No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbott sexworker.jpg

Looking at the Bob Hawke posts, I have been amusing myself watching Nigel Farage in action in the EU Parliament, and I have noticed that when he is interviewed usually he is either, just going into a pub, in the pub, or just coming out of the pub.

Wow gotta love the ongoing warn williams BS. Those threads just keep on giving.

Well after a three year break from AG (and selling all my equipment)....im pleased to say I will be doing an APA on Sunday with a recipe from my mate Peteoz77. All new (second hand) equipment. Traditional 3 vessel system. Even made myself a new copper immersion chiller. Going old school. Just a tad excited. Its amazing how much you actually forget. Even the small details like what strike temp was needed to get your mash temp right etc etc. Looking forward to it. Anyone recommend a good free brewing program for a PC?
Cheers
Steve

Brewmate is said by many to be good. I haven't used it myself. Or download the Beersmith trial. IIRC it's good for a month's use, and in my opinion a highly worthwhile purchase if you like it.

Brewers friend will let you do a few recipes for free, then you pay for it, think it is $10.
I like it does it all once you get your head around the way it works.

Downloaded Brewmate...looks good so far. Will also have a look at Brewers Friend. Cheers for the tip.
Steve

Steve said:
Well after a three year break from AG (and selling all my equipment)....im pleased to say I will be doing an APA on Sunday with a recipe from my mate Peteoz77. All new (second hand) equipment. Traditional 3 vessel system. Even made myself a new copper immersion chiller. Going old school. Just a tad excited. Its amazing how much you actually forget. Even the small details like what strike temp was needed to get your mash temp right etc etc. Looking forward to it. Anyone recommend a good free brewing program for a PC?
Cheers
Steve
Good to see you back into it mate. Brewmate is great!

Bribie G said:
If you have ever wondered how Ange Postecoglou got his seemingly ridiculous surname from, it's actually a very interesting historical hangover from the Ottoman Empire.
Prior to World War 1, the Turkish Ottoman Empire controlled much of the Balkans including Greece, and huge areas of the Middle East.

They had no "surname" system as we had in West and most people were named after their location or trade or who their father was, for example Abdul son of Ahmed the Donkey Castrator.

Along the same lines as -sen in Nordic Languages and Mc- in many Celtic lands.

In Turkish, son is "ogul", pronounced "owul" as the g is soft or silent. "oglu" means "son of". Pronounced "owloo" So Postacoglou is a Greek spelling of "Son of Posta or Poste". The "c" would have been put in as Greeks would consider the juxtapositon of the two vowels to be awkward if not downright ugly, so a "c" would be a natural thing for the Greek speech pattern to slip in, as well as pronouncing the soft g as a hard g.

The "oglu" construct is commonly found in Greek Surnames, much as there are millions of McWilliams and McTavishes knocking around in the West.

Not so common in Turkey itself nowadays. When it became a republic after the First World War they gave everyone a proper surname. If they didn't nominate one they were given one, which was issued out of a book with some names we would consider rather funny in the West. So there's a lot of Turks going round with names like "Mr Sunshine" and "Mr Sanitation" and "Mr Patriotic War". :p Maybe there's a family "Kickass BIAB Brewer" around.

Endeth.
Do you now the Turkish word for Kitchen Bribie?

Shit shit shit bloody shit. Brew aborted! Misjudged my new strike temp. On my old equipment I used to heat it 12 degrees hotter than mash temps to allow for the time it took to get into the mashtun and stirred in. So, I heated the water to 77 because I wanted to err on the side of caution plus this was only a single batch and it wouldn't take as long as a double batch. ******* HLT took about 5 mins to drain even after lifting the bloody thing up and pouring it in manually. The mash was only at 56 degrees! Thought a jug of boiling water would fix that up so I did that. Didn't do anything to the temp. Ended up putting 5 x 1.8 litre jugs of boiling water into the mash tun and it would only go up to 60. The litre per kilo was now at 4.7 litres per kilo sitting at 60. I couldn't heat it up anymore so I pulled the plug. Wasn't going to waste my time continuing. Arse!

Steve said:
Shit shit shit bloody shit. Brew aborted! Misjudged my new strike temp. On my old equipment I used to heat it 12 degrees hotter than mash temps to allow for the time it took to get into the mashtun and stirred in. So, I heated the water to 77 because I wanted to err on the side of caution plus this was only a single batch and it wouldn't take as long as a double batch. ******* HLT took about 5 mins to drain even after lifting the bloody thing up and pouring it in manually. The mash was only at 56 degrees! Thought a jug of boiling water would fix that up so I did that. Didn't do anything to the temp. Ended up putting 5 x 1.8 litre jugs of boiling water into the mash tun and it would only go up to 60. The litre per kilo was now at 4.7 litres per kilo sitting at 60. I couldn't heat it up anymore so I pulled the plug. Wasn't going to waste my time continuing. Arse!

That doesn't sound right mate, sounds like a dodgy temp reading at some point in the brew day.

+1 for something wrong in temp dept of strike water. 27*c drop is a lot.

You didnt have your grains and mash tun deep frozen just prior to use.....

I was using my hand held digital one to check the temp of the strike water. Maybe its died in the arse after not been used for 3 years but I doubt itt? The mashmaster style thermometer built into the mashtun was reading 5 degrees less than the digital one. Who knows? Yes my grains and equipment are stored in the garage which is at the typical 5 degrees during our Canberra winters. Time to make some grain dog biscuits.

Still....thats a huge temp difference..

Do you pre heat your tun by pouring in a few litres of hot water and letting it warm up. I found doing this in winter helped.

Back