NSW AHB Xmas Case 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size bottles for the NSW AHB Xmas Case ?

• 375 ml bottles please

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500 ml bottles please

• 750 ml bottles please

• Don't Care

• Total voters
AG Amarillo APA first, with a AG ESB and partial stout as backup

Will

Fellas,

Lock me in, Eddie! :) :)

I started the ag Berliner Weisse yesterday.
Talk about smelly. Talk about lark's vomit! The overnight acid rest, with 350g of previously prepared and frozen sour mash, was actively fermenting (lactic ferment) in the morning. I could smell it with the esky lid closed.

Just hope it's not too acidic. Should be great, though. All 24 litres of it. Hey, a bloke needs some refreshing Summer beer, and I thought I'd make in excess of the Xmas case requirements, so that I can look after myself too.

sour Seth out :p

Weizguy said:
Fellas,

Lock me in, Eddie!
I started the ag Berliner Weisse yesterday.
Talk about smelly. Talk about lark's vomit! The overnight acid rest, with 350g of previously prepared and frozen sour mash, was actively fermenting (lactic ferment) in the morning. I could smell it with the esky lid closed.

Just hope it's not too acidic. Should be great, though. All 24 litres of it. Hey, a bloke needs some refreshing Summer beer, and I thought I'd make in excess of the Xmas case requirements, so that I can look after myself too.

sour Seth out
[post="78661"][/post]​
The Berliner Weie sounds great Seth. Can't wait to taste it. :rolleyes:

Do we all get a sachet of woodruff syrup to go with it? :unsure:

10-4

Borret :blink:

You guys are certainly going to have a big time on the pi! :p

Warren -

okie dokie, where to start.........

had a crack at my Xmas case which was also my first AG.

had 2 stuck sparges, both which required the whole mash to be pulled apart, so i'm planning on making a couple of adjustments to my mash tun, that will be this weekends job.

I also didn't yield quite enough, i reckon i've prob just got 18L if i'm lucky, most likely only 17L.

It is however fermenting nicely and i did learn some valuble lessons, like, when you have a new burner, maybe let it burn for 30 mins out in the open before you use it to brew, the fumes/smoke from the paint (on the ring which the kettle sits on) was a killer.

So i'll be adjusting my recipe slightly for a bigger batch and will jump back on the horse ASAP

P.S. I used the Gameco Wok Burner and was very happy with it and my kettle sit on it perfectly! Can't remember how long it took to bring wort to boil, my record keeping of the day went to s#@t after the 2nd stuck sparge.

Sounds like a good learning brew am.
When I started I tried to improve/fix one item/process in each brew.
Sounds like you get one by default (paint off the burner) and two more that should be easy to fix (volume and manifold).
Hope the next one goes smoother.

I'm brewing my NSW Xmas case this weekend. It will be a Kolsch.

Beers
Doc

am

The stuck sparges may have been due to running off too quickly.

I'd aim for about 45 mins for your standard 23 litre batch. You may have compacted the bed in your haste? :unsure:

Just keeps getting better from there. :beerbang:

Warren -

I thought my run off was pretty slow, but then again it was my first so maybe it wasn't slow enough.

However, when i pulled the mash apart there was quite a bit of grain under the false bottom, but i did knock the tubing out (from false bottom to tap) when i was trying to unstick the stuck sparge, so it might have been then when the grain got under the false bottom.

The 2nd time was due to grain stuck in the tap.

I just went a bought some S/S mesh from a camping shop which i'll use to make some adjustments to the false bottom, to prevent anything getting through any small gaps where it might not sit completely flush in the tun.

am

If it's a round Phil's False bottom in your cooler the easiest thing to do is get a bit of 12mm racking hose and slice it straight down it's length. Then just form this around the circumference of the false bottom. Acts like a makeshift seal to keep the fines and grain bits out.

Sounds like you may have gotten a dose of Phloating Phil's I think. :eek:

With mine I've got a bit of copper pipe in place of the regular plastic hose and barb. I've got a compression elbow in the middle of the false bottom. This holds everything down quite snugly and doesn't lift at all.

That said you'll always get a small amount getting through into the boiler. No big deal and just comes out in the hot break I guess. :beerbang:

Warren -

Hi Warren,

Its not a Phils Phalse bottom, but i will be taking your suggestion onboard with the racking tube. I reckon that will work great!

I'll look into the copper tubing too!

Cheers Warren! You have possibly saved me another brain-fart brew day :p

Borret said:
The Berliner Weie sounds great Seth. Can't wait to taste it. :rolleyes:

Do we all get a sachet of woodruff syrup to go with it?

10-4

Borret
[post="78674"][/post]​

...only if U buy it yourself :lol:
...I'd suggest/prefer a jigger (45ml) of raspberry instead.

BYW, I'm compromising the accepted ideals on this one. Apparently you can only get this beer in 330ml bottles in Gemany, and U guys want it in 750 ml bottles? :lol:

Seth out :p

P.S. the beer is fermenting quite well ATM @ 18C

Out of curiosity- What yeast are you using on it Seth, or are you relying soley on naturally occuring evils?

Borret

Seth.

You should have been authentic. By all accounts the brewery add the syrups to the bottle now. How cool's that. Wonder if you can get a mixed slab of woodruff & raspberry? :beerbang:

'Scuce the Mexican thread hijack NSW chappies. :lol:

Warren -

Borret said:
Out of curiosity- What yeast are you using on it Seth, or are you relying soley on naturally occuring evils?

Borret
[post="78941"][/post]​

Good question Borret!

I have adapted my recipe from the one in BYO mag, a while back.
I've cultured some Wyeast German Ale (W1007) and pitched it.

Don't worry, I'm not brewing a lambic. The end result will be a dry, sour but neutral-tasting, very pale wheat beer, of about 2.5% alcohol. Great for Boxing Day breakfast.
I'll soon find out what the NSW comp judges have to say about it.
Keith (the malt/hop pig) from the lhbs quite enjoys it. In fact, the only negative comment I got was from a wheat farmer who started that it smelled like a pile of rotting wheat. Yep, that'd be the lactobacillus!...and it's meant to be like that.

Seth :p

BTW Cool pix, Warren. However, I'll let the other Xmas case brewers decide if they want to add syrup. Maybe they'll pour 3 glasses out of the 750ml bottle: 1 plain, 1 woodruff and 1 raspberry? or maybe fruit juice?

Brewing my planned beer for the Xmas case tomorrow all things being equal. It is an 'Amber Ale' style; well it loosely fits what seems a 'loose' category. I've brewed a simialr recipe twice before and it has always been a really tasty but still easy drinking brew. Hope it goes well and that everyone likes it. :) Here's the planned recipe:

Recipe: Sarah's Amber Ale III
Brewer: Shawn
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 31.50 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 21.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type %
or
IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain
79.2 %
0.55 kg Weyermann Munich I (15.8 EBC) Grain
10.9 %
0.30 kg TF Crystal (145.8 EBC) Grain 5.9
%
0.10 kg JWM Dark Crystal (221.0 EBC) Grain 2.0
%
0.10 kg JWM Wheat Malt (3.9 EBC) Grain 2.0
%
18.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.80%] (60 min) Hops
IBU
20.00 gm Williamette [4.90%] (30 min) Hops 8.5
IBU
30.00 gm Williamette [4.90%] (10 min) Hops 6.0
IBU
20.00 gm Williamette [4.90%] (1 min) Hops 0.5
IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [StartYeast-Ale

Shawn.

I'll be brewing a strong ale for the Xmas case this w/e also.

Based on previous batches, I wouldn't say it's an easy drinking beer - more like a meal in a glass. :D
Most (non-brewing) people that have tried it were amazed at the malt flavours but I've also had a few spit it on floor in disgust (bunch of girl's blouses :angry: ).
My favourite anyway. :chug:

Good luck with the brewday Shmick. Love a good meaty brew :) Look forward to tasting it.

Shawn.

I'ts looking like i wont get a chance to brew till late october...maybe early november. Is this a problem.?
i hope not... i definately dont want mine to be the last of the longnecks consumed for the christmas case.. i dont think i'm at that standard.

is everyone planning to drink the case over the christmas period.. or savour them for the summer months ahead...?

I'll be sharing Christmas dinner with my Toohey's Red swilling brother, so I might be savouring the case over the following week/s rather than see some of it go down his philistine neck.

I'm thinking of brewing an English brown ale or a Porter.

KoNG said:
I'ts looking like i wont get a chance to brew till late october...maybe early november. Is this a problem.?
i hope not... i definately dont want mine to be the last of the longnecks consumed for the christmas case.. i dont think i'm at that standard.

is everyone planning to drink the case over the christmas period.. or savour them for the summer months ahead...?
[post="80419"][/post]​

I'm sure if you mark it coopers style with the 'best after' date it won't be a problem. :) I for one will take a while to get through them.

I too may be in the same boat as I have had no finished brews come out of the crazy eyes AG beer factory yet and don't really wnat to give away all of teh first one. I am toying with the idea of brewing an English mild/brown myself for the case in a couple of weeks time. Still not definate yet

Borret

Back