Nsw Amateur Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we should bring it back to Sydney. Stu runs a good comp with very few complaints about it.
Yes the hub boys did better than the previous attempt but I believe there are still prize winners waiting to receive their prize. Also Friday/Saturday doesn't work for those that have jobs. It means you have to take a day off the there is an early start to get up there from Sydney.
Ether way lets get this sorted soon so we can all start brewing.

For Stu's sake, let's hold it in Newcastle again! :p Sometimes holding an event second time around is easier as you've worked out the teething problems from the first time!

Either way, yes, whoever decides, please do so soon! Either way, it will be a well run event. If available, I'll be there (be afraid, be very afraid)

We've got our Annual General Meeting for HUB next Friday.
It will be discussed and i'll personally make sure everyone is kept up to date with the details.
Certainly planning a date is the most important thing at this point in time. Once we've got that, everything else should easily fall into place.

I thought last years comp was fantastic.

I am happy to help wherever it goes.

Fear

Last year HUB ran a well organised comp, the feedback from the judges was excellent and the posting of results by Schooey was incredibly quick, which is fantastic. I was one of the first people to extend my sincere gratitude to Schooey and the other organisers of the comp on the NSW comp results thread. The glasses that I received for first place were excellent and take a proud place in the brewery.

Only first place received a prize and 2nd and 3rd certificates. That in itself is not an issue but what concerns me is that I was told by Schooey on this forum that those who placed first in each cat would be receiving vouchers to the tune of about $50 a win. So far there has not been any sign of these vouchers. When I made enquiries about the progress of receiving them, I hit a bit of a wall. I havent seen Schooey on this forum since September and the president of HUB did tell me he would look into it but I havent heard anything back since Feb. I know he hasnt been well lately and in all fairness perhaps someone else from HUB could have chased it up?

Its not the fact that the vouchers never came that is the problem, its that there was never any communication as to why. If there was perhaps an issue with sponsorship and prizes could not be finalised, then share this info. Some of you may see this as a whinge and thats your opinion, however when you shell out $130+ in entry and courier fees and someone tells you that you will be receiving $100 in vouchers, then its a very welcome bonus. Perhaps those from HUB could discuss this at their AGM next Friday and provide an answer?

Yes the hub boys did better than the previous attempt but I believe there are still prize winners waiting to receive their prize.

I suppose a good thing about HUB hosting the event again is that we get two comps instead of one, being that the Castle Hill homebrew comp will run regardless of whether it's the nationals qualifier or not. :beer:

Last year HUB ran a well organised comp, the feedback from the judges was excellent and the posting of results by Schooey was incredibly quick, which is fantastic. I was one of the first people to extend my sincere gratitude to Schooey and the other organisers of the comp on the NSW comp results thread. The glasses that I received for first place were excellent and take a proud place in the brewery.

Only first place received a prize and 2nd and 3rd certificates. That in itself is not an issue but what concerns me is that I was told by Schooey on this forum that those who placed first in each cat would be receiving vouchers to the tune of about $50 a win. So far there has not been any sign of these vouchers. When I made enquiries about the progress of receiving them, I hit a bit of a wall. I havent seen Schooey on this forum since September and the president of HUB did tell me he would look into it but I havent heard anything back since Feb. I know he hasnt been well lately and in all fairness perhaps someone else from HUB could have chased it up?

Its not the fact that the vouchers never came that is the problem, its that there was never any communication as to why. If there was perhaps an issue with sponsorship and prizes could not be finalised, then share this info. Some of you may see this as a whinge and thats your opinion, however when you shell out $130+ in entry and courier fees and someone tells you that you will be receiving $100 in vouchers, then its a very welcome bonus. Perhaps those from HUB could discuss this at their AGM next Friday and provide an answer?
Thanks for the feedback Matt
It certainly will be discussed at the meeting.
The absence of Schooey for several months from all HUB activities due to work commitments did make a few of things difficult, which is something we will address.
Needless to say, an informed decision will be reached in the meeting.

bump. Sorry to be naggy, but just wondering if a plan has been formulated yet?!

bump. Sorry to be naggy, but just wondering if a plan has been formulated yet?!
The HUB meeting was held and I don't think I'm out of place to state that we plan to run the NSW State comp.

As for the outstanding prizes, I will bring it up again.

Les (one of your NSW State AABA reps, and proud HUB member)

The HUB meeting was held and I don't think I'm out of place to state that we plan to run the NSW State comp.

As for the outstanding prizes, I will bring it up again.

Les (one of your NSW State AABA reps, and proud HUB member)

Good stuff comrade!

Good stuff comrade!

Indeed .....

At the HUB meeting last Friday night the commitment and availability of the people needed to run the comp was confirmed.

The next task was to confirm the venue availability etc before any 'official' announcement could be made.

Thanks
David

Indeed .....

At the HUB meeting last Friday night the commitment and availability of the people needed to run the comp was confirmed.

The next task was to confirm the venue availability etc before any 'official' announcement could be made.

Thanks
David
I've contact Keith a Potters Brewery in regards to hosting something similar to last years comp at the Brewery up there in the Hunter Valley.
The tentative dates we've set are the 17th, 18th & 19th of August, which is a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...like last year.
Any earlier will be pushing it, as will any later, particularly with other beer festivals(?) and Fathers days residing on weekends after.
Waiting to hear back from Keith with regards to availability of Function Room, and cut price accommodation for out-of-town judges.

If Potters is not available, our other option is Hamilton North Bowls club, where we host our Monthly Meetings.
Whilst not being as glamorous a location at Potters and the Valley, and lacking accommodation, we're guarenteed to be looked after there, and they're happy to cater for lunch and whatnot...the food is good there too!

As far as outstanding prizes go, as far as I know that was dealt with...?
Schooey did have a fair bit to do with that part (and the rest) of the comp last year, and unfortunately has been very busy with work and family commitments pretty much since the finish of the State Comp last year, and has been difficult to make contact with.
Not 100%, but Geoff would be the one to talk to about that...he'd know more than me.

Either way, i'm very tempted to put my foot down for that date...regardless if Potters is available. I'll keep plugging away at it, and make a definitive decision by tommorrow afternoon.
If anyone has any reason to pick another date, please chime in ASAP....

Cheers
Michael
HUB Committee

Just to update....

Potters is available on those dates. So the wheels are now officially in motion for the running of the State Comp.
I'll update details as I get them, but this is a confirmation.

Cheers
Michael

The tentative dates we've set are the 17th, 18th & 19th of August, which is a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...like last year.

Thanks for picking up the ball and running with this guys.
FYI this is the same weekend as Beervana in NZ so I wont be able to steward. I was hoping to come along and assist.

Maybe next year.

Cheers,

Brendan

Great news.
Now we can all get some sleep.
(a Clayton's joke. :D)

Thanks for picking up the ball and running with this guys.
FYI this is the same weekend as Beervana in NZ so I wont be able to steward. I was hoping to come along and assist.

Maybe next year.

Cheers,

Brendan
Sorry to hear about that Brendan. Certainly the more the merrier when it comes to stewards and judges is appreciated.
Hopefully not too many people will be heading over for that....ps have fun!

Just to update....

Potters is available on those dates. So the wheels are now officially in motion for the running of the State Comp.
I'll update details as I get them, but this is a confirmation.

Cheers
Michael

Nice work. Good to have a date to plan for!

Nice work. Good to have a date to plan for!
It would have been ideal to provided a firm date earlier, but conflicting schedules around people with work and other commitments.

Needless to say, apologies to anyone wanting to brew a proper Lager for the comp at this point in time.... :ph34r:

No drama, I imagine most people would have been anticipating the comp to be around august, and would have planned ahead accordingly anyway? That said, i just started my lager 2 days ago so will be interested to see how it goes!

Latest posts

Back