2021 Hunter Homebrew Comp - 19th June 2021

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I thought it would make sense to send the prizes out with the scoresheets. I’m not worried about it really, I entered for the feedback and what I got back was gold. So that’s good enough for me.

mynameisrodney

Reaction score
They probably split it as prizes weren't sorted and they didn't want to delay getting people their feedback. That's perfectly fine by me. I was itching to get my sheets to read, happy to wait for prize (if any).

carrobrew

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
They probably split it as prizes weren't sorted and they didn't want to delay getting people their feedback. That's perfectly fine by me. I was itching to get my sheets to read, happy to wait for prize (if any).
The feedback was gold, a couple of things I suspected and a few I did not, will be able to implement changes quickly to improve my brewing.

DazGore

Reaction score
Totally agree with everybody regarding the scoresheets.

The feedback has really helped me improve my beers tenfold, even from where I was after last years competition to this years (5 points higher on average).

I think we all think our beers are the shit, we are biased, so feedback is great. Anytime I try to get feedback from my friends, they all just say nice things. I need criticism and unsolicited feedback in order to improve. Entering into competitions allows this.

Congrats to all that entered, and cheers to improving our beers to come.

This is such a great hobby/passion to have.

Daz

Half-baked

Reaction score
Last year’s prizes took a while to come out.

After a few weeks the organisers sent an email and arranged the physical prizes and gift cards.

Don’t forget everyone has a day job!

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I just had my prize pack hand delivered by Andrew. What a champion. It’s full of local Newcastle beers, malt, hops and yeast. I know nothing about this Vic Secret hop, though it says it’s AA is 18.7% which is impressive.

I’ve decided I’m going to make a beer that combines all my winning ingredients. That way I’ll probably end up brewing something I normally wouldn’t make.

carrobrew

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
I just had my prize pack hand delivered by Andrew. What a champion. It’s full of local Newcastle beers, malt, hops and yeast. I know nothing about this Vic Secret hop, though it says it’s AA is 18.7% which is impressive.

I’ve decided I’m going to make a beer that combines all my winning ingredients. That way I’ll probably end up brewing something I normally wouldn’t make.
Got my prizes today as well. Thanks for delivering Stas! I've heard vic secret is similar to galaxy but a bit different. More subtle?? Not sure though I haven't used. Keen to try mine in some brews.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
Got my prizes today as well. Thanks for delivering Stas! I've heard vic secret is similar to galaxy but a bit different. More subtle?? Not sure though I haven't used. Keen to try mine in some brews.
I just read up on Vic Secret. I think you’re pretty close. I don’t know if we all got the same stuff, but I can fit my ingredients into a NEIPA, so I might make that.

DazGore

Reaction score
Congrats to all the prize winners.

Andrew delivered mine today also.

I received some Pilsener malt, Galaxy hops, and a Saison liquid yeast amongst a few other goodies, so spent the afternoon writing a recipe for a Galaxy Saison.

Thanks to all the sponsors, judges, and organisers for an awesome competition. Thumbs up!

To those with Vic Secret, I find it pairs well with Idaho 7 and Galaxy.

Happy brewing
Daz

mynameisrodney

Reaction score
My prize pack arrived today. Thanks again to the organisers and sponsors! Was an awesome haul of stuff. And extremely well timed. I ordered ingredients for a stout last week and afterwards found out they were short 1kg of flaked barley. Opened up my box today and there's 1kg of flaked barley in there, unbelievable!