No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a 4WD as we are considering a second child and due to my massive height not many cars allow a rearward facing seat behind me and thanks to the new laws our daughter has to be in a booster until she is 7 and she was able to kick the back of my seat when we had a commodore while the barina was being serviced (I sit rather reclined so my vision isn't impaired by the roof line).

Long story short, I need a car where I can sit in a much more upright position, this leaves SUVs and people movers. Given we live in the Inner West of Sydney and don't intend to go 4WDing any time soon why pay for the additional equipment which adds to fuel consumption and servicing costs if I have no need for it? I'd buy a 2WD version of an X-trail/CRV/Captiva if there was one.

I'm in the same boat, looking for a car with decent room for the "taller gent". Currently have a corolla that's fine, but with the second child on the way soon it'd be nice to have a touch more room. My old man's got a lexus 4wd. As nice as it is my head touches the internal lining of the roof and leg room's not great even all the way back. recently hired a Hyundai Imax when on holidays... loved it soo much room. It's now got me considering a people mover as the next car

I want a 4WD as we are considering a second child and due to my massive height not many cars allow a rearward facing seat behind me and thanks to the new laws our daughter has to be in a booster until she is 7 and she was able to kick the back of my seat when we had a commodore while the barina was being serviced (I sit rather reclined so my vision isn't impaired by the roof line).

Long story short, I need a car where I can sit in a much more upright position, this leaves SUVs and people movers. Given we live in the Inner West of Sydney and don't intend to go 4WDing any time soon why pay for the additional equipment which adds to fuel consumption and servicing costs if I have no need for it? I'd buy a 2WD version of an X-trail/CRV/Captiva if there was one.

I'm in the same boat, looking for a car with decent room for the "taller gent". Currently have a corolla that's fine, but with the second child on the way soon it'd be nice to have a touch more room. My old man's got a lexus 4wd. As nice as it is my head touches the internal lining of the roof and leg room's not great even all the way back. recently hired a Hyundai Imax when on holidays... loved it soo much room. It's now got me considering a people mover as the next car

Jeebus! Just how big are you guys?

I'm 190cm, and have no problems in a bog standard Crummodore.

The trouble with the economy end of the 4WD and SUV market is the majority are designed and built in the Asian market, and you blokes just don't fit there... Even the Euro SUV's suffer massive blind spots and limited comfort if you aren't 5'10" and weigh 70-90kg. If you go for the American end of the market, I hope you have a money tree, but you will get the best ride, comfort wise, but will have to live with paying through the nose to drive an environmental clusterfuck...

Spare a weekend to go test driving is probably the best advice I can offer.... see what fits your sie and budget best

200cm

snip... If you go for the American end of the market, I hope you have a money tree, but you will get the best ride, comfort wise, but will have to live with paying through the nose to drive an environmental clusterfuck...
snip...

I wish... this what my brother drives... lives in Phoenix. Has four kids. Seats 7, plus a large storage area in the back... think Landcruiser size, then add a storage area on the back = big car. Such a nice car, fits in with what everyone else has. Would love to have one here, but stick out like dogs balls on a cat.
GMC_Denali.JPG

Surely there'd be some brewing scheduled?

Yup, of course. Just finished a light APA, kegged and Amber Ale, tomorrow will be cracking some more grain for a Cal Com. Then if I have time I'll do one of my Vicbrew entries. Wish I could brew every day, but I'm sure my folks who are visiting will want to do something other than watch me brew :lol: Dad did say the house stinks while the mash was on :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm 190, but like to lean back to be able to see further ahead.......Most of the time you are driving the 2m ahead of you is technically the past by the time you react anyway.

I'd love a yank tank. One of the guys at work has a mid nineties Explorer, if not for the fact that it is going to be the missus driving the second car the most I'd get one myself.

I'm 190, but like to lean back to be able to see further ahead.......Most of the time you are driving the 2m ahead of you is technically the past by the time you react anyway.
I'm intrigued.

So how much time does the extra recline buy you?
Given that the nose of the car is still in the same position, wouldn't you be better-off leaning forward as far as possible?
Can you put your logic in a diagram?
Is this a joke?

I think Pollux maybe refferring to how far he can see up the road, given his height and therefore his angle of his view...by lowering his viewpoint just a few inches would equate to many more metres of view up the road...but maybe I'm way off

Schooey has hit the nail on the head. If I sit upright in most cars (it was worse in our old magna) then the sloping design of the roof cuts out my vision ahead. I don't need to see my bonnet while I'm driving, I know where it ends, and if I am in stop start traffic or squeezing into a tight parking spot I can always lean forward.

To give you an idea, even with my reclined positioned I sit in, if I use the sun visor (even in the completely rotated position against the glass) I actually can't see what colour traffic light is lit once I'm within roughly 20m of the intersection. As someone who doesn't watch the brake light of the car directly ahead but pays more attention to the one 3 or 4 cars up the height of the windscreen makes a HUGE difference.

Cheers Brad my Spanish friend. but all i get is ads for dunny cleaner and hot russian brides. which even though is much more entertaining than eddie mcguire is still not as good as the cricket. probably a pigeon on the cable somewhere. it'll be on the tv in 10 minutes.

any how 200 posts... yay.

go punter.

I think Pollux maybe refferring to how far he can see up the road, given his height and therefore his angle of his view...by lowering his viewpoint just a few inches would equate to many more metres of view up the road...but maybe I'm way off
Right. Now I understand. I thought you meant that the extra tilt backwards improved your reaction time or something.

As you were...

Three things to piss me off this morning:
1 planned on bottling a Cerveza last night, and then found the gravity dropped another 2 points.
2 Someone took the pool car this morning - stuffing up my site visit (and convenient trip past Dave's HBS)
3. Problem with cockroaches on our desks on our whole floor. Building manager is a complete f##khead & has so far ignored it, saying that spraying in the kitchen is enough.

At least it's a friday, and my fridge is stocked.

lost 3 kg this week after a bit of an effort to do something about my ever growing waistline... i think i've found the answer to it... brew a couple of shit batches, <_< then i won't want to drink as much. 6 kegs in the fridge and only 1 i want to sample. :(

Three things to piss me off this morning:
1 planned on bottling a Cerveza last night, and then found the gravity dropped another 2 points.
2 Someone took the pool car this morning - stuffing up my site visit (and convenient trip past Dave's HBS)
3. Problem with cockroaches on our desks on our whole floor. Building manager is a complete f##khead & has so far ignored it, saying that spraying in the kitchen is enough.

At least it's a friday, and my fridge is stocked.

Well done... I have not had a beer in over a month 5 kilos down...

Beer is EVIL... lol!

Well done... I have not had a beer in over a month 5 kilos down...

Beer is EVIL... lol!
But evil tastes so good!
Well done Katie.

HR emailed earlier saying pest spraying is happening tonight - and I just wiped another cockroach off my glass

Latest posts

Back