Nsw Special Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
29. Monkeybusiness - RIS - 9.6%

Thought I should try one of the RIS on a cold wet night. I meant to pick Jasons but got this one instead.

Black. Small light tan head that dies back to a thin film. While still quite cold, aroma is quit caramelly, a touch of roast, some yeasty phenolics. Flavour dominated by the roast, caramel again with a lovely raisin/muscat/dark fruit thing going on. Full body, well bittered, smooooth. Fantastic. Thanks MB.

cheers
Andrew.

40. Syd_03 - RIS

Pours black with a big fluffy dark tan head. Aroma of roast malts, spicy fruit from the yeast. Flavour is dominated by intense smokey roast, some fruit from the yeast with a bit of sweetness at the end. Full body, assertive bitterness, roast astringency is a touch abrasive atm, good carb, alc well hidden. Nice beer, Jason. I think it needs bit more time, it has the intensity to be excellent when everything rounds out. I will try the next one in a few months and save the last one for next year. Thanks Jason.

Cheers

Andrew.

13. nifty - Some sort of IPA

Deep orange. Clear. Small head. Sweet fruity estery, malty nose. Earthy hops.

Bitter with lingering bitterness. Has a graniness to it. Floral earthy hop character. Maltiness comes through as I become accustomed to the bitterness. Biscuity. Hint of roast. Medium body. Medium dry finish.

Overall a big english IPA, with great complexity. Really enjoyed this one.

Cheers

7. Monkeybusiness - English IPA

Clear copper, with dense white head. Malt sweet nose, with caramel notes. Earthy hops.

Medium carb, medium body. Bitter. Graininess to the beer. Slightly fruity. Clean. Crystal, caramel notes.

A lovely beer. Easy drinking and quite sessionable. Would love to see how this would go through a hand pump. Top work.

Cheers

10. Josh - Imperial IPA

Small white head. Copper colour. Lovely aroma. Fruity. Passion fruit. I could sniff this all day.

Sweet upfront. Clearing to reveal a lingering bitterness. Delicious hoppy goodness. Low carb. Medium light body. Finishes medium dry. Fruitiness from the hops passionfruit following with stone fruits. Ultra smooth. Extremely moreish.

This is a most awesome beer. Excellent work. Please send crateful at once.

Cheers

10. Josh - Imperial IPA

Small white head. Copper colour. Lovely aroma. Fruity. Passion fruit. I could sniff this all day.

Sweet upfront. Clearing to reveal a lingering bitterness. Delicious hoppy goodness. Low carb. Medium light body. Finishes medium dry. Fruitiness from the hops passionfruit following with stone fruits. Ultra smooth. Extremely moreish.

This is a most awesome beer. Excellent work. Please send crateful at once.

Cheers

I sent this beer to the NHC. Scored a 30.5. The underlying comment was not enough hops for an Imperial IPA. Not enough bitterness. There were some minor flaws in the beer, but basically, it wasn't hoppy enough to score highly in the US NHC....

3 more bottles for me to drink :icon_chickcheers:

I sent this beer to the NHC. Scored a 30.5. The underlying comment was not enough hops for an Imperial IPA. Not enough bitterness. There were some minor flaws in the beer, but basically, it wasn't hoppy enough to score highly in the US NHC....

3 more bottles for me to drink :icon_chickcheers:

Thats pretty scary. I thought it plenty hoppy enough. They must get some extreme beers.

Cheers
Andrew.

I have been very slack with note taking on the strong beers, just can't read my garbled writing and begin to make sense of what I was trying to say.

One thing I can say for sure that they have been going down very well.

Two recently sampled were CtK's father's falling over fluid, and Joshs Export stout. Both were lovely. Cheers Guys

grant

I had Muggus' Stout this afternoon. Didn't feel overly strong or alcoholic...but snuck up on me towards the end in a big way. Very enjoyable mate. Well done. Quite smooth for a big beer.

Cheers,
Thommo.

21. Monkeybusiness - Belgian strong 9.5%

Pours a dark copper. With a organge/tan head which quickly dissipates. Lovely Belgian nose. Spicy, sweet, dark stone fruit phenolics.

Flavour peppery, sweet upfront, viscous. Low carb, medium dry finish. Great complexity. Decent bitterness coming from yeast. Lots of overripe stone fruits.

This beer is most awesome. A very approachable big beer, with great complexity and very well hidden alcohol. Top work!

Cheers

19. Retsamhsam - Doppelbock 10.5%

Pours near black. Small head. Vegemite aroma.

Vegemite continues in flavour. Smooth. Alcohol warming. Spicy peppery.

My bottle doesn't seem to line up with other reviews. I'll put the other stubbie in the fridge.

Cheers

17. DiscoStu - Belgian Dubbel - WLP500 - 7.3% bottled 13Mar10 - give it a few weeks

Not great at describing the Belgians. Looks great in the glass, deep copper, little head.

Drinking really nicely. I was watching Then There Were None which I've IQ'd from last week. But finding it hard to concentrate now. So I've flicked to the Tour of Italy. Makes me think back to Europe '09 and how much fun I had. And this beer is taking me back to the few Belgians I had in Brussels and Bruges . Really well made beer Stu. Thank you.

25. Bizier - Belgian Blonde Ale ~6% A week in the fridge

Effervescent, golden, thick white head.

Lots of pear. Really tasty. Thanks for this one Dan. Really enjoying it.

The Liquigas team have 4 of the top 16 riders in the Giro. Evans on his own once again in a grand tour.

I had Muggus' RIS, the black warrior last night. Fabulous beer, so smooth and so lethal. I ran out of consciousness half way through the second glass.

Thanks Muggus (I think)

I had Muggus' RIS, the black warrior last night. Fabulous beer, so smooth and so lethal. I ran out of consciousness half way through the second glass.

Thanks Muggus (I think)
Haha thanks for the comments Thommo and Grant (I think).

I get the impression this beer may be a bit bigger than the 7.1% alcohol I worked it out to be; certainly used enough bloody malt to make it!
Might have to take a sample to the lab and see what they reckon...

I have a bottle with BDS 2109 on the cap. Can't find a description on the wiki so it could possibly be a side swap? Anyone know, I need to choose temp and glass. Pedant that I am

cheers

grant

And Muggus, I was tempted to finish off the remaining half glass when I woke up this morning and stumbled from my bed - such were the compelling aromas. No way its 7% though.

Well, Gav's BDS has 1209 on the cap. Have you been drinking? Or was Gav when he was bottling? :D

And really not sure a lager qualifies as a BDS but definitely looking forward to that one anyway.

Well, Gav's BDS has 1209 on the cap. Have you been drinking? Or was Gav when he was bottling? :D

And really not sure a lager qualifies as a BDS but definitely looking forward to that one anyway.

I'm a bit lysdexic perhaps.

15. Fatgodzilla - A kind of belgian strong ale with golden sryup instead of the candy not to style but tasting fine.-

Enjoying this beer watching the lead up to the SOO. No tasting notes, but it's pretty enjoyable FGZ.

Monthly Beer Club beers for the rest of the night. Go the Blues!

5. Retsamhsam - AIIPA

Pours a light copper. With a white fluffy head. Big hoppy fruity nose. With a delicious caramel in support.

Lots of grapefruit, pine. Medium carb. High bitterness. Finishes medium dry. Has a malty chewiness to it. Very refreshing and disappearing too quickly. Alcohol hidden very well.

This is a highly drinkable and tasty IIPA. Great work!

Back