Lallemand Novalager yeast help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Harbour-Bridge

Reaction score
Just kegged a lager using the above yeast and I really just don't like it.

Mrs HB tried it and said it was strange, I could just taste green apples.

I have read that it produces green apple flavour but I couldn't have imaged how much.

With this in mind, I fermented at 11 C (starting gravity was 1.044) until the gravity reached 1.015 which took 6 days, I then warmed it to 17 C which took 4 days, I held it there 3 more days until there was no dyacetal (I could taste) and fermentation was complete at 1.008.

I racked using a close transfer method to a CO2 purged chubby and reduced to -0.2 C over 6 days, where it was held for 6 weeks.

I fined with gelatin and 6 days later with PVPP 2 weeks later it was kegged with a closed transfer.

Is there anything else I could have done to prevent the apple flavour?

Last edited:
Sorry, never used it, so can't help you. Your result seems a shame, as a dry yeast would be more convenient than a liquid yeast. Maybe a longer period of lagering might help, although I see you've already done 6 weeks? I can't find anything to help from a search of the net.

I do have an Urquel PC2001 pack in my fridge, ready for my next attempt at a Pils, but that's of no use to you unfortunately. Plan is to do an 8 litre batch, and then use the slurry for a full size batch to follow.

No worries Phil, I usually use W34/70 for ordinary lagers but my LHBS had run out.

I like both the Bluestone lager yeasts, I've done a few with them, seems if you just pitch the whole packet when it's fresh you don't need a starter which makes them closer in price to the packet ones,

I don't brew lagers often enough for it to be worth keeping and culturing the yeast.

Next one will probably be a Vienna, I did a nice one last year with wyeast 2308 so I'll probably use that again

I've used it once and the whole batch went down the drain. I also fermented on the cooler side as i wasn't sure how it would go, turns out not good. Might try it again but will stick to 34/70 i think....

Edit: I'm reading on reddit and people are suggesting its "aggressively" clean, but at the higher temps. Maybe thats where we went wrong...?

Snip from the Complete Beer Fault Guide. Download it from the footer, well wort having a copy.

Pressure fermentation can increase the Acetaldehyde production of some lagers; I haven’t used the strain in question but worth thinking about.
Mostly comes down to Yeast management, but that’s always the case when brewing Lager!
Mark

1706314991032.png

Attachments

• Complete_Beer_Fault_Guide.pdf
    454.7 KB · Views: 0
I am at the chill stage using Nova Lager. Sitting at 3.5 C for the last 2 days.
I fermented a classic German pilsner to try out this yeast.
I then cheat with the yeast.
I normally use either W34-70 or Diamond yeast.
So far, I have never had green apples.

I pitched at 17 and chilled to 15 for 4 days, I then increased the temp naturally until it achieved 18 and held there for 3 days. Crashed at 4 C per day till it hit 4C

I do hope this works out for me as I want to use the yeast it as a large starter for a Mexican lager I just brewed today.

I will keg and taste it before inoculating the next brew.

That's weird - you did everything to avoid acetaldehyde.
It usually occurs when there has been oxygen introduced after fermentation or the beer has been pulled off the yeast too soon, and neither is the problem in your case.
The only thing I can think of is that you got a dud packet that had been stored poorly and you unknowingly under-pitched.
I have used Novalager a few times but at 18-20C and I think it's great.

I think Huez is on the money, anecdotal evidence suggests fermenting warm for lager produces a better beer which is what this yeast was selected for. Marks document states fermentation at temperature too cool for yeast can increase acetaldehyde production, I didn't ferment under pressure, the chubby is a handy way to do closed transfers and keg the cleanest beer. Low temperature is the only likely source of the problem I can see.

I pitched 22 l wort onto 2 packets of re-hydrated yeast and oxygenated by running the wort slowly so it splashed for about 30 minutes, which is my usual method.

My whole process is low dissolved oxygen from start to finish. I mash in and sparge with water that has been filtered, boiled, cooled to the appropriate temperature and treated with sodium metabisulfite. My mash tun recirculates wort to below the surface of the mash to reduce splashing. The transfer to boil kettle introduces the wort to the bottom of the kettle to reduce splashing and the whirlpool is gentle enough to avoid creating foam or bubbles. I have recently introduced a mash cap although that was not used on the naughty lager.

Transfer completed and no green apple for me.
So far it does taste different to my usual yeast choice, but not unfavorable. It will need to lager for a few days a will taste again.

My process at the end of boil is to add yeast nutrient.
I have used Lallemand life O yeast nutrient the last few brews.
What I read was that lagers need zinc.

I've had good results with Novalager and brewing Helle lagers. Three successfully done and no off flavors. I start at 12C and then once nearly complete push to 20C. Cold crash after that for a couple of days - then keg. Then I leave it for 4 weeks before starting to drink. Brewfather fermentation graph attached which helps to visualize it.

Edit: I always make a 1 liter starter the night before for the brew. Gets things going faster.

Attachments

• helle novalager.png
    helle novalager.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back