. Champion Brewer will get a free conference package to the AABC and the brewer of the Champion Beer will get the chance to brew with Matt Donelan at St.Peter's Brewery. We are pleased to announce the competition has been sponsored by Country Brewer and Dave's Home Brew, who will be providing prizes for winners and place getters.

Good luck to all. :icon_chickcheers:

Can anybody who's interested in judges drop me a PM or an email to [email protected]. We already have a number of names and I'm hoping for more so we can get this done quickly while giving people quality feedback on their beers. There may even be some places to stay for those out of town who are coming up (or down) for it. First in, best dressed of course. :D

Edit: Also for those who want to come along and see how a beer comp goes, we're also in need of stewards. A great job which can involve lots of tasting of the best beers of the show without having to do all the writing that judges have to do. :p

hey Stuster,
On page 2 it states 2 bottles, minimum 500ml, then on the label sheet (last page) it's 2 bottles, minumum 375ml.
Just wondering what's correct?
Pete

hey Stuster,
On page 2 it states 2 bottles, minimum 500ml, then on the label sheet (last page) it's 2 bottles, minumum 375ml.
Just wondering what's correct?
Pete

Hmm, good call. I've been in two minds about that. Minimum 500ml it is though to make sure we've got enough for the judges to do a proper evaluation. I have updated the pdfs in the first post. Thanks for picking it up. :beer:

And only one entry form to fill in............ great work!

Doing some mad brewing atm.

I have 3 beers fermenting and 2 more in cubes for the yeast cakes.

brewing again tomorrow night too :)

cheers

Two bottles per entry might bring mine to a 40 bottles. I better start labelling

Barry, you have been one of my main driving forces to brew better beer. Competing with you in competitions is always an interesting experience........ there is always the thought that......... Barry may enter a beer into my catagory :eek: better make it a good one!

and with 40 bottles on their way id say its a fair posibility.

your the one to beat as always mate.

Dont know what i will have to enter......... we will see closer to the date.

cheers

carpet_bomber.jpg

Good Day Tony
Most of the entries are for feedback and the rest are for feedback too. Quality always beats quantity in home brewing that is why we brew. I have always learnt far, far more from the average/bad beers that I have entered in good comps such as NSW and Bathurst than I have had from the better beers, great unbias feedback. So all new brewers out there enter your beers and get the best and cheapest evaluation that it is possible to get.
Tony, looking forward to taste some of your great beers. :beer:

100% agree mate!

I too learnt huge amounts from judging feedback sheets. You can then go back and taste the beer, reed the sheets and get a free education in how it should be and what is wrong, that you may not have noticed till its pointed out.

you can then fix it!

Thats what i did anyway and the beers just got better and better.

I have always found competing at a high level drives you to learn more and do better. I Used to be involved in competition shooting with the SSAA. The newcastle club at the time had some of the best shooters in the country and standing by them each saturday drove me to do better. They helped me and others learn, taught us tricks of the trade, and provided and endless source of motivation and inspiration. I just wanted to be as good as they were.

Ended up wining medals at Australian national competition level.

I have used similar values with my brewing. I started out like everyone, knowing nothing and built from there.

And then there was barry in the comps. I always wanted to do well in comps like you barry, and not just win a medal or 2, I still havnt achieved the goal of the consistancy of great beers you seem to produce every year.

Thats whay i call you the B52 :)

They land all over the comp and they are all just as good as the other!

I too recomend any new brewers to send their beers in.......... you will learn where your brewing lies in the grand scheeme of things and know how much work is needed to make it better! and in the end thats what i love about comps..........Its driven me to make better beer and that makes me and all who come to drink it the winners :)

cheers

Back