Nsw State And Castle Hill Comp 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long will the beer be given to settle?

I'm concerned that my packaging will have shaken up all the sediment.

Dave mentioned at drop off that the beer may not be collected for another week. Is that right or have all the drop offs got to their destination and the beer sitting in a fridge at temp?

Don't worry, BOG. Beers may not be at destination now but will not be disturbed by any rough treatment from now on. All beers will be gathered at the showground by Saturday and left to settle until the Friday before the comp when I will be putting them into fridges. Unfortunately the constant use of the fridges at the showground mean that we can't put the beers in there before that. However, last year this seemed to work well. I'd be very surprised if your beer is not really settled by the time of the comp.

jakub, what you've done will be fine. One bottle good, two bottles better. ;)

Hi,
On the topic of putting multiple entries of the same style into a competition.

If the entry sheet/ summary sheet is not returned with the judging sheets, then the correlation of feedback with beer entered can be difficult.
Difficulty increases the more similar the beers.

Peter

Hi,
On the topic of putting multiple entries of the same style into a competition.

If the entry sheet/ summary sheet is not returned with the judging sheets, then the correlation of feedback with beer entered can be difficult.
Difficulty increases the more similar the beers.

Peter
So two 18.7 specialty beers that are nothing like each other should be fine then?

Stu, do you know where exactly at the show ground the drop off is?... usual place where the judging takes place?

Stu, do you know where exactly at the show ground the drop off is?... usual place where the judging takes place?

Yep. We'll either by in the kitchen off the room where we judge, the room with the fridges. Or in the main show office which is also in that same building.

Hi Josh.......and Stu if you're tuned in,

That really depends on whether you can marry the feedback received with your own assessment of the beers.
Once again, it depends on what the organiser intends to do with the entry/ summary sheets.

THERE IS POTENTIALLY A BIGGER PROBLEM with not returning competition entry/ summary sheets.

Typically your entry will be assigned a number and this will be put on both bottle & entry/ summary sheet. If you do not get the entry/ summary sheets back, then you cannot verify that the feedback received is indeed for your beer. Without the entry / summary sheets being returned, the organiser is asking you to place a lot more trust in their process.

Of course nobody has indicated what is going to happen to the entry sheets at this stage. I am merely pointing out potential pitfalls for entrants if the organiser chooses not to return them. eg summary sheets were not returned for the recent ESB comp.

Peter

If I enter two beers of the same style I aways number them 1 and 2. When I get the score sheets back they are attached to the entry form with 1 or 2 on them. This way I can tell which is which. Hope this helps.

If I enter two beers of the same style I aways number them 1 and 2. When I get the score sheets back they are attached to the entry form with 1 or 2 on them. This way I can tell which is which. Hope this helps.

Hi Barry,
You missed my point.
I'm talking about what happens when you DON'T get the entry sheet back with the feedback.

Pete

I'm talking about what happens when you DON'T get the entry sheet back with the feedback.

Certainly something I've been thinking about since you pointed this out, Pete. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to make a copy of the entry sheet and put that back in with the judging sheets. A good double check for entrants and organisers. I think I'll give it a go this time and let's see if it's helpful. Thanks.

Just a reminder to anybody planning to enter some beers. Last chance to do that today at the Castle Hill showground. We'll be there receiving entries from 10 to 2. PM me if you need any more information than is in the flyer.

It's going to be a big one this year. Over 400 entries! We will need more judges and particularly stewards so if anybody would like to drink some beers, talk about them and get some lunch as well, then PM me. Should be a tough comp and good to see a wide range of entries.

BUMP

I helped Stu label entries on Saturday - we''' appreciate some help - so come on.... Free beer, free food & the opportunity to discuss a range of brews with like minded folk - how good is that!!

Croz

It's going to be a big one this year. Over 400 entries! We will need more judges and particularly stewards so if anybody would like to drink some beers, talk about them and get some lunch as well, then PM me. Should be a tough comp and good to see a wide range of entries.

I'm in for saturday for sure, the marathon on sunday may delay my arrival somewhat but I can steward if I'm too late?

I'm in (Lord forgive me!). Both days. Does anyone going live near BASS HILL ? Need to get back to Bass Hill Saturday fternoon and / or from Bass Hill to Castle Hill Sunday morning. Anyone help out ?

Stu, I hope you have Fatz sorted to judge in the appropriate categories (23 comes to mind).

Stu, I hope you have Fatz sorted to judge in the appropriate categories (23 comes to mind).

Oh, I have plans for him alright. I was thinking more of fruit beers to start with and then.... :ph34r:

Oh, I have plans for him alright. I was thinking more of fruit beers to start with and then.... :ph34r:

:icon_vomit:

Behind every silver lining lurks a black cloud. Scratch me from Saturday's judging .. again. As some know, my house has been sold and I've kicked my daughters out to make way for the new owners. Sadly one prodigal daughter is back in town this weekend to remove her items and steal half my remaining furniture, so I can't be in Sydney this Saturday at all. Rather I get the joy of loading up my car and trailer and driving to Canberra instead!

The Sunday judging session looks possible but given my luck, only a 50/50 chance at this stage. Sorry Stu. Leave a lighted candle in the window and you know if I can make it, I will make it on Sunday.

:beer:

No problem, Ian. Hope to see you Sunday. :icon_cheers:

400 ENTRIES! I was going to wish all the best to other entrants, but now pass those wishes onto the judges!

Back