Nsw Amateur Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ok then. I just hope we don't enter the same style of beer, because if the fates conspire and there's a huge rubber band failure, we'll have identical codes.
the id number is what they put on your bottle once they receive it. so leave it blank

HUB

Can someone reply to my emails.

Im happy to come and help steward but if Im going to take a day off work for it I need some details such as times and if there are any accomodation arrangements as I will be coming from Sydney.

I have sent emails last week to the HUB email listed and PM some people from this thread but no response.......

Cheers

Ben
PM Sent
Sorry about the wait Ben!

the id number is what they put on your bottle once they receive it. so leave it blank
Ah hah! It seems my confusion stems from the fact that it doesn't say "Organiser use only" in that box.

Now for your bonus round... what is the "Class" and "Class Description" on the labels?

class will be the style number and description will be the style name.
muggus thats right isnt it

Would be a lot bloody easier for us newbies if that's what it actually said.

Actually, that can't be right can it? The label also calls for "Style".
If I was to make a wild assumption then I would put the Category number for Class, Category for Class Description and obviously Style for Style.

Ahh that upsets my entries. All my bottles are numbered on caps, so I put that same number on the label/form.

Do I need to remove numbers from caps & labels?

id say yes but best to ask those that are running the show.
normally your not allowed distinguishing marks on them.
cheers barls

Yeah that's right
It goes by the AABC Guidelines, so for instance, you have an English Best Bitter you want to put in.
It would go in Catagory 8. Bitter Ale - Style 8.2 English Best Bitter
You don't have to refer to the Style as 8.2 if you've already determined to as being in Catagory 8...minor detail.
On the labels affixed to the bottles, for this example, it would be something like...
Class - 8
Class Description - Bitter Ale
Style - 2. English Best Bitter

The other details....Cap ID, gravity, yeast, etc...arn't all that relevant, and the judges will have no access to this information.

All the sorting out comes down to the stewards on the day. So long as you've filled out the details right, and labelled properly, we should be able to figure it out alright. :)
Also, we'll be decanting the beers into jugs for the judges to pour...so they won't even see the bottle at all.

If possible can someone (Muggus?) confirm that to be eligible for BOS you will need to send in 2 bottles. I ask this as my entries will consist of one 700ml PET bottle. To me this meets the criteria on the comp details which stipulates that each entry should be a minimum of 2 x 330ml bottles (or equivalent).

Cheers

If possible can someone (Muggus?) confirm that to be eligible for BOS you will need to send in 2 bottles. I ask this as my entries will consist of one 700ml PET bottle. To me this meets the criteria on the comp details which stipulates that each entry should be a minimum of 2 x 330ml bottles.

Cheers
To be eligiable for any sort of entry you'll 2 x 330mL bottle (or equivalent)...which basically means you CAN submit a bottle of 660mL as your entry.
However, you will run into the issue if you do submit just the one bottle, and do happen to be up for BOS and the 2nd tasting round of that beer being exposed to oxygen, losing carbonation, etc.
It'll be up to 3 judges to analyse the beer, and they may sample 100mL each, tops, so you will end up with half a bottle left in a 700mL PET...but yeah it won't be the same.
I think certainly if the stewards come across a beer that has performed very well in its Catagory, we'll try to best to reseal its original bottle with enough for judging if there's not another bottle offered.
I think if you were serious about it, i'd go with 2 bottles though.

Thanks for clearing that up Muggus. Appreciate the job you and the other organisers are doing! Fantastic!

Cheers

Thanks for clearing that up Muggus. Appreciate the job you and the other organisers are doing! Fantastic!

Cheers
No worries Matt! Appreciate it.

Like I mentioned early, alot of this does come down to the stewarding on the day.
And apart from making sure we get all of the right beers out to the right judges in the right catagory and styles, I think giving the best chance to anyone with a chance of BOS is certainly a preference and something to take into account if they're relying on the one bottle...and lets face it, some entrants may never consider themselves a contender!

sigh... and I had quite a few bottles saved, the last tallies of certain delicious batches that I hoped were winners!
Oh well, they will be savoured by myself over the coming weeks. :p
Thanks for clarifying, Muggus.

Is that because this year the 'best in show' is effectively a separate and independent competition (Bitter & Twisted Beer Festival), or is that usual practice for the NSW comp?
Plan is to judge the BOS on the same weekend as the State Comp,ie Saturday afternoon.

We (HUB) are working with B&T, as one of the major sponsors for the Comp, to showcase BOS and Catagory winners at the beer festival itself where possible.
As far as I know, there is no B&T competition planned. We ran it last year anyway, so doubt we'll be able to do it...

I'll just be sending 1 x 750ml bottle per style. If I jag an entry to BOS round, I'll take my chances.

Some styles, I only have a handful of bottles left. Winning BOS is less important to me than being able to taste one of my final bottles while reading the judging sheets.

I'll just be sending 1 x 750ml bottle per style. If I jag an entry to BOS round, I'll take my chances.

Yep, same here. Especially since the majority of my beers were bottled months ago to 2 years ago. :lol:

I just dropped off some entires at Dave's HB in Nth Sydney. Unfortunately he is yet to be contacted by the organisers. He is happy to take entries but would probably be happier if he also knew what was going on!

Stew

:icon_offtopic:

I think if you were serious about it, i'd go with 2 bottles though.

The truth is that if everyone submits 2 bottles, the judges and stewards have heaps of piss to drink for a week!

Just kidding. :rolleyes:

:icon_offtopic:

The truth is that if everyone submits 2 bottles, the judges and stewards have heaps of piss to drink for a week!

Just kidding. :rolleyes:
Damn, you caught me out there Fatz...just when I thought I could get away with it...

Latest posts

Back