Nottingham Yeast Is An Animal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I did my Irish Red on Sunday, it was Ducatiboys recipe, and I used Nottingham yeast. I did pitch a little.....well a lot warm in the high 20's but with the fermenter in the fridge and the air pump in the freezer it got the temp down to 18 within a few hours. Anyway with the OG at 1.050 after 12 hours the airlock was going nuts at 16 deg C so I dropped it down to 14 deg C and it appears to be all but finished 3 and a half days later. Well its down to 1.012. I wonder how cold this stuff will ferment at? It tastes great out of the primary but not a Red as I hoped.
So now that I am kegging should I just rack straight to the keg with some gelatine? The problem I can see is that I like to force carb (Ross style) but I fear this would stir up all the yeast in the bottom of the keg.
What your experience with doing this?

Steve

3 days is pretty normal for nottingham and 14C is also the coldest I have gone. Leave it another 3-4 days in primary to clean up after it self (any diacetyl or yeast by-products), crash chill to 0C, rack to a keg with gelatine and carbonate as normal straight away before the gelatine starts to do its thing. The shaking from carbing will also help to mix in the gelatine.

Ive got Stu's recipe on my list to brew so I hope yours turns out great :chug:

Thanks Jye, yep it tastes great out of the fermenter. I think the red will come through when the yeast drops out.

Steve

For Steve and others interested this is the Irish Red ale recipe in question. Next time I might even go a bit harder with the Cara grains and not do a Mash out and just increase the volume of my 2 equall sparges.

#52 Irish Red
Irish Red Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 30/12/2007
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 32.05 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4500.00 gm Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 81.52 %
750.00 gm Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 13.59 %
250.00 gm Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 4.53 %
20.00 gm Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 0.36 %
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.12 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 24.1 IBU Calories: 0 cal/l
Est Color: 30.4 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 5520.00 gm
Sparge Water: 12.58 L Grain Temperature: 20.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 78.0 C TunTemperature: 20.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.2 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 71.3 C 65.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 93.7 C 75.6 C

I pitched a packet of Nottingham into an ALT beer Sunday afternoon and when i checked it this morning it has burst through the clear glad wrap i use as my fermenter lid, looks like i have a job cleaning my fermenting fridge up tonight :lol:

Rook

I just pitched a satchel of this stuff directly into my single malt/hop experiment a couple of days ago, no starter prep'd just straight in. The thing was bubbling away within hours but I don't think I'll have your problem Rook cause I only made a 21lt batch leaving plenty of head space in the fermenter.

I did 40 litres of Stout in a 60 litre fermenter and bugger me the stuff managed to find its way out the airlock. I reckon they must put a nutrient pack of speed in each sachet of Nottingham. :eek:

Warren -

Its great stuff, a Wazza

Used this yeast for the first time a few weeks back,in a recipe I make nearly every week.

I have always used 1056,but decided to try the dried.Nottingham having a rep. as a neutral yeast,that sticks well.

I wont be using it again.Although the beer isn't bad,it has this chalky taste,that is out of character.Even considered pouring 23lt on the garden,i disliked the results so much.

Was really disappointed with it actually,after so many people here wrap it up. :(

Used this yeast for the first time a few weeks back,in a recipe I make nearly every week.

I have always used 1056,but decided to try the dried.Nottingham having a rep. as a neutral yeast,that sticks well.

I wont be using it again.Although the beer isn't bad,it has this chalky taste,that is out of character.Even considered pouring 23lt on the garden,i disliked the results so much.

Was really disappointed with it actually,after so many people here wrap it up. :(

what beer did you use in Milpod?

cheers Ross

Its great stuff, a Wazza

Sorry Steve, just saw this. Thus far I'd say yes. Because the resultant stout was really nice with a great dry/neutral flavour profile. Can't say my experience with it goes any further than that other than trying a sample of Rook's altbier made with it which was great too.

Yet to try it in a paler beer. Would be very hard for it to usurp US-05 which is my standard operating procedure for lighter coloured Ales.

Warren -

I did a side-by-side Austramerican Pale Ale double batch that got split between US-05 and Nottingham.

The Nott version seemed less hoppy than the US-05 version. Clarity was about same between the two, but once the Nott yeast found its way to the bottom of the bottle, there was no way it was going to leave.

I like Nottingham in the ducker beers I've made with it, but the Americans still reign supreme in my brewery for paler brews.

Sorry.

I probably should have said geuze... :ph34r: :unsure:

"what beer did you use in Milpod?

cheers Ross"

Ross used it in pale ale, with late additions of NS.

"what beer did you use in Milpod?

cheers Ross"

Ross used it in pale ale, with late additions of NS.

I don't like in APA's either... get exactly the same taste.
Often my yeast of choice in dark beers, IPA's (compliments well with the english floral hops) & Alts. Wouldn't use in much else though.

Cheers Ross

Back