Nottingham Yeast Is An Animal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scooby Tha Newbie said:
Pitched this in a.porter on wendsday.
No activity yet.
There is two I pitched at the same time.
One was Uso5 one the nottingham.
Uso5 took off nicely.
I was brewing and left both in cubes in my chest Freezer to long .I pitched both at 12deg.
Once I saw my mistake I put the heater on in the ferment fridge and got them both up to 17deg.
It's getting to a point where I think I should throw a Uso5 packet in.
I'm worried the nottingham was buggered.
should I leave it or pitch another yeast in?
Don't want to add worry especially considering I'm only two brews in with notto but mine have kicked off in 5 hours and 2 hours respectively with a starter and that's at 16ish degrees c, I'd be getting the 05 out I think

I used this once and it lagged a good 12 hours.
In the fermenter mid arvo. Checked it before I went to bed and nothing, next morning a hint of krausen.... That afternoon when I opened the cupboard it was pushing foam through the airlock nineteen to the dozen had filled the top of my fermenter lid and was spewing yeasty goodness everywhere at 20c (as low as my ice bottle and esky in a cupboard temperature "control" could get it mid summer)
I've steered clear since then.

The pack was old tho, was for a brew that never happened and sat in the fridge a good few months before I got another batch I wanted to pitch it into.

Also tasted horrible for what it's worth but I was cowboy brewing with kit and kilo for that batch so let's not blame the yeast.

Cowboy brewing as in very few fucks were given to get another batch in the fermenter wasn't a knock against can brewing.

An animal you say? Two packs pitched into a OG 1072 stout under 48 hours ago. Not sure the cleaner is that impressed with my brewing prowess....

image.jpg
image.jpg

Back