Nsw Special Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
17. DiscoStu - Belgian Dubbel

Pours coppery with an off white head. Nice phenolics in the aroma. Spicy. Some pear and clove.

Flavour follows same. Medium carb. Finishes dry. Very easy drinking. Some sweet caramel notes at the end.

Very refreshing dubbel. Nice belgian goodness. Enjoyed this beer.

Cheers

38. Gulpa - Old Ale

Pours copper into a straight pint. Small off white head. Big malty nose with caramel toffee sweetness. Earthy floral hops in support.

Big body to the beer. Lots of sweetness. Low carb. Flavour is predominantly malt driven. With some toffee/caramel and dried fruits.

This is a big rich beer, would be lovely next to a fire on a cool night.

Cheers

38. Gulpa - Old Ale

Pours copper into a straight pint. Small off white head. Big malty nose with caramel toffee sweetness. Earthy floral hops in support.

Big body to the beer. Lots of sweetness. Low carb. Flavour is predominantly malt driven. With some toffee/caramel and dried fruits.

Cheers

Thanks for the notes, Gino. Too sweet imho which is kind of strange as I used bugger all crystal and low mash temp.

cheers
Andrew.

Beer: 42. Retsamhsam English Barley Wine
Date: 1st June 2010
Details: 750ml bottle red cap 42/BW, 11.1%, 11th March 2010
Sampling Notes:
Served at room temperature in a pint glass.

Nice deep copper-gold body, alluding to viscous malt content. A beige heads sits atop, pretty much alluding to the same thing!

Certainly smells like a barley wine with that distinctive rich caramelised malt presence; almost Madeira-like. Notes of raisin and date, with pineapple (?) and dried herb-like hops.

Thick, chewy, sticky, glycerol-like body with good length, alluding to high alcohol but certainly well masked. Very smooth low carbonation, nice on the way down.

Luscious palate of flavour; golden syrup, pinesap and pineapple, toast, orange marmalade, hint of sourdough bread with a highly bittered finish. Lingering hop resin and, disturbingly, no sign of that huge abv!

Top notch brew Damo! Distinctly a British style barley wine, drinking very nicly now but should be well preserved for a few years with the high bitterness and residual sugar.

And the last beer of the swap. I feel a bit emotional now, it's been such a journey... :wub:

Beer: 37. Josh Foreign Stout
Date: 1st June 2010
Details: 750ml bottle gold cap 37
Sampling Notes:
Served lightly chilled in a pint glass.

Rocky tan head sits proudly atop an oily black body.

The aroma doesnt give much away; some cocoa, dark grain bread and dusty, spicy earthiness.

Carbonation is quite lively. Full bodied beer with a slightly oily, creamy texture.

Lots of lovely sweet cocoa flavours on the body. Notes of bread, nutmeg and cinnamon spice in there. Finishes dry, moderately bitter.

Straight to the point, very drinkable dark ale. Might be a bit tame in comparison to the other stouts in this swap, but nicely flavoured and well crafted nonetheless. Cheers Josh.

37. Josh - Foreign Extra Stout

Thought I should write some more notes. This final case has been slipping down too easily. Ive had a couple of attempts with Rets' barleywine but by the time I finish Im too tired to do justice :icon_cheers: .

Pours black with a big fluffy dark tan head. Aroma of coffee, toffee/candy, nice fruit esters from the yeast with some cream. Flavour is roast coffee, with some dark fruits. Creamy. Quite sweet on the finish. No sign of the alcohol. Medium full body. Well bittered. Balanced. Long finish. Delicious beer, thanks Josh.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Well, if there are any surviving bottles of my tripel out there, it is now ready to drink. Make sure you unsettle the yeast before pouring.

I have just enjoyed the 4th last bottle and the delicate flavours of the unibroue yeast are now coming through, it's actually quite fin de mondish if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Grant

Well, if there are any surviving bottles of my tripel out there, it is now ready to drink. Make sure you unsettle the yeast before pouring.

I have just enjoyed the 4th last bottle and the delicate flavours of the unibroue yeast are now coming through, it's actually quite fin de mondish if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Grant

Bugger, it tasted nice back in May, wish I had hung on to it.

With all this rain, I've been getting through a few of these bottles.

38. Gulpa - Old Ale

Cheers

Thanks for the notes, Gino. Too sweet imho which is kind of strange as I used bugger all crystal and low mash temp.

cheers
Andrew.

38. Gulpa - Old Ale
Go along with the comments above. The sweetness is still there, but there's a pleasant age to it. Not a lot of hop around now, but it's 2:16am and I'm looking for dessert, not a bunch of bitterness.

Looking forward to finishing this case. There's been some really nice beers in the last few days.

40. Syd_03
42. Retsamhsam - English Barley Wine 11.1%, Bottled on the 11th March.

I enjoyed these two tonioght also. Jason's Imperial Stout was really good. Little highly carbonated and seemed a little thin. But it was still big and roasty and enjoyable.

Rets' BW was delicious. Smooth and big and the flavours have combined really well. Loving the colour in the glass. The bubbles are super slow pushing through the viscous liquid too. Thanks Rets.

31. Cortez The Killer - Father's Falling Over Fluid - American Barley Wine - ~7.7% - Ready - http://hyperfox.info/allgrain01.htm#70

Drinking this right now. Man I love the big beers when the hop flavour can hang arounsd.. The other beers tonigth were big and smooth and delicious. But adding the American style hops as well, man its nice.

I need to make an American Barleywine like this, to drink next Winter.

40. Syd_03
42. Retsamhsam - English Barley Wine 11.1%, Bottled on the 11th March.

I enjoyed these two tonioght also. Jason's Imperial Stout was really good. Little highly carbonated and seemed a little thin. But it was still big and roasty and enjoyable.

Rets' BW was delicious. Smooth and big and the flavours have combined really well. Loving the colour in the glass. The bubbles are super slow pushing through the viscous liquid too. Thanks Rets.

Thanks mate.. I also enjoyed one of mine the other night, i'm pretty happy with how it is coming along. I only have about 8 left hopefully they make it past this winter.. :drinks:

With all this rain, I've been getting through a few of these bottles.

cheers
Andrew.

38. Gulpa - Old Ale
Go along with the comments above. The sweetness is still there, but there's a pleasant age to it. Not a lot of hop around now, but it's 2:16am and I'm looking for dessert, not a bunch of bitterness.

Looking forward to finishing this case. There's been some really nice beers in the last few days.

Thanks for the notes, Josh. Ive still got a couple bottles left so I may pull one out. Most of the remainder of the batch went back into the fermentor with some Brett. Even with the brett its still a bit sweet :unsure: .

cheers
Andrew.

Back