2021 Hunter Homebrew Comp - 19th June 2021

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it would make sense to send the prizes out with the scoresheets. I’m not worried about it really, I entered for the feedback and what I got back was gold. So that’s good enough for me.

They probably split it as prizes weren't sorted and they didn't want to delay getting people their feedback. That's perfectly fine by me. I was itching to get my sheets to read, happy to wait for prize (if any).

They probably split it as prizes weren't sorted and they didn't want to delay getting people their feedback. That's perfectly fine by me. I was itching to get my sheets to read, happy to wait for prize (if any).
The feedback was gold, a couple of things I suspected and a few I did not, will be able to implement changes quickly to improve my brewing.

Totally agree with everybody regarding the scoresheets.

The feedback has really helped me improve my beers tenfold, even from where I was after last years competition to this years (5 points higher on average).

I think we all think our beers are the shit, we are biased, so feedback is great. Anytime I try to get feedback from my friends, they all just say nice things. I need criticism and unsolicited feedback in order to improve. Entering into competitions allows this.

Congrats to all that entered, and cheers to improving our beers to come.

This is such a great hobby/passion to have.

Daz

Last year’s prizes took a while to come out.

After a few weeks the organisers sent an email and arranged the physical prizes and gift cards.

Don’t forget everyone has a day job!

I just had my prize pack hand delivered by Andrew. What a champion. It’s full of local Newcastle beers, malt, hops and yeast. I know nothing about this Vic Secret hop, though it says it’s AA is 18.7% which is impressive.

I’ve decided I’m going to make a beer that combines all my winning ingredients. That way I’ll probably end up brewing something I normally wouldn’t make.

I just had my prize pack hand delivered by Andrew. What a champion. It’s full of local Newcastle beers, malt, hops and yeast. I know nothing about this Vic Secret hop, though it says it’s AA is 18.7% which is impressive.

I’ve decided I’m going to make a beer that combines all my winning ingredients. That way I’ll probably end up brewing something I normally wouldn’t make.
Got my prizes today as well. Thanks for delivering Stas! I've heard vic secret is similar to galaxy but a bit different. More subtle?? Not sure though I haven't used. Keen to try mine in some brews.

Got my prizes today as well. Thanks for delivering Stas! I've heard vic secret is similar to galaxy but a bit different. More subtle?? Not sure though I haven't used. Keen to try mine in some brews.
I just read up on Vic Secret. I think you’re pretty close. I don’t know if we all got the same stuff, but I can fit my ingredients into a NEIPA, so I might make that.

Congrats to all the prize winners.

Andrew delivered mine today also.

I received some Pilsener malt, Galaxy hops, and a Saison liquid yeast amongst a few other goodies, so spent the afternoon writing a recipe for a Galaxy Saison.

Thanks to all the sponsors, judges, and organisers for an awesome competition. Thumbs up!

To those with Vic Secret, I find it pairs well with Idaho 7 and Galaxy.

Happy brewing
Daz

My prize pack arrived today. Thanks again to the organisers and sponsors! Was an awesome haul of stuff. And extremely well timed. I ordered ingredients for a stout last week and afterwards found out they were short 1kg of flaked barley. Opened up my box today and there's 1kg of flaked barley in there, unbelievable!

What went into the placing, was it just the scores in the "Total" column or were their other factors?
Hi Carrobrew,
Apologies for the very very late response to your query.
There are other factors at play when determining the 1st, 2nd & 3rd placings, where the entries in a particular Category (Ale, Lager, etc) are divided up and judged by 2 seperate panels of judges a mini best-in-show is held where the top 2-3 beers from each panel are brought together and ranked against each other, this is to compensate for any discrepency (however minor) in the scoring level between the jusging panels, this quite often results in a beer being awarded a 1st that might have a lower score than the 2nd and 3rd placings.
A test calibration beer is scored by all judges before actual judging begins, based on the consensus score for this calibration beer judges can gauge whether they are scoring too harshly or too leniently.

Back