Nsw Amateur Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure, ST, but it won't be until at least Sunday arvo/mondayish, so I suggest unless you want to go dry between now and then, you go support your local micro of choice...;)

Ah that's fine, the entry to Castle Hill doesn't close off until the following weekend.

Cheers mate.

No worries, they will be out before entries close for the Castle Hill comp.

Well the judging starts tomorrow, I just thought I would share a picture of the BOS prize.
IMG_6232.JPG
Thanks to Murrays for filling the bottle all 6000 mL or 36 standard drinks worth of it with Icon2 I hope whoever wins it appreciates the beer.
Thanks also to the other sponsors, Bitter and Twisted, Potters (the Hunter Brewing Company) who are providing the venue, we in the Hunter are blessed with two great micros who have been and remain great supporters of the local home brewing community.
May all the beers get the score they deserve.
MHB

Wow! What a great prize! Good luck to those who entered!

Well the judging starts tomorrow, I just thought I would share a picture of the BOS prize.
View attachment 47846
Thanks to Murrays for filling the bottle all 6000 mL or 36 standard drinks worth of it with Icon2 I hope whoever wins it appreciates the beer.
Thanks also to the other sponsors, Bitter and Twisted, Potters (the Hunter Brewing Company) who are providing the venue, we in the Hunter are blessed with two great micros who have been and remain great supporters of the local home brewing community.
MHB
Looking great Mark!
BOS winner certainly won't go thirsty for a while! :chug:

I assume B.O.S means 'Beer of Stewart'? I should be a shoe in for that one!

If its 'Beer of Show' I have very little chance with my 3 K&B entries. Oh well, I am still looking forward to the feedback.

Thanks to all organisers, stewards etc for running the comp

Stew

Wow! What a great prize! Good luck to those who entered!

Good luck to those who entered two bottles per style :rolleyes: I still don't understand how previous comps can run a BOS flight from 1 x 750mL bottle but the 2011 state comp can't. It has been a regular topic of confusion in off-line conversations amongst entrants. I'll be very interested to see if a one-bottle entry bags it, or if a two-bottler scores the accolade, thus setting a precedent for all future comps.

+100 for Murrays ! Shame that gargantuan bottle (known as a Methuselah if I'm not mistaken) doesn't have a perlick drilled into the side !

Good luck to all, and cheers to the volunteers that help make this event happen.

I assume B.O.S means 'Beer of Stewart'? I should be a shoe in for that one!
Wait for the 'Wine of Wogs" competition for a same-name advantage :huh:

Looking at that bottle label, I thought is was 'Belonging of Silo" :lol: :lol: :lol:

While I rate Murray's as one of my top five Aussie micro's, wouldnt it have been cool if Potters filled the Methuselah BOS prize, as we could refer to it as "Brewed on Site"

If its 'Beer of Show' I have very little chance with my 3 K&B entries. Oh well, I am still looking forward to the feedback.
Mate it's all good - I'm sure a K & B could possibly take out a ribbon, in fact I'm sure I read that it happened once. No-one's judging you on the method, only the end product. And yes, the feedback is interesting, and worth the entry fee.

View attachment 47846
MHB
WOW! :blink: :beer:

If you're heading to help with the Competition today, I will see you there.

It's going to be a great weekend for homebrew.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the best beer/result from the Hunter United Brewers will get a special prize too, so stay tuned for that.

Les the Weizguy out

Mate it's all good - I'm sure a K & B could possibly take out a ribbon, in fact I'm sure I read that it happened once. No-one's judging you on the method, only the end product. And yes, the feedback is interesting, and worth the entry fee.

If you look up the results from some of the past NSW comps they indicate the method of brewing. A number of places are usually taken out by kit beers, generally in the low alcohol and pale lager categories.

Try this link here.

Best of luck to all my brewing brethren, expecially the ESB fellas. Big cheer to all those gents who gave up their time to drink the best beer in NSW.

Wit

Any word about the 2012 NSW Amateur Brewing Competition?

We're (HUB) happy to put our hands up to host again.
Not sure if anyone else has put their hand up, but it's been discussed and we'd probably do something similiar to last years comp - at Potters Friday/Saturday etc.

Also happy to have it along with the Castle Hill Show again this year.

(Can't believe I just said that. Doh) :huh:

Well count me in regardless where it is. Will help in anyway possible.

The HUB guys seemed to do a great job last time.

Either way, it would be nice to sort out some dates to help plan brews. I'm sure there's people unaffiliated with either club that would be happy to help out (like me) if there was enough notice to arrange the weekend off work.

Also, if the comp is held at the Castle Hill show, would the categories/styles be as per the AABC, or condensed into a smaller number of categories like last years Castle Hill Show? I assume it would have to be run as per the AABC to allow for the proper qualifying procedure for Octobers AABC, but just wanted to be sure.

The timing of last years HUB-run comp was great, in my opinion. From memory, i think there was 6 weeks between that comp & the AABC, giving (just) adequate time to re-brew any (smaller!) beers that qualified. Some other states didn't have this, i think, so might be nice to keep in mind to give NSW brewers the best chance of doing well at the nationals.

Mikk

I am concerned that time is running out and a decision re time and place neeeds to be made very soon. Even organising the relatively small ESB comp takes significant lead time. :icon_cheers:

I think we should bring it back to Sydney. Stu runs a good comp with very few complaints about it.
Yes the hub boys did better than the previous attempt but I believe there are still prize winners waiting to receive their prize. Also Friday/Saturday doesn't work for those that have jobs. It means you have to take a day off the there is an early start to get up there from Sydney.
Ether way lets get this sorted soon so we can all start brewing.

Back