No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not far off.

Hate pointless meetings. Waste of time. Waste of life. I can hear the brain cells die in there.

Hate shopping for a car. Want/$$$$$ faark.

Hate being in limbo.

Meh, suppose I can have a whinge.

practicalfool said:
Not far off.

Hate pointless meetings. Waste of time. Waste of life. I can hear the brain cells die in there.

Hate shopping for a car. Want/$$$$$ faark.

Hate being in limbo.

Meh, suppose I can have a whinge.

I thought we did ok?

Cocko said:
I thought we did ok?
It's not you, it's me honey.

btw, my friggin pump is some oversized freak. It works but can't bolt down the head. Gah!

Copped a fine on the highway otw back home to boot.

Look on the bright side PF. One more post to 4,000!!

practicalfool said:
It's not you, it's me honey.

btw, my friggin pump is some oversized freak. It works but can't bolt down the head. Gah!

Copped a fine on the highway otw back home to boot.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this post. Something about pumping off and doing something with the head?

If you have ever wondered how Ange Postecoglou got his seemingly ridiculous surname from, it's actually a very interesting historical hangover from the Ottoman Empire.
Prior to World War 1, the Turkish Ottoman Empire controlled much of the Balkans including Greece, and huge areas of the Middle East.

They had no "surname" system as we had in West and most people were named after their location or trade or who their father was, for example Abdul son of Ahmed the Donkey Castrator.

Along the same lines as -sen in Nordic Languages and Mc- in many Celtic lands.

In Turkish, son is "ogul", pronounced "owul" as the g is soft or silent. "oglu" means "son of". Pronounced "owloo" So Postacoglou is a Greek spelling of "Son of Posta or Poste". The "c" would have been put in as Greeks would consider the juxtapositon of the two vowels to be awkward if not downright ugly, so a "c" would be a natural thing for the Greek speech pattern to slip in, as well as pronouncing the soft g as a hard g.

The "oglu" construct is commonly found in Greek Surnames, much as there are millions of McWilliams and McTavishes knocking around in the West.

Not so common in Turkey itself nowadays. When it became a republic after the First World War they gave everyone a proper surname. If they didn't nominate one they were given one, which was issued out of a book with some names we would consider rather funny in the West. So there's a lot of Turks going round with names like "Mr Sunshine" and "Mr Sanitation" and "Mr Patriotic War". :p Maybe there's a family "Kickass BIAB Brewer" around.

Endeth.

Wife: you on that beer page again? You have been on there for hours? What are reading about now?
Me: a history in The Turkish way of naming, including the nomenclature used by the Ottomans, right through to the guy heading up the Aussie soccer team.
Wife: isn't he Greek?
Me: you should create an account on AHB you learn all kinds of stuff.

This woman has a head that is shaped exactly like a mango.

offspring 2.jpg

offspring 1.jpg

I love a nice piece of mango.

I remember that movie. But who's Bob Hawke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mBShX9fdU

Kinda looks like this old bloke.

edit: the funny bit is the homebrewer in me thinks "nice lacing."

Latest posts

Back