Nottingham Yeast Is An Animal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like in APA's either... get exactly the same taste.
Often my yeast of choice in dark beers, IPA's (compliments well with the english floral hops) & Alts. Wouldn't use in much else though.

Cheers Ross

I agree with you 100%,it is a wonderful,in fact the best choice for Aussie Ales....just try it ;)

Batz

jebus, Just racked to secondary and this stuff makes a thick and almost rubber like yeast cake!

I don't like in APA's either... get exactly the same taste.
Often my yeast of choice in dark beers, IPA's (compliments well with the english floral hops) & Alts. Wouldn't use in much else though.

Cheers Ross

Ross,I knew from the first smell, something was off.Through the middle it had a nice malt back bone,but at the back of the tongue it had a bitter with chalk taste.

Even bogan mates could tell,it wasn't house ale :p

Well maybe they aren't bogan if they can tell

Who knows?

I'm ashamed to say I have never tried an English brew,let alone tried to brew one.

Please forgive me Ross ;)

Sometimes,we look in the wrong places.

I'm thinking about trying this yeast in a brew with all marris otter and Willamette. Beersmith predicts the colour will be 8.4 EBC. OG: 1.044

Just wondering if you think this "chalky" taste will come through?

This is a great Ale yeast for the darker/bigger/hoppier beers and u can't go past US-05 for the pale stuff.

well i've just sampled an Alt made with this yeast and I'll never use it for this again. Tastes like an English Bitter...which is not a bad thing but not what I was after. FRom now on I'll leave this yeast for the darker Pommy beers and use some thing cleaner for my alts. US05 is OK but you cant beat WY1007.

clay

I don't really get a chalky or dusty taste at all myself, all round this is stil one of my favourite yeasts - particularly for the fact that to my palate - it contributes absolutely nothing to the beer but great attenuation and clarity.
Not really questioning the results of the rest of you - I have just never had them myself :) And I've made some awesome pale beers with incredible crispness/clean taste. :D

Could this chalky taste phenomenon be something to do with fermentation temps?

Possibly...maybe...I tend to ferment on the lowish side with Not's, 16-18 degrees is my preferred range and one of the reasons i like this yeast, because it doesn't blink even if the temp drops down to 12ish it just gets cleaner and cleaner (for me anyway :) )

...but even at lager temps it still has the "Nottingham" taste, even in darker beers (to my palate at least)

OK.....perhaps that's that theory shot down.....I don't know. Maybe it's my palate :D

Old thread but
Pitched 3 Packets of dried Nottingham that had been hydrated to make a 200ml slurry at 4pm Sunday into a 60lts batch.
O.G 1.046
today 1.016
48 hours later 30 point drop. I love when this happens.

just wanted to say..........

edit..first time user

The yeast is a beast, I had a 1:050 ferment out to 1:010 in 24hrs previously, that was pitched from a slurry.

Just bottled a notto on the 4th of Nov waiting patiently to try,faux lager @ 14c 1050 - 1008

Did a dry stout and it seemed to work pretty well. Didn't seem to get the crazy attenuation though.

My malt bill was all pils touch of wheat mashed @ 64 so good attenuation

I do like this yeast but it is good to keep the temp down a bit i normally do ales at 16 to 18 deg but then again i love my German beers deutches beir ist besser

Pitched this in a.porter on wendsday.
No activity yet.
There is two I pitched at the same time.
One was Uso5 one the nottingham.
Uso5 took off nicely.
I was brewing and left both in cubes in my chest Freezer to long .I pitched both at 12deg.
Once I saw my mistake I put the heater on in the ferment fridge and got them both up to 17deg.
It's getting to a point where I think I should throw a Uso5 packet in.
I'm worried the nottingham was buggered.
should I leave it or pitch another yeast in?

Latest posts

Back