Nsw Amateur Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well worth the entry fee just for the quality feedback of your beers.
not gonna win a prize and dont care, but a review from those who know their shit is invaluable.

I certainly hope the next year is better for ya' schooey

I promised to supply the BOS prize again this year; I think last years prize was well received.
Havent had time to chance up quite such a unique prize this year so I thought the brewer of the best beer in NSW for 2012 might like some of my favourite brewing books so the BOS prize will be: -
A copy of Kunze - Technology Brewing and Malting
A copy of The ULTIMATE ALMANAC of WORLD BEER RECIPES
And a personal favourite A Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations
All in its over $400 worth of some of the best brewing publications on the planet and a definite head start for someone wanting to win next years BOS.
Unless of course the committee think otherwise
Mark

Good on you Mark, a great prize! Teach a man to fish...

I will be entering this year - so I'll PM you my address to get the grand prize all labelled and ready to go for when I win ;)

Hi Matt,

Apologies that this response is indeed a little late. It is also somewhat unsolicited from the club in general, as frankly, I haven't been much assistance to them for the past 12 months. Hopefully this will explain somewhat to you what has happened and how we can resolve your gripe.

At the time of last years comp, we had limited resources available to the club (time. people available, funds etc) but nobody else really wanted to pick the ball up and run with it, so we jumped in. All was on track for a really great comp (and I still personally believe it was), up until the a week or so after the comp had finished. At the time, my employment changed, along with my wife's employment, some family circumstances on top of that as well as some other financial stresses and curveballs thrown in. I don't wish to make excuses or bore you with the details, but as you can imagine, when you have been away from home for 46 of the past 58 weeks, you're concentrating on keeping your marriage, your family and your house, your priorities shift a little...

Now, onto the prizes... As a club, we didn't officially plan any, apart from the BOS prize that Mark from MHB kindly took upon himself to arrange, and donate. As an aside, when I collected the entries from the pick up spots, I asked them verbally if they were willing to donate some vouchers to the tune of $50 for category prizes. All of the pick up locations pledged their support, some with 2 pledges, as well as a couple of local businesses here, Craftbrewer, and a few other odds and sods. Due to the timing, I was fortunate enough to get the trophies out (with some small delays), the rsults posted and our BJCP obligations filled. However, the pledges for the vouchers were never collected upon, nor have they ever been cashed in. Hopefully that will dispel some of the things I've seen flying around about corruption from the HUB club, or it's members.

Now, you might say that I could have passed on this duty to somebody else to fulfill, but at the time, I had made the promise, and I wanted to get it done. To my poorer udgement though, I didn't get this done, and I am happy to accept full credit for it. This should no way be reflected on the HUB club, or it's current members.

So, going forward, I don't think I could reasonably expect the guys that made pledges for 12 months ago to simply cough up, so I guess if you want the three vouchers or whatever it was you won, you'll have to PM me your bank account details, and I'll sort it out with you personally. I am happy to accept the blame.

As for this years NSWABC comp, I fully believe that the HUB guys will run an awesome competition in the same light as last year. I would love nothing more than to be able to assist, but I simply won't be around, and after this whole thing, I don't ever want to put my name against any promises until I'm either unemployed or retired. I hope anybody that is/was considering entering this year has not been put off by some of negatives in this thread; I can assure you there are some of the countries most knowledgeable beer community involved again in this years comp and that your entry fees will be well worth it.

I hope this allays the concerns thus far.

Cheers,

Tony

Welcome back Tony. Firstly thanks for your reply and explanation about the outstanding prizes from the 2011 NSW Brewing comp.
There are a few things that I would like to raise in reply to your comments above.

Firstly, I was always in praise of the running of the 2011 NSW brewing comp. The speed and quality of the feedback from the judges and posting of results (by you) was appreciated as were the two fantastic glasses I received and I posted such comments on the NSW comp results thread.

You refer to my enquiries about the outstanding prizes as a gripe. Interesting word choice to describe what I would simply call unanswered questions. But thats your opinion and as the organiser of last years comp, youre entitled to it.

The comments I made in the NSW results thread which were...
...Due to the lack of communication it really leaves one to assume that something untoward has occurred...
are the comments Im guessing you are referring to when you say ...the things I've seen flying around about corruption ....
As you can see my post was made on Feb 3 of this year, which was 4+ months since the completion of the comp. My previous and numerous posts enquiring about the prizes had not received a single reply and that post was made perhaps out of frustration about the lack of communication more than anything. In addition, it was the day after that post that I was contacted by the HUB president who first told me that you had changed jobs and were hard to track down. Prior to that the last contact/ reply about the comp prizes was from you on Sept 21. In addition there was no information about how to enter into the Bitter and Twisted Festival as well.

I can understand your willingness to fulfil the obligations you made to your fellow club members about the chasing up and organising of prizes etc but in hindsight (and as you have accepted responsibility) perhaps it should have been passed onto to another club member.

As for your offer to personally deposit funds into my account, well nice try. Its not about that and you know it as much as I do. It was and always has been about the lack of communication between the competition organiser and the category winners. As far as chasing up the pledges made for the 2011 comp prizes, if you feel that 12 months is too long to chase them up, then that is your decision as the organiser.

As far as tainting the image of the HUB club, as far as Im concerned I dont think HUB has anything they need to explain. I think it is pretty admirable for you to return to this forum and accept the blame as you have done and I respect you for doing so Tony. I would like to extend my gratitude to the HUB for running the comp again this year and I wish the entrants and organisers good luck in their endeavours.

I consider this issue to be finalised Tony and I accept your ownership of responsibility for last years comp. I would also like to wish you well in your personal situation as well.

Regards
MattC

Hi Matt,
2012 is a new year.
Would you like to be involved in the competition? I assume you live in Ballina, (My favourite country in the whole world). Come to the Hunter Valley and get involved if you like? Seems you can make a decent beer? I have a cold one waiting..

Fear.

Hi Matt,
2012 is a new year.
Would you like to be involved in the competition? I assume you live in Ballina, (My favourite country in the whole world). Come to the Hunter Valley and get involved if you like? Seems you can make a decent beer? I have a cold one waiting..

Fear.

Fear, thanks very much for the kind invite. Being involved in these comps is something that I would definitely like to do at some stage. At present it is not possible for me to make the trip to the Hunter or Sydney to take part in these comps as I have a young family and the wife works on weekends. I am aware of the level of organisation that is required for the running of a NSW comp and I am appreciative of the efforts of clubs such as HUB in running these comps. The feedback from the judges is always excellent and it is from this feedback that I have been able to massively improve my beers over the last 3 years.

Yours in appreciation

MattC

Just a question regarding the bottle labels for the Class, Class description and Style.

I'm entering a Hefeweizen so i've guessed it should be as follows:

Class: 16
Class Description: Wheat & Rye Beer
Style: 16.2 Weizen/Weissbier

Would that be correct?

Just a question regarding the bottle labels for the Class, Class description and Style.

I'm entering a Hefeweizen so i've guessed it should be as follows:

Class: 16
Class Description: Wheat & Rye Beer
Style: 16.2 Weizen/Weissbier

Would that be correct?

Yes, that looks fine.

It may seem like duplication that the Class 16 is also included in the style description but it does help resolve and errors or difficult to read entries.

Obviously the Style is the most important as this is the description that the beer will be judged against.

HTH,
Dave

Thanks Dave. Yeah it makes sense. This is my first comp entry so i was second guessing myself a bit.

Just a quick heads up to everyone that the Drop Off date for Entries is this Friday at your nearest drop off point.
Any issues getting them there, send me a PM or email [email protected]

Also for anyone wanting to put their hand up for judging or steward, we're making the cut off date this Friday.

Cheers
Mike

Just in case you missed it elsewhere, my hand is up to judge from the 17th through to the end. Will steward if you have too many judges.

Beerz
Les

*edited for paw spelling :lol:

Just dropped it off. Looking forward to an unbiased palate tearing it to shreds.

Noooooo! Missed the cut off:( Any chance of late entries? I'd drive it out to potters even.

Noooooo! Missed the cut off:( Any chance of late entries? I'd drive it out to potters even.

"Entries received after this date will be
discarded and the entry fee returned no late entries can be accepted."

Fair nuff...
Next year:)

Enter your beers into the Castle Hill comp instead ! Plenty of qualified judges to give you feedback, a well-run annual event with hundreds of entrants. You would have to get your beers down to Sydney drop point fairly soon though. Theres a thread in this section somewhere.

Enter your beers into the Castle Hill comp instead ! Plenty of qualified judges to give you feedback, a well-run annual event with hundreds of entrants. You would have to get your beers down to Sydney drop point fairly soon though. Theres a thread in this section somewhere.

Yep, still time to get your beers into the Castle Hill show. Entries in by next weekend (Friday really) by post or directly to the showground next Saturday or to the retailers.

How did the state comp go for those who were there?

shit, Friday is the deadline? I was going to drop mine off on Saturday to Absolute :(

shit, Friday is the deadline? I was going to drop mine off on Saturday to Absolute :(

No, that's fine for Saturday at the brewshops. I was unclearly just noting that the deadline for post is down as next Saturday but there is of course no post on Saturday.

Any news, guys?

Sorry not yet - it will be another week before the judging is complete.

Due to large number of entries and the minimal support from outside the Hunter region we will have to conviene the 4th day of judging next weekend.

Our thanks go out to all the Hunter Brewers and Kelly, Graham, Barry, Mort and Dave who travelled to make this weekend possible.

Back